Author Topic: Bill Threlfall in Machine Gun Corps?  (Read 2291 times)

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bill Threlfall in Machine Gun Corps?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 23:08 BST (UK) »
Think they are two different William threlfalls in MGC.
Your man according to rolls was discharged to class Z in 1919 february.

The 27015 was discharged with SwB

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 16 August 14 16:57 BST (UK) »
I rather hoped they were not the same man! That would have been really confusing, mmm45! I don't know what "Class Z" is, but it doesn't sound very good, - but I'd guess right.
Jess5athome: thank you for the idea of Facebook, but I'm afraid I don't "do" facebook, for a variety of reasons.
I'm going to have to try the researcher quoted earlier - when I work out exactly what to ask, so I don't waste his/her time.
Thanks again for the help and time.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Spikey68

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 16 August 14 17:15 BST (UK) »
Class Z meant that after being discharged he was still liable to be recalled to the service if necessary.

You may also find the following helpful:

http://www.machine-gun-corps-database.co.uk/intro_page.html

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 18 August 14 17:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much, Spikey68. Having looked at that, I think it goes a long way to explaining why I've found it such a hassle even to get the small distance that I did.
It was only the chance discovery, whilst looking at some of my father's badges, buttons, medals etc he'd kept after WWII, that I found, in a brass tin box, (that I think may have been one of those "Christmas box" tins sent to the troops,) his father's, my granddad's medals that made me wonder where he'd served - there was a family legend that, being very tall for his time, he'd accidently been posted at first to a "bantam" regiment where he literally would have stood out!Then he'd moved on.
Then I realised that "W.Threlfall" and a number, and "MGC" was engraved round the edge of each medal. Seeing that the numbers stayed constant, I wondered if it was some sort of service number, through which I might be able to trace where he'd served - I knew he'd not been in for the full War - and eventually reached the information that MGC was the Machine Gun Corps.
And it seems to be there that I've stuck.
I read that site with interest, and I may well either a) enquire of them, or b) send them the very small amount that I know, to add to their records - or both!
Again, thank you.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 18 August 14 18:26 BST (UK) »
Hi ThrelfallYorky, Just to say that the gentleman mentioned in the link from Spikey68 is an absolute wealth of knowledge, if anyone can help you regarding your Grandfather Graham can.

Best of luck with your research.

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands