Author Topic: Maritime Connections  (Read 69766 times)

Offline rogerwill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Maritime Connections
« Reply #54 on: Friday 02 May 14 00:02 BST (UK) »
Good Afternoon,

I was very surprised to come across this site.  My grandfather was Captain George Murphy, and my father was John F Murphy both of The Faythe.  Captain George's parents were John & Mary Murphy.

My grandmother's father was so seafaring and his name was Carty.  He was in a tug boat rescue in the middle of the 1800(s). 

Captain George (dob? 1856) and my grandmother Elizabeth (Nellie) Carty (dob 1900) both passed away within a month of each other in early 1940.  Captain George captained 'Mary and Gertude", "Fleetwing" - 1918-1920, "Edith May" and owned "Princess Louise". He also commanded the "Lunesdale" and the "Elaine Anne" to London as a delivery to new owners.  I am very interested in any Martime history of Wexford and am eager to read and share information that I have compiled through time.

Thank you for your insight. 

I am interested in this as I am researching the life of a Wexford sailor, Thomas Murphy, born in 1870, son of Matthew Murphy and his wife Mary Howlin, in John Street. He married Mary Edmonds in 1899 and settled in her family home in Faythe Street, Wexford. He was involved in sea rescues in 1908 in Rosslare and again in 1917, this time in the Bristol Channel. I'm trying to trace what happened to him after 1919. I assumed he continued living in Faythe St. Can anyone help?

Roger

Offline shellback

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Saturday 03 May 14 09:47 BST (UK) »
Not sure if I have the same man but there was a Thomas 'The Roller' Murphy from that street who went to sea . He was noted for the various awards he received  for  saving lives at sea . As far as I can recollect he died at sea from a disease that wiped out a few members of the crew of his ship. This is all from memory, I will check into my records as time permits. Hope this is of help .

Offline rogerwill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Monday 05 May 14 10:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply Shellback. I'd be delighted if it was the same man. The 1911 census suggests there were 3 Thomas Murphys living on the street, sailors all, though I would imagine only one was a lifesaver.

'My' Thomas Murphy was awarded a Sea Gallantry Medal for his actions while serving as Mate of the Ocean Maid on 6 March 1908. The Ocean Maid, a two masted 100 ton schooner which had been built in 1861 in Fraserburgh and was owned by Patrick Byrne of Wexford, was carrying coal from Newport, Monmouthshire to Wexford. It had been at anchor in Rosslare Bay when a force 10 north-westerly gale resulted in it becoming stranded in the harbour on the west side of the pier. Coastguards from the Coastguard Station at Ballygeary, under Chief Officer Mulligan, brought out the rocket apparatus, the first rocket successfully trailing a line to the ship. Three of the crew, including Thomas Murphy, were thus safely landed in a breeches buoy. The Master, Thomas Kehoe, one of Wexford’s longest serving captains, was a heavy man of 67 and, having seen his crew ashore, put himself with some difficulty into the breeches buoy. When about 20 yards from the wreck he fell out of the buoy into the sea and was unable to grab the whip cord and sank beneath the water. Thomas Murphy and Coastguards Smith and Lennard rushed into the surf and at great risk brought him ashore. Although artificial respiration was attempted for two hours, Captain Kehoe failed to revive.

He then got another medal from Lloyds in 1917 for saving several people when his ship was sunk by a mine.

Any further info would be great.

Roger

Offline shellback

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Monday 14 July 14 23:42 BST (UK) »
That's him ,for sure.I will see if I can find his obit from the local paper. Might take some time though

Offline rogerwill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 01:21 BST (UK) »
Shellback, that would be great! i look forward to what you find.

Thanks again.

Roger

Offline PJB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Monday 26 January 15 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Still researching my Maritime Butlers from the Faythe and Maudlintown, I came across a strange record today for John Butler born 1830 in Wexford, in the column for 1856 it states :-

"Murdered in Galatea" 22\9\1856".

I have just finished reading a book called Maritime Wexford  and in it provides, in chapter 8, details of trade between Wexford and Galatz in Rommania during the mid 1800. I wonder if Galatea should really be Galatz, if so does anyone know about the murder.

Butler, Delaney, Phelan Gaffney, Nolan, Colman in Ireland

Watson, Nobbs, Page, Shorten in England

Offline shellback

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 27 January 15 11:19 GMT (UK) »
 The Wexford/ Galatz service began around 1837 .The place is now called Galati not sure what it was known as before Galatz. It does seem possible that Galatea and Galatz are one and the same. I still haven't come across any details   relevant  to your earlier query but am still keeping an eye out.

Offline PJB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 27 January 15 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Shellback

I have done some more research and it does look like Galatea and Galati are the same place, like you I am also puzzled by Galataz, but that's what the book calls it.

It seems that the Devereux ships  Alert and Hantoon both met disaster when returning from Galati

I did find out the that Clement Butler, Master Mariner, born Wexford in 1872 died in Liverpool in 1941, he married a lady called Mary Busher. born Wexford 13 Aug 1874, in Liverpool in 1903. Mary Busher was the daughter of Walter Busher and Eliza Breene from the Faythe, Walter was also a Master Mariner.

Clement Butlers sister Catherine Butler married Clément's friend John Hugh Ambrose from Liverpool, John had changed his surname from Amburger in 1903 his father was Russian and his Mother German. John had his Masters Ticket but was serving as 2nd Mate aboard the S.S. "Clangula" when it was sunk by UC 77 (Reinhard von Rabenau) 4 miles SW3/4W from Hartland Point.

Rank   Second Mate
Unit   S.S. "Clangula" (Cork)
Regiment   Mercantile Marine
Died   19-11-1917, age 44
Cause of death   Drowned, as a result of an attack by enemy submarine
Notes   Husband of Catherine Ambrose, of 17, Albert Rd., Tue Brook, Liverpool. Born at Liverpool.

Butler, Delaney, Phelan Gaffney, Nolan, Colman in Ireland

Watson, Nobbs, Page, Shorten in England

Offline jpm271

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 14:15 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to hunt down information on Michael Boggan from Wexford who was born in the 1830s.  He and his family (wife Julia and son Moses) ended up in Buffalo, NY, in the early 1870s.  Both Michael and Moses sailed the Great Lakes upon their arrival.  Michael died young (1876), but in a news article/interview with Moses, it was noted that Michael sailed on the James Baines from London to Melbourne in 1854, when it set a record for speed.  I haven't been able to find much of anything on the crew from that trip.

I noted in the list from 1901 there was a Master Mariner named Moses Boggan.  While this isn't my Moses, I'd have to think there was some sort of relation because of the name and occupation.

Faythe     No. of Houses -195

John McDonald,    Marine Engineer
Edward Doyle,    Sailor
Frank Wadding,    Sailor
John Leader,       Sailor
Stephen Furlong,    Seaman
John Kelly,       Ship Carpenter (Master)
Thomas Kelly,    Ship Carpenter
James Kelly,       Ship Carpenter
Daniel McDonald,    Dock Labourer
James Storey,       Master Mariner
Patrick Kelly,       Shipwright
Robert Smith,       Sailor
John Doyle,       Dock Labourer
James Nolan,       Sailor
Evans Byrne,       Pilot
James Mansfield,    Sailor
John Doyle,       Master Mariner
William Wafer,    Lightship Service