Author Topic: Margaret Ann Kelly 1902 Glasgow who was her parents?  (Read 3724 times)

Offline debbiebozkurt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Ann Kelly 1902 Glasgow who was her parents?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 04 August 14 22:32 BST (UK) »
We all hate brick walls, Debs, don't we  :'(

How kind (obsessed  :P  ;)) of you to try to help here!  You are not in Scotland are you? This period that you are in is you hard to research online as you are finding. Being in Scotland and able to visit a main genealogy centre would let you view more recent records economically.

Monica

Monica I am actually living on the Western Isles in Scotland which is really hard to do research from - very poor broadband speeds and no access to records except the local ones. What upsets me is the cost of looking up the records on-line in scotland there appears to be no subscription service which I prefer :)

Debs

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 04 August 14 22:40 BST (UK) »
Debs, have you tried death searches for Margaret Ann's mother?

There is only one death showing (just from general SP searches) for a Margaret Ann Kelly/Cameron. She was born c. 1876, died post 1922 in the Glasgow area.

Monica

Added...Althought this might be the one married to Archibald that you found earlier, I know realise.
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 04 August 14 22:43 BST (UK) »
Western Isles with a poor broadband.... :'(

Debs, it is the period you are in which is so tricky. 20th Century family records are always harder, gets easier as you know the further back you go in terms of much more available online records working back into the 19th Century (and possibly free too  :D).

Monica

Offline debbiebozkurt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 04 August 14 23:07 BST (UK) »
Debs, have you tried death searches for Margaret Ann's mother?

There is only one death showing (just from general SP searches) for a Margaret Ann Kelly/Cameron. She was born c. 1876, died post 1922 in the Glasgow area.

Monica

Added...Althought this might be the one married to Archibald that you found earlier, I know realise.

The one married to Archibald didn't die until 1952 I have her death certificate - On Margaret Ann marriage she doesn't state her mother is dead though. Got 5 more credits left and that is me for a while can not spend anymore for tonight :)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 04 August 14 23:18 BST (UK) »
Have you tried checking for an illegitimate birth? There are at least two births showing for a Margaret Ann* Cameron between 1901-3, one of these in the Lanarkshire/Glasgow area.

Maybe for another day...with renewed credits.

Monica  :)

Offline Robert

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 26 August 14 23:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Debs,

Did you get any luck with this. If not, I believe the families you mention are related to me.

I believe it is a mistake on the certificate and the parents names are Archibald Kelly and Margaret Cameron.

One of the witnesses at the marriage of James Weir and Margaret Ann Kelly was a Donaldina Macdonald of 76 Albert Street, Glasgow. I believe this could be the same Donaldina Macdonald who married a Robert Kelly the year before, when her address was 88 Albert Street, and her maiden name was used when a witness at the Weir wedding. On the marriage certificate of Robert Kelly and Donaldina Macdonald, his parents are given as Archibald Kelly and Margaret Cameron.

Hope this helps,

Robert Cameron

Offline Robert

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 27 August 14 22:15 BST (UK) »
I forgot to say in the above post that in 1921 Margaret Cameron, wife of Archibald Kelly, was also living in Claythorn Street, although at number 14.

Robert

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 27 August 14 22:24 BST (UK) »
What upsets me is the cost of looking up the records on-line in scotland there appears to be no subscription service which I prefer :)

Wouldn't we all prefer a subscription service! I have not come across anywhere that offers images of original BMD certificates on a subscription basis.

Scotland's People, used correctly, is one of the cheapest online services in the world for accessing original historic birth, marriage and death certificates.

If you get your search right, you can instantly get a historic Scottish certificate for 6 credits, which works out at £1.40. Yes, that is one pound and forty pence.

Just be thankful that you are not trying to research in
England and Wales (every certificate £9.25 and you have to wait for it to arrive in the post)
New Zealand (every handwritten or typed printout NZ$20.40)
Queensland (every image AUS$20)
New South Wales (every certificate AUS$31)
Victoria (index search AUS$0.99 and every uncertified image AUS$21)
Tasmania (every certificate AUS$45.88)
South Australia (every standard certificate AUS$46.00 plus postage)
Northern Territory (every certificate AUS$43.00 plus postage)
Western Australia (every reduced fee certificate AUS$31)

So for the price of just one English or Welsh certificate you could instantly get six Scottish certificates, and still have some change left over.

For the cost of just one South Australian certificate, you could make 103 index searches (getting up to 1545 index entries in the process) or you could view 17 wrong certificates and then get your correct image instantly.

And I have been told there are some US states where you can only get a certificate at all if you can already prove that you are related to the person concerned.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.