Author Topic: *Completed*Robert ROBSON in Glasgow Censuses and Cemeteries  (Read 5810 times)

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Robert ROBSON in Glasgow Censuses and Cemeteries
« Reply #9 on: Friday 01 April 11 07:43 BST (UK) »
1841 Census - Living at Canning Place, Glasgow St. Mungo

Neil Robson, age 33, born c1808, Scotland, Civil Engineer
Richard Robson, age 20, born c1821, Scotland, C. Ap?

There were also 2 servants listed:

Mary Caldwell age 20
Agnes Wilson age 20

Anne

Offline apanderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 01 April 11 07:47 BST (UK) »
The Mitchell Library in Glasgow has Burial Records for the Necropolis on Microfilm, so if you were to contact them, supplying names and dates of death, they'll do a look up for you.

I don't know whether there are Lair Owners Records available for the Necropolis - this would obviously be the easiest route to follow providing you knew the details of both the Section and the Lair Number?

Burial Records are in date order, so it would be a case of trying to trace each individual by the date of their death.

Anne

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 01 April 11 07:54 BST (UK) »
This is hugely helpful, thank you

From an online obituary, I discovered that Neil Robson's father was Robert, so that carries me back another generation.

The Richard in 1841 must be a relative - perhaps a brother - of Neil's.

I really appreciate all your help with this inquiry.

Regards and thanks

Philip Candy

Offline apanderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 01 April 11 08:04 BST (UK) »
My pleasure Philip!

You didn't say which in which newspaper you had found Neil's Obituary?

Have a look here (Glasgow Herald): http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=GGgVawPscysC&dat=18690202&printsec=frontpage&hl=en

I'm not sure whether the above link will take you to the exact page, but if you look at the edition of February 2nd, 1869 and go to page 5, at the top of column 1 is an Obituary and on the same page, on column 6 (about 2/3rd's down) is the Intimation of his death.

Anne

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 01 April 11 08:35 BST (UK) »
Anne

This is great; I wonder if there's an obituary for his sons - especially Robert who died on 1 August 1874?

The obits I found using Google Books and they were in Engineering, Railways and other professional journals. Often you are limited to just snippet views, which are tantalizing, if somewhat unsatisfying!

Best regards

Philip

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 01 April 11 09:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Philip

Interesting further bios on Neil Robson here:

www.scottisharchitects.org.uk/architect_full.php?id=202953
www.archive.org/stream/proceedingsroya08glasgoog/proceedingsroya08glasgoog_djvu.txt (large document, use 'find' for Neil Robson!).

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 01 April 11 10:28 BST (UK) »
There looks to have been a legal dispute against Margaret Forrester Robson by a Robert Forrester who I think was involved in the coal business of Forrester & Robson following the death of Robert Robson, see the Glasgow Herald on January 29, 1875 http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=GGgVawPscysC&dat=18750129&printsec=frontpage&hl=en - page 5, start of column 6.

The main free Glasgow newspaper archives available currently to view on line are for the Glasgow Herald, issues range from 1800 - 1990. More issues continue to be added. The only problem is that you cannot search editions by key words, so you have to know what dates to check before starting a search. http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=GGgVawPscysC - simply add year for search to see what issues may be available (insert a year in 'Date' box).

There are gaps on available issues though.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 02 April 11 08:23 BST (UK) »
I just wanted to thank you very much for all this information and very helpful leads about the ROBSON family of Glasgow.

I started off not knowing very much at all about this family, and now I feel I have a really good undetstanding of the family, and some excellent leads to follow up.

Thank you very much for all your help and advice.

Kind regards --- Philip

Offline PelicanPlace

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: *Completed*Robert ROBSON in Glasgow Censuses and Cemeteries
« Reply #17 on: Monday 28 July 14 05:26 BST (UK) »
I was searching for information on Robert Robson and came across this old post. In a letter that I have which was written in 1874 was mention of the accident that killed Robert. He apparently fell from his horse which then rolled on him. The letter also states that he left a widow and 3 children. I was trying to determine if he was related and in the posts I see that one of the children has Merry in her name. My husbands Great x 2 grandfather's( the letter writer) 1st wife was a Merry so that must be where the connection is. Hope this is some interest  for you.