Author Topic: WARDLAW HELP - Scotlands minister 1779-1853  (Read 14713 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: WARDLAW HELP - Scotlands minister 1779-1853
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 23 February 11 14:43 GMT (UK) »
Statutory registration didn't begin in Scotland until 1855. Before this date, you are reliant on entries from the Old Parish Registers up to 1854. SP have these OPR databases but they are incomplete for many areas for a lot of reasons. I've checked the OPR death & burials database and nothing shows unfortunately.

You have his parents' details from his birth OPR entry in Dalkeith. His OPR marriage entry may or may not show parents, may simply be a one liner unfortunately, as is common for this period. Not sure whether there is a specific date mentioned in any of the links from yesterday on Ralph Wardlaw. One possibility would be to check for an obituary in the Glasgow Herald or the Scotsman for example. I did try yesterday but wasn't really coming across anything. A specific death date would help though to be able to narrow down searches.

The other possibility was that Wills & Testament entry I mentioned. These downloads cost £5, regardless of the number of pages and are purchased separately to the credit units.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 23 February 11 15:05 GMT (UK) »
This link has his years as 22 December 1779–15 December 1853 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Wardlaw

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 23 February 11 15:17 GMT (UK) »

Offline barryr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 31 December 11 05:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jackski

This is my first post.

M.C.REID is a cousin of mine (haven't worked out the exact relationship yet!).  She was a daughter of Rev. John REID and Marianne/Marion/Mary Ann WARDLAW.  Rev. John was my GGF's brother.

M.C. stands for Marianne Christina (Marianne from her mother, Christina from her grandmother).  She was b. c1833 at Bellary, Madras Presidency, India, (the third of five children) and d. on 03 Sep 1866 (as you already know) at Milburn House, Renfrew, Scotland.

I have a lot of information on these families but I have yet to discover who Jane WARDLAW was but I suspect that she was one of Marianne's cousins, perhaps a daughter of one of Dr Ralph WARDLAW's four sons (he also had seven daughters).

What is the exact inscription?

barryr  :)
ADAMSON, Perthshire; HAY, Ardersier; HAY, Banffshire; JOHNSTONE, Aberdeenshire; MORRISON, Stirlingshire; REID, Old Meldrum.

Offline barryr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 31 December 11 05:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Jackski,

When I wrote my last (and first!) post, I was working from memory, which is not a great idea at my age!  Obviously, from the dates, Jane WARDLAW could not have been Marianne Christina's cousin; she is more likely to have been her maternal grandmother, Jane (aka Jean) SMITH who, according to my information, was born c1785 (cf. 1781 from the inscription).  Perhaps the inscription alludes to this?

Marianne Christina was my first cousin, twice removed.

barryr
ADAMSON, Perthshire; HAY, Ardersier; HAY, Banffshire; JOHNSTONE, Aberdeenshire; MORRISON, Stirlingshire; REID, Old Meldrum.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 31 December 11 11:33 GMT (UK) »
I seem to have been thwarted by the fact that Scotland's BMD records are not available on-line without a subscription of some sort, unlike the English ones.

Please tell me where you have been able to view English BMD records online without you or anyone else (like your library) paying a subscription? I can find lots of places where, by paying a subscription, I can view the indexes to the English BMDs, but nowhere where I can view the actual certificates. I'd love to be able to access digital images of the English ones online, like I can do for Scottish ones.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 31 December 11 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi barryr

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Jackski should get notification of your last post and hopefully post back.

Monica

PS: Forfarian, likely jackski was referring to freebmd and such other sites which are available for the English and Welsh indexes....just the way it was expressed. Without the IGI for Scotland (up to 1875ish when it tails off), you are obliged to pay/use your minimum 1 unit to view search results on the index on Scotlands People, which is a pity...and I am a huge fan of SP for all great info it does deliver economically overall.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 31 December 11 17:44 GMT (UK) »
PS: Forfarian, likely jackski was referring to freebmd and such other sites which are available for the English and Welsh indexes

Very likely. If so, jackski is not comparing like with like. These are only INDEXES and apart from FreeBMD most if not all of them are on subscription web sites. There is nowhere online where you can access English birth, marriage and death certificates at all, let alone for free, unless you happen to find someone who has bought some for their own family and put them online.

If you want an English certificate you have to send away for it, and it currently costs £9.25 per certificate.

30 credits for Scotland's People cost £7 (they were £6 for some years) and if you get your search right each certificate costs 1 credit for the search and 5 for the downlaod, total 6 credits, or in other words one certificate costs £1.40, and your £7 buys you digital images of five certificates. So for the price of one English certificate you get six Scottish ones, and a few pence left over.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline barryr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 06 January 12 06:23 GMT (UK) »
A brief death notice for Jane Smith Wardlaw in the Glasgow Herald - Nov 18, 1864. Pg 5, towards the bottom of the 3rd column in from the r/h side http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=GGgVawPscysC&dat=18641118&printsec=frontpage

I can't display this death notice on my wide-screen monitor large enough to be able to read it.  Magnifying it just places the notice "off screen" and the articles are jumbled around.  Could someone who can actually see it please transcribe it for me?

Thanks,

barryr