Author Topic: Horatio Wigley married Nottingham 1896  (Read 545 times)

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • JACHs Jacksdale Area Culture & Heritage Group
    • View Profile
Horatio Wigley married Nottingham 1896
« on: Sunday 20 April 14 21:25 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me find the name of the spouse of Horatio Wigley. Horatio was born 1867 in Macclesfield but by 1881 was living in Radford, Nottingham. When I look on freebmd Horatio appears as married 1896 Jun Nottm 7b 649 but his spouse has been completely missed off the freebmd. I think her first name was Harriett and that she may have been a Winfield or Wingfield ?

Horatio died in 1909 at Basford and it buried at Westwood St Mary's. He is not at home on the night of the 1901 census as I suspect he was a professional soldier and that he may have been serving in the Boer War as he named his son born 1900, Redvers Buller Wigley after the Boer War Commander in Chief.  Is it possible to find Horatio's Boer War Service record ?
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
General Information relating to villages of JACKSDALE, PYE HILL & WESTWOOD Notts
Cheshire - TAYLOR, HEAPY, KNOWLES, HAMPSON, CLAYTON, STONIER, PRITCHARD, NADIN, GALLIMORE
Staffs - HEAPY
Devon - CLIFT, VITTERY, TRIST, MOLLOY, COBLEY, LEAR, GUILFOYLE, BICKFORD, EPPS, BEAZLEY, DARKE, LANG, QUANT, BLANKENSHIP
Devon & Cornwall - CLIFT, LARK
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY
Derbys/Notts- COCKAYNE, PHEASEY, KNOWLES

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Horatio Wigley married Nottingham 1896
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 April 14 23:22 BST (UK) »
Looks like you are right re. Harriet - a Harriet Winfield - same quarter, year, etc. - has been transcribed on Ancestry/FreeBMD as page no. 619.   However, if you look at the original GRO page her page no. is actually 649.   The '4' is faint and the transcribers have read it as a '1' but if you enlarge the original GRO image you can see that it is indeed a 4.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 April 14 23:43 BST (UK) »
His service record is on FindMyPast - however, whoever transcribed the record has shown his Christian name as Horeates rather than Horatio!

He enlisted in the Derbyshire Regiment 27/6/1887 at Nottingham - his regt.number 1947.   Haven't noted everything shown but he went to South Africa on 17/3/1900 and was there until 21/7/1902.   He is shown as having received the Queens South African Medal.

He was discharged 26/6/1903 by which time he had a wife (Harriet).

His physical details are: height 5'5 1/4", 124 lbs., Fresh Complexion, Grey Eyes and Dark Brown Eyes.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • JACHs Jacksdale Area Culture & Heritage Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 April 14 10:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Annette,  Thanks very much for both pieces of information. I have found him now and read his record thanks to you - very interesting

Thanks

Carol
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
General Information relating to villages of JACKSDALE, PYE HILL & WESTWOOD Notts
Cheshire - TAYLOR, HEAPY, KNOWLES, HAMPSON, CLAYTON, STONIER, PRITCHARD, NADIN, GALLIMORE
Staffs - HEAPY
Devon - CLIFT, VITTERY, TRIST, MOLLOY, COBLEY, LEAR, GUILFOYLE, BICKFORD, EPPS, BEAZLEY, DARKE, LANG, QUANT, BLANKENSHIP
Devon & Cornwall - CLIFT, LARK
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY
Derbys/Notts- COCKAYNE, PHEASEY, KNOWLES