Author Topic: english translation please.  (Read 4475 times)

Offline bessant

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
english translation please.
« on: Sunday 19 January 14 10:55 GMT (UK) »
 this is from the news paper GWLADGARWR 14th february 1863. it was written by my grt, grt, grandfather.
                  chwefror 9, priod y parch H.oliver ,b.a pontypridd ar fab.

oes hir ac iechyd foed it' faban mad
                   pan dyfi'n ddyn, bydd ddiwyd fel dy dad
                   i gasglu addysg, gan ddyrchafu'th lef
                   o blaid athrawiaeth ddnyfol bur y nef.

moses reed   pontypridd.
 i was told that he wrote a lot of verse and had been rewarded for his achievements. sardis chapel was also where his grand father rhys powell was an assistant preacher, there don't seem to be much info available from sardis chapel . most of the graves lost when the grave yard was removed.
moses reed attended a chapel in later life in gelli rhondda. a translation of this verse would be very much appreciated.
                                                                                 thank you. bessant

Offline genechaser

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: english translation please.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 January 14 15:08 GMT (UK) »
Let it long life and health 'mad baby
when Dyfi man, your father will diligently as
to collect education, by ddyrchafu'th voice
in favor of the doctrine ddnyfol pure heaven.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 January 14 22:19 GMT (UK) »
My attempt - as an adult learner my poetical welsh isn't very strong. Looked back at the original on the welsh newspapers site for contect - one word is out; fourth word last line is ddwyfol

BIRTHS
Feb 9 - to the wife of the Rev H Oliver, B.A., Pontypridd, a son

May you, fair baby, have a long life and health
When you grow to be a man, be industrious like your father
in gaining learning, by raising your voice
in favour of the pure godly doctrine of heaven

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 January 14 22:36 GMT (UK) »
I've found a few pieces on the same site which include reference to his participation in Eisteddfodau, running Sunday schools in Gelli, loss of some  of his children and his police career, before his unfortunate accident which resulted in loss of his foot. One piece has a summary of his history.

Offline bessant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 January 14 09:42 GMT (UK) »
thanks for the responce, very pleasing and interesting. the other info you mentioned how can i get access to this....... many thanks bessant.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 January 14 20:12 GMT (UK) »
It's  on the welsh newspapers online http://welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/home  searching for "moses read"  However I think nearly all of it is in welsh

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 January 14 22:52 GMT (UK) »
There is a two part article on 1 July 1897 in tarian y Gweithwyr, which reports the accident and gives a summary of his life. See
http://welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/page/view/3118576/ART89 and http://welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/page/view/3118576/ART90/moses%20reed

Rough translation attached

THE TRIBULATIONS OF A FRIEND
A dreadful accident occurred recently in the Ystrad Rhondda area. The subject of our lines is Acting - Sergeant Moses Reed , who is about 53 years old. On Treorchy Fair Monday, he had occasion to be in Ystrad police court until the afternoon . After finishing his work there , he headed home in order to prepare for being on duty at the fair . To be clear there is a siding belonging to the Gelli mine nearby his residence , and before reaching the garden gate, there is a turn in the railroad that the steam engine runs over. On this day , as on others, the engine was working full wagons in the direction of the coal boilers. Somehow Mr. Reed's foot went under the wheels , and shattered it badly. He was in his uniform at the time, on his way to perform his duties under the command of the authorities in Treorchy. When what had happened to him became known,the news caused great distress to his relatives and his many close friends. The injured member had to be amputated the same afternoon, which added to the distress . He is recovering as well as can be expected, under the skilled care of Dr. WE Thomas , Ystrad, and his assistants .

HIS LIFE
Our old friend is  a native of Wick, near Bridgend. His father was known as Bili Reed of Wick . When I visited that place last summer , I heard that he was a quiet and respectable man. His son Moses Reed spent a large part of his early life in the town of Pontypridd . He was at that time a member of Sardis church. He was a miner at this time , and after that he worked for the Taff Railway, and Mr Williams ( Meton ) was a fellow officer for some years . Mr Williams has by now been promoted to the responsible and respectable rank of Inspector . Officer Reed now is a member of  the Welsh Congregational Church in Gelli, and he is one of the Sunday School teachers. About three years ago , his 24 years old son was killed in Gelli colliery, and about a year after this , another son died, aged 19, after months of a long hard illness. Besides this, others members of the family have been in poor health. This incident has cause another concern for this respectable family. Mr. Reed is a excellent writer , and this is no more faithful read of the Tarian. He is the father of Inspector Reed, Ferndale , and our unfortunate friend was a policeman in Resolfen for years. The intention is to make a testimonial to him, as a mark of respect for him as a good officer and kind neighbour.

The son killed in the colliery was David Reed, on 6 Nov 1894, following a roof collapse. Rhys Powell Reed died on 10 Nov 1895, aged 23, following 6 months illness, reportedly rheumatism and heart problems. He was buried in Trealaw public cemetary.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 January 14 22:54 GMT (UK) »
More detail of David Reed's accident (in English) here

http://welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/page/view/3248727/ART37

Offline bessant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 21 January 14 12:53 GMT (UK) »
thank you mabel bagshawe........most of the info i was aware of ,but the detail you have found is very useful and informative . his father "bili" reed time and place of death is unknown to me and the name "bili" i've never heard before as william reed i have seen in census reports. the welsh congregational chapel in gelli , do you know which one it is??. all together he lost four young sons.
                          if you know any more please sent a personal message ...thanking you ..bessant