Author Topic: Cheltenham Directories?  (Read 7208 times)

Offline Balwyn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cheltenham Directories?
« on: Monday 08 July 13 00:53 BST (UK) »

Is it possible to locate the Henry CARTER family through directories in Cheltenham? Henry was a Surgeon/Dentist in Cheltenham between 1829 & 1839 and where supposedly four of his children were born (we've been unable to find the children's baptismal records in Cheltenham, yet all four children in later documents, state Cheltenham as their birth place). I wonder how a Surgeon/Dentist would advertise during that time frame.  CARTER is located in London by the 1840s, but it's the earlier period that we wish to research - especially the birth/baptismal details for Ernest b.1829. Other children Albert, Rosa, Henry - all born in Cheltenham.
Ernest migrated to Australia in 1852, where this enquiry originates.

Balwyn 🐝

Offline SWar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Cheltenham Directories?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 July 13 11:13 BST (UK) »
Hi,

There are some directories on this site but I can't see your Henry.

http://www.cheltenham4u.co.uk/community/familyhistory.asp

Sue

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 July 13 12:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Balwyn,
I am currently working on the Cheltenham Directory records and will get back to you with any results.
Meanwhile, there is a birth registered for a Henry CARTER, 1839 Cheltenham 11 202 Mar Qtr. His mother is nee CLART.
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline Balwyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 July 13 12:57 BST (UK) »

Hi Victor

That indeed is the Henry son of Henry & Priscilla (nee CLART). I'm unclear where that registration is located - church record?

Balwyn

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 July 13 13:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Balwyn,
There are many parish churches in Cheltenham, and without details of where young Henry CARTER was born in Cheltenham, it would be a big task to try and find his baptism. I can only advise that you purchase a copy of his birth certificate. I will check the St Mary, Cheltenham baptism records for you on my next visit to Glos Archives to see if I can find Henry's baptism.
Cheltenham was a Spa town and it is possible that he moved around carrying out dental services, for people taking the waters, particularly in Bath, which is some 45 miles south of Cheltenham.
Victor
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 July 13 13:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Balwyn,
The familysearch website records the following marriage:-
Henry CARTER married Priscilla Ann CLART at St Mary, Abchurch, London on 24th May 1825.
Yours?
Victor

Offline Balwyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 July 13 00:18 BST (UK) »

Hi Victor

Many thanks for your replies. Yes, the marriage record is the correct family.  I'm interested in the information that you have given concerning the likelihood of CARTER moving about between the Spa towns of Cheltenham & Bath to provide dental services to the influx of visitors etc. This would fit with ERNEST's birth in Bath (given on the 1851 census) & the family moving to Cheltenham (where he states he was born in Oz documents) shortly afterwards. The family appear quite opportunistic, as sons ERNEST & HENRY jnr (latter also migrated to Oz), not only followed in their father's profession, but used our gold rush to help flush their funds! They both advertised extensively through the press & I wonder if HENRY snr did likewise. They also advertised their b.d.& m. details in the newspapers. My interest is primarily ERNEST whose original property in Melbourne has survived ( with so much destruction around that 's a miracle). Have any newspapers of the Cheltenham/Bath region been digitised? Looks like finding ERNEST's baptismal record is going to be extremely tricky, despite establishing the location of the family there from 1829-1839.

Balwyn 🐝

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 July 13 09:14 BST (UK) »
The British Newspaper Archive:

http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

includes newspapers from Somerset and Gloucestershire.  Searching is free, but you need to buy credits to view the images.
Depending on whereabouts  you live in Australia, your public library may allow members free access at home to  the 19th Century British Newspapers collection, which does not include as much material from the Somerset and Gloucestershire area, but may have something helpful. 

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 July 13 15:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Balwyn,
I checked the whole year, 1839 at St Mary parish church, now St Mary Minster, and found NO trace of a baptism for Henry CARTER.
Victor