Author Topic: Marriage of John Pellatt and Ann Haman  (Read 3637 times)

Offline jibba

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Nothing is true, everything is permitted
    • View Profile
Marriage of John Pellatt and Ann Haman
« on: Friday 26 October 12 23:35 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I'm trying to locate the location of my 10th great-grandfathers first marriage. His name was John Pellatt (c.1636-1687) and is believed to have married Ann Haman (1644-1680) on 2 Feb 1662. The source for this date comes from an IGI batch file, M01134-4, which is full of random Sussex (and some London) marriages. In the case of John and Ann, their location is simply listed as 'Sussex'

After this marriage, John remained in Kent, finally settling in Sandhurst. I haven't found the marriage record in any of the Kent border parishes. I've also looked for this entry in the Sussex Marriage Index, which didn't show up, nor could I find it on the SFHG website.

I did see from an old site a rumour that maybe John was a Quaker. I did a quick search on the bmdregisters.co.uk, and saw in the search results a marriage entry for an Ann Haman record in 1662 in Sussex, but couldn't see a John Pellatt when doing a random search to under his name to match up to the Ann Haman record

If there is anyone who could help me out, I would be really grateful

Regards
Lee

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of John Pellatt and Ann Haman
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 October 12 23:54 BST (UK) »
Hi

I dont have a sub. for FindMyPast but in the Parish Marriage Registers, if you put in John Pellatt you get this

PELLAT   John   1662      Society of Friends   Surrey

If you put in ANNE HAMMON you get this

HAMMON   Anne   1662      Society of Friends   Surrey

It looks like a Quaker Marriage

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jibba

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Nothing is true, everything is permitted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 October 12 11:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Claire

Thanks for responding so quickly

I looked into the marriage on bmdregisters site, which on the index revealed that the Groom was a John 'Sellar' and that the marriage took place at Warbleton on '2 April 1662'. However upon looking at the image associated with it, it revealed the date as 2 Feb 1662 and the groom's surname looks more like Pellat than Sellar.

I am intrigued by the reference in the FindMyPast register, and why the location has been recorded as Surrey. Did Quaker events get announced in other areas? i.e. similar to Banns?

I don't have a subscription to FindMyPast, but if someone out there does have one, could you please see what details are recorded for the Surrey entry?

Regards
Lee

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 October 12 15:36 BST (UK) »

FindMyPast only has transcript details - no image  :(  Information comes from Boyd's 1st Misc. Series 1538-1775

Microfiche copies are held at the Society of Genealogists

Suey

All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline Geoff_B

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 September 14 12:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Lee, only just seen your post - I'm new to Rootschat. John is my 10th Grt Grandfather; my records show that his Wife, Ann Hamon, died 9 Jan 1700 at Sandhurst.
Although others suggest that John married Ann Hamon at Warbleton in Sussex, it seems more likely that they married in Kent - probably at Cranbrook - Ann's birth place and also where Abraham Crittenden (see below) resided. Their 2 children were born at Newenden, the adjacent village.

Warbleton, No. 1138 -"John Pellet took to wife Ann Haman the second day of ye second Month one thousand six hundred & sixty two att a meeting of this people of Grod att the house of Abraham Crissenden."  [from a register of the Society of Friends]

John, like his siblings, was born in Bignor, Sussex but subsequently travelled west to Sandhurst in Kent, the county where this branch of the Pellatt line was to reside for the next two hundred years.  The following offers a likely explanation.

[From "Non-parochial Registers" The Soc. of Friends]:
“John was a passionate and outspoken dissenter who took on the Quaker cause.  He moved from Steyning area to Warbleton after disrupting of a sermon at Westmeston in 1657 causing him being sent to a house of correction.

As already intimated the Pellatts figured both as persecutors and as sufferers in connection with the introduction into Sussex of the doctrines of the people in scorne called Quakers. In indicating this connection, of course, no general account of this remarkable religious movement can be attempted, a brief reference to one or two cases in which j the Pelletts and their friends were concerned being all I have space for. When George Fox visited the county in 1655 one John Pellat is found assisting to break up a meeting at the house of Nicholas Rickman in Arundel, and to get one Thomas Lamcock, who had just been liberated from Horsham Prison, sent back there again. Soon after this, Fox came to Steyning and, by permission of the constable, held a meeting in the Market Place. Some of the Pellatts accepted his teaching, for in 1657 we find an interesting account of John Pellatt going into the Parish Church at Westmeston [near Lewes] and interrogating the clergyman "touching what he had been delivering." Incited by the minister the congregation hauled John Pellet before a magistrate, who committed him to prison, where he lay three months, and then was called to the "Barr" at the Lewes Sessions, to find sureties for his good behaviour. Being hustled and roughly handled in Court, one William Holbeam was fined £3 for interposing to save him from the crowd and preventing his being trampled upon, while he himself and one Richard Pratt (who helped to protect him from the rabble in the streets while on his way to the House of Correction) were both committed to prison, but soon after were liberated. The sufferings of Ambrose Galloway would fill a volume ; they extended over a period of nearly forty years. He was repeatedly fined, imprisoned and excommunicated for attending meetings or for refusing to attend services at the Parish Church. Samuel Astie, "a most zealous informer," and Thomas Barrett appear as persecutors of the Quakers. Nicholas Beard was one of the sufferers, Ninion Bracket was another, Abraham Crittenden another, the former being imprisoned for refusing to take an oath, the latter being exorbitantly fined. Many of the warrants for apprehending the Quakers in Lewes were issued by Justice Henry Shelly [the overseer of John Pellatt's Brother, Thomas', Will]. Mary Akehurst, of the Cliff, was brutally tortured by her husband, as well as roughly used by the people. William Alcock was Clerk of the Peace at the Court of Sessions at Lewes [& Father-inLaw of John Pellatt's Brother, Thomas]. “

Abraham Crittenden (junior) was the Son of another Abraham, born in Cranbrook, Kent in abt 1610 & was the founder of the 'Guildford Colony' in America, where he died in abt 1683.  Since Abraham Junior had travelled to America in around 1646, the reference above must be to his Father.  The following is from the "Genealogies of Connecticut Families", Vol 1, p. 502: "Abraham Cruttenden (also  spelt Crittenden) was one of the first settlers of Guilford and was one of the 25 signers of the Plantation Covenant in 1639. It is said that he came from the County of Kent in England and had been a neighbor of William Chittenden, whose widow he afterwards married

Offline maidofkent50

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 March 17 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Geoff
Just found this thread, I'm new on here today and believe these are my 8th GGparents as this ties in with basic info that I had already found, so to find all these amazing details and info is great!

Thanks so much!
maidofkent

Waterhouse, Piper, French, Pellatt, Eastwood, Monk, Bourne, Pratt, Leper