Author Topic: AYLOTT - Clay End - Walkern  (Read 13326 times)

Offline Gee Ganz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: AYLOTT - Clay End - Walkern
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 19 May 09 16:41 BST (UK) »
Hello regarding Clay End Walkern Hertfordshire my family, the Harts, lived there mid-late 1800s and were millers and AgLabs.   There used to be a windmill at Clay End which no longer exists.   I visited Clay End the other day just to see what the area was like, it is about 20 minutes by car from me.    You leave Walkern High Street and approach Clay End left at the War Memorial and up a hill - a very narrow road.   Clay Hall, now Walkern Hall, is at the top.    There is a farm there and just a handful of cottages.     Absolutely stunning countryside.  I wrote to the farmer asking about the existence of the windmill and his wife replied that they never knew one existed.  I have found a 1851 map of John Izzard Pryor showing the whereabouts of the Mill.    An interesting book is the Diary of John Izzard Pryor - A Chronicle of Small Beer by Gerald Curtis.  John Izzard Pryor had Clay Hall built and lived there with him family until his death.    If you live in the UK well worth trying to borrow it from you library.    I also noticed the Aylott gardener in the family as I have Aylotts, Harts, Waldock, Spriggins, Warners and more.   I couldn't actually link this Aylott to my family but I have to say I didn't spend a lot of time of that part of the family.   Hope this is of interest.

Offline Gee Ganz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 19 May 09 16:44 BST (UK) »
http://www.walkernhall.co.uk/index.html - Have a look at this link - Clay Hall today.

Offline SAM100

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 22 May 09 04:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the information. :)
I hope to visit it when I am next in England :) :)

Offline benzon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 08 June 09 14:34 BST (UK) »
There were Aylotts at Albury, Herts.  Some emigrated to Australia.  There is also a book on Hertfordshire Windmills.  Not sure of its exact title but written and researched by Wally Wright.
LAWRENCE - Gt Hormead, HUTCHIN - Albury, CARTER/CARTER CLAY - St Albans/Stanstead Abbotts, BURTON - Hoddesdon, WARD - Hunsdon, BEARD - Ware, LEE - Cripplegate/Glemsford

Offline Tom 23

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 22 October 13 15:34 BST (UK) »
http://www.walkernhistorysociety.co.uk/

You will also find information on Walkern Hall, the windmill and Aylott Family on this website.

My G-Grandfather Frederick Beadle was horsekeeper to Miss Cotton-Browne in the late C19th and early C20th at Walkern Hall.

He also lived in a cottage in clay end which was part of the estate that he got as part of the job.

Offline SAM100

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 22 October 13 18:05 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the link.
Some of the articles make for fascinating reading. :)

Offline CaliforniaUSA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 01 February 14 23:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi!  I was browsing family history and came across the Rootschat site and your question.  I realize that you asked your question some time ago and have probably gotten all the information you need but .... I was born and raised in Clay End for 20 years and couldn't resist adding my 10 cents  ;D

My father worked at Walkern (Clay) Hall for approx 50 years.  Clay End would be described as a hamlet and, for a time, the houses were all 'tied' houses.  That means that the workers at the farm lived in the houses for as long as they worked on the farm.  (These days, that is not necessarily the case.)  The farm, which is located right across the road from Walkern Hall, was a full working farm when I was a kid, with a dairy herd and acres and acres of wheat fields which were harvested late every summer.  It was a very busy and productive farm.  I have fond memories of the countryside indeed.

I never met any of your family members with last name Aylott.  If your family member lived in Clay End, there is a strong possibility that he worked either on the farm or in the 'big house' as it was known.  If so, your ancestor would've worked on the farm as an agricultural laborer or in the Hall as a groundsman/groom/house staff.

My aunt used to live in what used to be the public house you mention.  In the days of coaches and horses, it was a public house and a place to stop for the night.  The house is now a listed building with a description of its past as a coach house with hayloft.  It was called the Kings Cross public house and my aunt used to answer the door many a time to people with historical maps looking for the place  :)  We used to dig around in the garden and find so many treasures and artifacts .... clay pipes, old coins, pottery.

People made comments about a windmill.  I have no idea where that windmill may have been located.  There are no ruins or any other suggestion as to where it might have been located and I knew Clay End very well so ..... no idea on that one.  Let me know if you'd like any more info on the place!

Offline SAM100

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 02 February 14 00:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
Many thanks for your informative reply :)
It is always nice to "add a little more flesh to the bones" so to speak.
I have yet to get to Clay End (only 23 hours flying time away) but on my next visit I will do so. :) :)

Offline CaliforniaUSA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 03 February 14 20:45 GMT (UK) »
I visited Clay End in September 2013 and it really hasn't changed much since I left  :D  Not often that one gets to visit a place that pretty much stays the same as the years roll by!