Author Topic: John Cumming lookup Request  (Read 6806 times)

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Cumming lookup Request
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 19 June 13 11:23 BST (UK) »
Info from Military records here, Andy:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,647079.msg4947490.html#msg4947490

Reply #5 on this thread said that the Military Papers gave his birth as Denn or Dinn, Cavan but I see that spacecookie has since edited the post and added  Got mixed up with the other GG Grandfather

Cumming is of interest to me as it is one of my main family names and have had some difficulty finding documentary evidence in the OPRs suggesting some may not have been Church of Scotland. It is why I asked the question as to whether there is documentary evidence of Georges parents.

Andy

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 19 June 13 12:00 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I thought I had found him when I searched the 57th Regiment on my Discharged in NZ, on the other thread, but it was the wrong chap, with the surname John Cummins from Clonmel.  Anyway, aren't the muster books kept at Kew?   Would they be of help?

I also answered the other thread as I have a George Cumming before 1700 in my tree along with the Imlach's.  Made me curious but obviously no connection.

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 19 June 13 12:04 BST (UK) »
This is the only one I can find, KHP, but he's in Aldershot in 1871/81 married to Fanny Cummings ~

The Ayrshire George enlisted in 20 May 1843, Glasgow (78th Foot)  and was discharged 6 June 1863, Dover :

Persian Campaign 1857
Indian Campaign 1857 onwards

There are 9 possible  baptisms from Ayrshire to Inverness shire that could be him. Not sure where spacecookie got the born Marnoch from  :-\

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 19 June 13 17:13 BST (UK) »
I've just been looking through the census transcription 1841-1871 and none of them have Marnoch transcribed correctly so if spacecookie took the info from those, I'm not surprised.

Just to emphasize "never trust a transcription - get the original".
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 19 June 13 20:43 BST (UK) »
I've just been looking through the census transcription 1841-1871 and none of them have Marnoch transcribed correctly so if spacecookie took the info from those, I'm not surprised.

Just to emphasize "never trust a transcription - get the original".

Quite  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline spacecookie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 20 June 13 08:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy, thanks for replying. I have the Military Records for George Imlach Cumming from a family member that obtained them from here in New Zealand.I was going to attach them for you but they were to big.A brief outline,22/7/1843 enlisted with the 57th Reg of Foot, stating born in Banff, born 1825.   6/12/1843  to 1860 in India, Crimean, then back to India.Then Sent to NZ for the Maori Land Wars, arrived 21/1/1861. He died 1873 NZ. he was awarded several medals and ended up Major Cumming. I was given the Parents of George by  a family member also, so i assumed they had the info from a cert of some sort.I was sent some 1871 census info on a John and Jean Cumming which will be on my Rootschat-"Cumming John and or George Imlach", Banffshire history.Im only new to this so in not sure how to do a few things and what info to take as correct,as alot seem to be conflicting. thanks.

Offline spacecookie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 20 June 13 09:17 BST (UK) »
Hi, i guess if they just have the parents names on the death printout or marriage cert there isnt a way to verify exactly who and where they were, especially if there is no birth cert for George.

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 20 June 13 09:51 BST (UK) »
I was given the Parents of George by  a family member also, so i assumed they had the info from a cert of some sort.I was sent some 1871 census info on a John and Jean Cumming which will be on my Rootschat-"Cumming John and or George Imlach", Banffshire history.Im only new to this so in not sure how to do a few things and what info to take as correct,as alot seem to be conflicting. thanks.

I think you need to get documentation to support information you have. Familysearch.org does say that Georges father was John but doesn't appear to have mothers name. Don't assume that the person who gave you his mothers name has documentation as they may have made an assumption that, having found the John Cumming/Jane Jamieson, they were his parents. You could try to contact the family member to see if they have evidence, or how they came to that conclusion.

I believe that it was suggested you get NZ death documentation to see what that says. I'm not sure what is included but mothers name and/or fathers occupation would be useful.

Andy 

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 20 June 13 10:09 BST (UK) »
Yes, I suggested on the other thread that the OP obtains the Death Printout, but don't think that would be helpful now.   Think the marriage one would be more useful.

Unfortunately, the parents will not be listed on the Death Prinout.  After 1876 more info is added, such as the parents names are recorded along with occupation of father, and how long in NZ.

Deaths prior to 1876

When and where died       
Name and surname       
Sex         
Cause of death     
Description and residence of informant     
When registered   
Signature of registrar

This explains what is on the NZ Certificates.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0uqt/

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk