Author Topic: Death of Mrs E Watson 1914 - 1926  (Read 1128 times)

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
Death of Mrs E Watson 1914 - 1926
« on: Monday 01 September 14 12:08 BST (UK) »
Hi. I'm having a problem with locating birth and death records for the second wife of my maternal great-grandfather.  I have the details of their marriage.  It was a second marriage for them both.

I have all the details I could possibly hope for about the life of my great grandfather, I am extremely fortunate that my grandmother kept certificates, photos, writings, poetry,  notes, grave receipts, the works! But no record of a second marriage was in her collection.

When I was talking with a cousin a number of years ago,  she mentioned that "auld Faither"' as he was known, had remarried in Glasgow, quite soon after the death of our great grandmother. He said her mother had referred to her as Nanny Clark.

His daughters and sons came to NZ in 1924, including my Mum, his granddaughter.

So, I would like to know what happened to his second wife, as I had no idea she existed.

So the details - his name was WHITEFIELD WATSON first married Jessie McMillan Mason

They married in Cambuslang, 27 May,1884, this was a marriage according to the forms
of the the Church of Scotland.
Jessie died 17 June 1913, and not long after the birth if their last child. I have a transcription of this marriage, and also of her death record.

So I was interested to find out about this second marriage, and a contact in Edinburgh, found this second marriage for me.

Marriage WHITFIELD WATSON aged 57 (widower) married a Mrs E. Clark, aged 47 (widow) daughter of Daniel McGregor and Ellen Walker.

This was an Irregular "Marriage by Declaration in Presence of Two Witnesses"..... Signed .....etc

I have tried every search possible on Scotland's People, Ancestry, FindMyPast and familysearch, even looked for a death here in NZ, but no sign of this lady having been born, or having died. just married!

Whitefield, then aged 62, came to NZ in 1925, but no Mrs Watson on the ship with him.  So whether she died or he left her behind I just don't know!  One family member says he left her behind, another said, no she died!!  I have searched other passenger lists to NZ but still haven't been able to find her.

He wrote a lot of poetry, either with a Scottish or NZ theme, and one in particular recently caught my interest.  It makes mention of going to Ireland together "and you will be my Irish rose, and when we get to Ireland we will be married with the priest"..  No indication of who he's writing it for or about, just quite a cute loving kind of poem.

But, no the marriage was in Scotland, but maybe she was Irish -  so I've searched in Ireland as well, still no birth or death.

Anybody able please to give me any clues on something I may not have picked up on.

Sorry about the length of this, but I'm no good at brief details and rave ON A bit!!  LOL, now you know as much as I do about this woman.  I know it's not by blood line, but I do like to know more than just names and dates - And in this case, they are rather lacking!  Only a marriage date and name of Mrs E Clark!  And her parent's names which haven't really brought anything up.

Thanks for any advice
Jeanne
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Death of Mrs E Watson 1914 - 1926
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 September 14 12:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Jeanne

Did your contact provide a date for the Watson/Clark marriage - and a place?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 September 14 12:17 BST (UK) »
Mrs E. Clark, aged 47 (widow) daughter of Daniel McGregor and Ellen Walker.

Have you ruled out this birth for "E" as Elizabeth, 27 May 1866, parents Daniel McGregor & Helen Walker?

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FQZ3-JZL

Regarding her mother's name, remember that Ellen and Helen were very often used interchangeably.
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline jasiain

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 September 14 12:22 BST (UK) »
Hi AVM the marriage took place 27th March 1914 @ 102 Parsons street Glasgow

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 September 14 12:25 BST (UK) »
Hi AVM the marriage took place 27th March 1914 @ 102 Parsons street Glasgow

OK - so if she was 47 in March 1914, the May 1866 birth looks a good match age-wise (she'd have turned 48 in May 1914).

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 September 14 12:37 BST (UK) »
I think you'll find that she died in in Shettleston, Glasgow in 1943:

Elizabeth Watson, other names Mcgregor and Clark, Aged 77

Info on husbands and parents as already given. Informant was James Clark, son.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 September 14 12:56 BST (UK) »
First marriage ~
Elizabeth McGregor married Alexander Clark in 1890, Kinning Park, Glasgow

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 September 14 13:32 BST (UK) »
WOW!!  All I can say is WOW -  That was soooo fast! 

Yes, I did have the date and place of the marriage, sorry accidently left that most important detail out!   The contact that found those two marriages and other ones for me, YEARS AGO,  was a volunteer through the old RAOGK network.  Another kind person, just like you guys!

Thank you all so much for your goodness and promptness in not only answering my questions, but also the date of the death tells me he did indeed leave her behind!

I had actually seen that birth entry on family search, and had it in the back of my mind, and wondered about that, and that is actually what prompted me to look for a death to hopefully give me that Christian name.

I understand about the interchangeable names, with lots of Jeans and Jeanies and Janes and Janet's, and even my own! Jeanne, which is really Jean, but only hen I was in trouble at home or school! It can get certainly get quite confusing.

One of my grandfathers used to call my grandmother what I thought was Ginny, her name was Jane, but now I realise that was just his Scottish accent when saying Janie or Jeanie.

The Auld yin, as he was called, died here in NZ aged 78 in 1940, before I was born, so just 3 years before Elizabeth Clark/Watson.

So thanks again so much from all of you, that was huge for me.  Remembering that I live in Tomorrowland, I can now head off to bed without thoughts of this particular lady keeping me awake!!
Rest her soul!! 

Once again, thank you so much, I really appreciate your efforts!

:) :) :).  Jeanne
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections