Author Topic: Masterson Family, Monart civil parish area, Wexford?  (Read 14265 times)

Offline betina

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Masterson Family, Monart civil parish area, Wexford?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 06 May 12 19:11 BST (UK) »
hi cien.
i am a masterson from tomanoole. i believe your/my family lived in toombe near camolin/ferns before moving to tomanoole..  a lot of information about the origins of the mastersons coming to live in ferns castle from cheshire during queen elizabeth the 1st reign can be found on the internet, my great grandfather philip i believe had three brothers.. two apparently emigrated to america in the mid 1800s, whilst philip remained on the farm the other brother henry married a lady next door and he move onto her farm.   the mastersons from monart was my uncle from tomanoole but moved there when he got married. my mother remembers someone visiting her 3/4 years ago researching the masterson history. unfortunately that is all the information i have at the moment.....bethan.             

Offline cein

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 21 October 12 22:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Betina,
Sorry to take so long in answering your post.  We are trying to give some time to this puzzle, but life seems to interfere.  Your information is most intriguing. 
The Masterson brothers, Michael and John, who came to Canada in 1855 settled near St. Thomas and then Chatham, Ontario, Canada.  It is believed that other brothers stayed in Ireland.  In the 1901 census for Monart parish there was a Philip and Henry living side by side.  Were they brothers perhaps?  Is it possible that Michael and John are brothers of Philip or Henry or both?  One was listed as Catholic, one Protestant in the census. I was wondering how this came about?  I have been told that the family was both sometimes. 
My Masterson cousins, two brothers one from Calgary and one who still lives in Chatham,  did travel to Ireland and visited a Masterson relation in Tomanoole in 2007.  They probably met your mother. 
Just so many interesting possibilities.  Thank you for your help, and patience.
Cein
Henley, Marsh, Camies: Sussex, England
Hetherington/Hetherton: Fife, Scotland
Jeffrey, Muirhead: Midlothian, Scotland
Arnot(t): Linlithgow, West Lothian
Gemmell: Aberdeen, Scotland
Masterson: Wexford, Ireland
Jeffrey, Weber: Ontario, British Columbia
Green, Livens, Bell, McDonald: Ontario

Offline powerwicklow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 16:17 BST (UK) »
Hi .
In my travels researching my own family I came across the attached headstone at Ballycarney Church.. Seeing Tomanoole mentioned I thought there might be a connection with families mentioned. Rebecca Masterson I believe was a Levingstone  and Margaret's maiden name was possibly Barber.

John
Webster , Parker and Smith in Wicklow. Power , Lewis and Livingstone in Carlow and Wexford. Forde in Monaghan . Orr in Cavan.

Offline cein

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 13 September 14 20:16 BST (UK) »
Hi John,
Thank you so much for sending this photo along with the additional information.  It is very kind of you to take the time to search this gravestone out.  We believe that Philip could have been the brother of our two relatives that emigrated to Canada in about 1855.  Their names were Michael and John.  We are still trying to prove this for sure.
Take care and again many thanks
Best regards,
Cein

Offline powerwicklow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 15 September 14 11:22 BST (UK) »
Hi.
 If it is any help to you see attached marriage for Philip Masterson and Rebecca Levingstone.

John
Webster , Parker and Smith in Wicklow. Power , Lewis and Livingstone in Carlow and Wexford. Forde in Monaghan . Orr in Cavan.

Offline cein

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 15 September 14 20:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jack and PatriciaEarle.  These are interesting finds that I will have to study.
Tomanoole, our Masterson's are from the Catholic side but I understand both sides were neighbours and friends in Tomanoole so if you have any info that would be great.  I'm especially looking for info from about 1856 and earlier, before some of our family emigrated to Canada.  I'd like to find out any info on John Masterson and his wife Elizabeth Byron, who remained in Tomanoole and their children, Michael, John, Eliza, Edward and Ann, who emigrated to Canada in about 1856.
Best regards,
Cein

Offline powerwicklow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 15 September 14 21:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Cein.

My interest in the Masterson family is from the marriage of Philip Masterson to Rebecca Levingstone . It would be the Levingstone side of the family I am following but if I come across any information connected to yourself I will post to the board.

John

Offline cein

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 15 September 14 21:09 BST (UK) »
Sorry John, I misspelled your name!
I heard a cute story about Philip when he was a boy.  He was from the Protestant Masterson's and my relatives were Catholic.  When Philip would come over to play with our Masterson's they would tease him and say he had to say the rosary first.  They were great friends.
Cein

Offline chrismasterson

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 19 September 14 02:31 BST (UK) »
Cein: Your stories are very similar to the research I have done.  Your comments about two brothers visiting Ireland - are about my brother Dan and Myself in 2007.  We met Philomena Masterson (her maiden name) while in Ireland and her son Eugene and daughter, Brigid.  And heard the humorous story of Philip visiting the Catholics from Philomena.  I have detailed information on the Mastersons from Tomanoole, Michael, John, Edward, Ann and Eliza.  From my research and a letter, dated 1867 in our history files from our great, great grandmother B. Masterson, only one son stayed in Ireland - Henry and he married a Pembroke ----Information I have, I obtained from Wexford Genealogy and our visit to the graveyards in Castledockrell and Marshallstown, and much time in the Catholic Diocese of London, Ontario. 

I could provide my research results if you are interested.  I still live in Ontario Canada

Chris