Author Topic: James Fanning of Tipperary, Co Tipperary  (Read 19010 times)

Offline Lallygirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Fanning of Tipperary, Co Tipperary
« Reply #18 on: Friday 04 December 09 08:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cathy
I will not be any help to the project until I can go back one more generation. My great great grandfather James fanning married Eliza Lynch in 1869 they only had one son who died age 2. I believe James was born in 1850. His fathers name was james Fanning also I think from the marriage record.

And that is where I am stuck! I have no idea where James was born and if it was actually 1850 or before it. I need to get hold of the Parish records if they exist and see if that was where he was born in Tipperary.

If I ever manage to get back one more generation then i can move forward to find a living descendant.

regards

Jackie
Interested in the surnames of Pizzey, Halfhide, Argent, South, Fanning, Killham and Dell.
Interested in the areas of Essex, Middlesex, Buckinghamshire, Hertfordshire,  Ontario Canada and Australia

Offline Fanningadm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 04 December 09 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jackie,

Do you know if your great great grandfather had any brothers?  Perhaps you can find other Fannings living in the same area and research them.  Often you will need to test uncles, or a least uncles of another generation.

Do you know what religion your family was?

I found a link that might be of use to you if they were Catholic.  http://www.tfhr.org/

Cathy

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Tracing Welsh/Irish roots from Asia with no money!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 05 December 09 00:42 GMT (UK) »
Re the link to TFHR, and just to clarify a common misconception.

If you prefer to do the research for yourself, please note that the Cashel & Emly RC parish records are available free to the public on microfilm at the National Library Of Ireland, Dublin.

I'm not just whistling in the wind here - I checked with the NLI myself by email, and a contact has viewed the Cashel and Emly microfilms there recently. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,418002 for further information.

The Archdiocese website here http://www.cashel-emly.ie/main/history/genealog.htm is incorrect, and TFHR are not the only people with access to the records.

Pete
Most roots researched back to the early/mid 1800s. Years noted as 'pre' refer to my direct ancestors, although I'm interested in any relatives:
Mitchelstown, Co.Cork: CORBETT (pre1935), SWEENEY  (pre1935), CUSACK? (pre1894), KEYS? (pre1894)
Mallow, Co.Cork: BROWNE (1895-1935)
Caher, Co.Tipp: BROWNE (pre1895), PURTELL(pre1895)
Cashel, Co.Tipp: FANNING (pre1886)
Llanelly, Carms: GRIFFITHS (pre1934), REYNOLDS (pre1901), WILLIAMS (pre1934)
Ton Pentre, Glams: LEWIS (pre1901)

Offline Fanningadm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 05 December 09 01:34 GMT (UK) »
Pete,

I live in US so probably won't have a chance to research in Dublin.  Also the Fannings in Australia probably wouldn't have the opportunity either.  If there is a better place to research, or a cheaper method of researching would you post links for us?

Many Catholic records in US are only accessible through Diocese and they will not allow the public to view records due to privacy issues, regardless of how old the records might be.  In reading the TFHR website, it seemed to me that was what they were saying in the topic of "Are Archives Public Records".

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Cathy

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Tracing Welsh/Irish roots from Asia with no money!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 05 December 09 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Ah! Good point!

Like me then you need somebody to go the NLI and look up the parish records. It may be worth checking with your local LDS Family Centre, although as far as I know they don't have the Cashel + Emly parish register microfilms.

Anybody (whether they be an individual, a proxy or professional researcher), can view the microfilmed parish registers (filmed in the 1950s/1960s) at the NLI for free. See the Association of Professional Genealogists in Ireland website here http://www.apgi.ie/News2008.html and scroll down to the entry dated 27th May 2008 - it explains the history of the whole thing.

You are therefore not obliged to use TFHR, despite what the TFHR and the Archdiocese websites say.

The best option would be a researcher in Ireland with the same interest. Unfortunately I haven't come across any local Fanning researchers.

If there's just one or two entries you'd like to check it may me worth putting a lookup request here (I was very lucky - somebody from RootsChat looked up my two records for me at the NLI).

Other than that, I guess it's professional researchers. I've never used researchers, and I have no idea of their fees. Hopefully other RootsChatters can provide personal recommendations?

Personally, I'm putting my Cashel + Emly research on the back burner for now.

Good luck with your research,
Pete
Most roots researched back to the early/mid 1800s. Years noted as 'pre' refer to my direct ancestors, although I'm interested in any relatives:
Mitchelstown, Co.Cork: CORBETT (pre1935), SWEENEY  (pre1935), CUSACK? (pre1894), KEYS? (pre1894)
Mallow, Co.Cork: BROWNE (1895-1935)
Caher, Co.Tipp: BROWNE (pre1895), PURTELL(pre1895)
Cashel, Co.Tipp: FANNING (pre1886)
Llanelly, Carms: GRIFFITHS (pre1934), REYNOLDS (pre1901), WILLIAMS (pre1934)
Ton Pentre, Glams: LEWIS (pre1901)

Offline Lallygirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 06 December 09 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you kob3203 and fanningadm

you have both given me a few things to think about and look up.
I looked into a professional researcher once and they quoted me about $800 Australian dollars. Which was far more than i can afford on my part time wage.

There is also a genealogy centre in Tipperary that has access to parish records but they are only open on certain days and did not respond to an email I sent. I should try emailing them again.

My Fannings were Catholic.

thank you

Jackie
Interested in the surnames of Pizzey, Halfhide, Argent, South, Fanning, Killham and Dell.
Interested in the areas of Essex, Middlesex, Buckinghamshire, Hertfordshire,  Ontario Canada and Australia

Offline peterbernardc

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 25 January 14 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi I know it's a long time since you all put your fanning family on here so I don't know if you are still looking but I am also looking for Fanning's, you mentioned Anthony Fanning he his my great great  uncle and he was born in Workington to John and Elizabeth Fanning, John was a Sailor and not a Tailor as is said on the Marriage cert ( think it must of been a misprint ). There where 5 children 3 boys and 2 girls and it is through 1 of the girls Ann Jane Fanning that is my great great grandmother. If anyone is still looking I would love to hear from you.  Pauline