Author Topic: lookup wanted at NAI please  (Read 834 times)

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
lookup wanted at NAI please
« on: Friday 18 April 14 15:56 BST (UK) »
Hi.
I have just been reading on the Australian Society of Genealogists website the following:

Irish Land Commission, Dublin: There are approximately 10,000 copies of pre-1858 wills in the collections of estate papers lodged with the Commission for establishment of title when estates were being sold under various Land Acts from 1870. This collection of wills was fully indexed by the late Edward Keane of the National Library of Ireland and copies of the index are available in NAI and PRONI.

I am wondering if anyone might be able to lookup some names for me in Keane's index.

Thanks, Katharine.

Offline meath999

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: lookup wanted at NAI please
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 April 14 15:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Katharine,

I am afraid the author of the piece you quoted has only got half the story, i.e. the good half. Yes,.. the Irish Land Commission has in its records an "El Dorado" of thousands of Wills etc,.. Yes there is even a card index to those records currently kept in the Manuscript Room of the National Library in Dublin. Now for the bad half. The Records themselves are kept in Portlaoise,  and are not available to the general public, genealogists etc.  I refer you to an extract below from the Irish Roots Column maintained by John Grenham in the Irish Times newspaper in Sept 2013.

irishtimes.com/ancestor
    The Land Commission’s Dark Secrets
    September 23, 2013 @ 12:17 pm | by John Grenham

Outside the National Archives, the largest single collection of Irish records covering the late 19th and early 20th centuries belongs to the Land Commission. The Commission was set up in 1881 under the Land Acts, to facilitate and eventually subsidise transfers of land ownership from large landlords to small tenants. After Independence, it continued in existence in the Republic, with expanded powers of compulsory purchase, and a huge loan from the British government. Its principal function became the breaking up of large estates, so-called “untenanted ranches”, and the redistribution of land, mainly to local smallholders.

Its work obliged it to establish who had legal title to the properties, a hugely complex task. So it began to collect wills, correspondence, estate records, family trees, lease-books, tenants’ lists, maps, deeds, correspondence and much more. According to Terence Dooly’s excellent history of the post-1922 Commission, The Land for the People (UCD, 2004), it holds approximately 11 million separate items.

But where are they? In a warehouse in a Portlaoise industrial estate. And how can you get access? Amazingly, you have to supply individual written permission from descendants of all those involved in the original transactions. The Department of Agriculture still vehemently fends off researchers, describing the records as private property. See tinyurl.com/p6txt9m for their 2012 thinking.

However, the Department happily handed over pre-1923 Ulster records to The Public Record Office of Northern Ireland, and PRONI has made them public. Search proni.gov.uk for “Land commission” for a poignant whiff of what we’re missing.

The real reason for the sealing of these records is undoubtedly fear of political skeletons. After 1922, the distribution of compulsorily-purchased land was deeply politicised and subject to an unspoken political understanding: “We won’t take back the farms ye gave yeer people, if ye leave what we give our people alone”.

But the last compulsory purchase happened in 1983 and the Commission itself was abolished in 1992. How long can it possibly take to decontaminate this part of our history?