Author Topic: Missing burial records ?  (Read 2157 times)

Offline greyingrey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Missing burial records ?
« on: Tuesday 19 November 13 14:30 GMT (UK) »
 8)
I know some of the records of St Mary's Nottm must have gone missing, but I was just wondering if the experienced Notts lot had noticed a particular gap in burials somewhere around 1818-25. I've got  2 people from different families living in this parish who suddenly disappear around this time. Please don't ask for details.....you've all gone to  great lengths to help me find them in the past. I can only assume they were buried elsewhere for some reason, but, as they have quite common names, I'm going to have to reconstruct a lot of family trees.

They may have been Jewish, but I think they would still have been buried at St Mary's.....but any polite suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
Re: Missing burial records ?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 November 13 16:07 GMT (UK) »
I had a look on NFHS for Burials at St Mary Nottingham. The program only gives the first  300 names. For every year you mention there are 300 plus burials .
If you would like to give me the names I can double check for you.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline greyingrey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 November 13 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much, larkspur (sigh....one can but hope, but I suppose at least they must be out there somewhere). No reflection on you, but I've had so many experienced people checking them, that it would be giving you work for nothing). They may have simply done a bunk/made bigamous marriages or popped their clogs elsewhere. ???

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 November 13 10:05 GMT (UK) »
 ;)
I have a similar problem with my great grandfather. He lived in the same village his whole life. But a total mystery as to where he was buried!
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 November 13 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Greyingrey

It's always worth posting again as new stuff is coming online all the time plus there has been a new Notts FHS CD out recently.  Also cemetery records and MI's. 

Carol
Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Yorkshire - Potts, Bell, Derbyshire, Kershaw
Worcestershire - Dyson, Summers, Dearn, Jones
Warwickshire - Russon
Leicestershire - Stodd, Sarson, Berridge, Watts, Bradshaw.
Middlesex / Surrey - Markham, Pearce, Kalaher, Barrett

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline greyingrey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 November 13 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks (yet again) Carol.....caused you enough problems already. It may be the case, I guess, that there aren't big wodges of St Mary's records missing, but that these 2 just happen to be on odd bits that are.....but it does seem an unlikely coincidence that they would have died around the same time & I can't find their births either.

They're probably under the ice stadium somewhere......get the demolition equipment out !

Perhaps your great grandfather went to visit somewhere outside his birthplace for the first time in his life, larkspur, & couldn't find his way back....

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 November 13 14:23 GMT (UK) »
  :-\ would be my luck  ::)

Offline Marathonman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 December 13 00:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

Had a similar problem with my 4 times great uncles wife, she disappeared after he died in Arnold, Notts and was buried at St Marys Church in 1875 and I really wanted to find where she was buried as he was at the Battle of Waterloo.  Hit the brick wall trying to find her on any census or on any burial record in Nottinghamshire between 1875 and 1881.  I knew one of the daughters had married someone from a village called Blackawton in Devon and moved back there with him after they were married.

Whilst we were on holiday in Hampshire I decided to take a trip to Devon to see I could find where the daughter lived and if there was a grave, the other half came along for the journey (I always know how to show a girl a good time).

With the help of my long suffering passenger in the graveyard we managed to find the graves of the daughter and her husband ....... and b*gger me next to the daughter was the lost mother who must of travelled to live with the daughter after her husband died in Arnold.  Which just goes to show that people are buried in the unlikely places sometimes and it sometimes takes a bit of luck to find where they are.
Ran the London Marathon 2011 in 3rs 27mins 28secs for Help for Heroes

Sheldon - Long Eaton-Derbyshire, Beeston, Nottingham, Kent
McRobie - Long Eaton-Derbyshire, Leicester, Monimail-Fife
Kemp - Long Eaton-Derbyshire, Melton Mowbray-Rutland
Turner - Long Eaton-Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire