Author Topic: Shoemaker dies aged 27  (Read 4660 times)

Offline Jill on the A272

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Shoemaker dies aged 27
« Reply #9 on: Monday 11 August 14 17:58 BST (UK) »
This site may be of use to you, Mrs Murrell is listed at the Plough at Queen's Gardens

http://mhms.org.uk/

Offline Murrell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 11 August 14 18:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the link Jan on the A272 I shall look at that.
Hello Artifis How cool to brew and sell your own beer. I had thought Mary Piper/Murrell was an off licence or shop but the mention of a pub in the family appeals to all LOL.
 Your point it was a second income would probably be more to the truth, otherwise she Mary would have said on the census she was a licencee.  Her husband  William dies at 50yrs 1837 I do not know what his trade was!  I'm going a little off track here as I was looking at her son Richard shoemaker but its all good and I am always impressed that there are so many kind people will to give knowledge and advice on this excellent site.  ;D Kathleen
As I was replying to messages yours came through, cheers Jan I will look at that now.
Power Ward Rooney  Southern Ireland

Offline Murrell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 11 August 14 19:21 BST (UK) »
This site may be of use to you, Mrs Murrell is listed at the Plough at Queen's Gardens

http://mhms.org.uk/
What an excellent site, found William Murrell husband of Mary nee Piper 1832 listed as Retailer of beer 1 North Garden
I am now wondering if the Mrs Murrell you mention Plough Queen Gardens is related!!!!
Also the other site you sent Regency Society was very interesting thank you  ;D Kathleen
Power Ward Rooney  Southern Ireland

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 10:18 BST (UK) »
It might be worth going to Cassini Maps and buying - £9.99 - a downloadable A3 copy of the 1876-77 1:2500 scale Ordnance Survey map of the area, once it's on your computer you can zoom in quite a lot and pubs are noted.  I've used the maps a lot for my ancestors, especially for those that ran pubs in many parts of the country.  If you locate Trafalgar Street towards the top of the screen and Queens Road on the left about a quarter in on the current day map you'll find it then covers the area you're looking for on the old map when you click on the Choose Map icon on the top / right of the screen.