Author Topic: blyth buildings  (Read 23347 times)

Offline TriciaK

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: blyth buildings
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 03 October 13 20:35 BST (UK) »
It's heartwarming to know that there were people like John Larsen in those days caring for people's welfare. Especially in my home town.
I wonder what nationality he was? Sounds Scandinavian.
Knott - Northumberland; Yorkshire (?Bridlington.)
Fenwick, Johnston - Northumberland.
Dixon; Hutchinson - York.
Shaw - ? Glasgow

stormtroop

« Reply #19 on: Thursday 03 October 13 20:48 BST (UK) »
It's heartwarming to know that there were people like John Larsen in those days caring for people's welfare. Especially in my home town.
I wonder what nationality he was? Sounds Scandinavian.

Hello there TriciaK, nice to meet, yes, I looked up the Rowton Principle and it was based on the hostels created by Lord Rowton a philanthropist, I  found the information on www.workhouse.org , I think that is it, it was a scheme to produce good quality housing for low paid men who would have otherwise been on the streets or in disreputable boarding houses. The hostels were in cities all over Britain, but as you say, for someone to refurbish one in Blyth along the Rowton principle shows a caring disposition, probably Scandanavian?, I would like to find out more, if you do, I do not live in Blyth , let me know, I like the man already.

;D

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 04 October 13 01:05 BST (UK) »

Trivia Angle!

In the time before Philip's excellent foto showing Ballast Hill, the area was just that... a ballast hill,
  providing stabilising ballast, eg sand, earth, etc, for unladen ships leaving Blyth.

In the 1960s, one of my tasks was to regularly visit the Highgate Hotel, Birmingham's Rowton
  House, to check occupancy levels, etc. A dismal place with tiny cubicles. Many residents had
   mental and drink problems. Benefits were paid in the form of bed and canteen vouchers rather
   than cash.

Michael
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
-------------------------------------------------------------------
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 04 October 13 07:29 BST (UK) »
Fascinating stuff about Rowton.

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Rowton/

The Rowton House at Newcastle on Dog Bank can be seen in the old photo on this page, a huge structure! I wonder if it the one that Larsen got his inspiration from?

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1046553&page=47

P
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

stormtroop

« Reply #22 on: Friday 04 October 13 17:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Reiver, yes I saw that one on Dog Bank on that site, it is a very good site for hunting down old buildings.   I saw the Rowton article on Wiki as well.

Michael,  I was told about the Rowton Homes becoming places for men who had drink and health problems, I think they eventually deteriorated into that. In the beginning  I am sure though that the original philanthropic intentions were sound .

stormtroop

« Reply #23 on: Friday 04 October 13 17:34 BST (UK) »
It is amazing how big some of these homes were, some are still standing and have been converted to private domestic use. They are good sound Victorian architecture and are  monuments to an age of concern by some in society amoung the better off for those on the lower levels of society, something you do not get today!.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 04 October 13 23:26 BST (UK) »
So Stormie........ how far down the Larsen line have you managed to get? I'm intrigued to know more about this man and his own predecessors. I hope you manage to trace all the way back to the 1841 or at least the census that gives his 'incoming' grandparent.

Please keep us informed. It is all part of Blyth's rich history.

P
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.

stormtroop

« Reply #25 on: Friday 04 October 13 23:52 BST (UK) »
I was tracing one of my own ancestors who was lodging in Larsens Jubilee  home, mind I am going to go for a subscription on a pay for site so it might be worth hunting down this Larsen fellow and see what he is about. The Rowton fellow sounded magnificent.

I have just been looking for dead ancestors at the moment. death certs to be applied for , three premature deaths , so looks interesting, I am always more interested in deaths than marriages and births.

Best wishes, off for tea, rest, and late night news.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 05 October 13 23:41 BST (UK) »
I'm still looking through my picture collection and this very old and poor photo shows Wright's Timber Yard with a view looking over to Ballast Hill. The building upper middle is the Norwegian Chapel and the taller building on it's right is, you've guessed it, the Diamond Jubilee Home aka Larsen's Lodging House. I have absolutely no idea of the date!

It just gives that slightly different aspect to the property and it's relationship to surrounding buildings from ground level.

I'm thrilled to be able to discover what and where the locations of these old pictures actually are in Blyth. There are no dates or descriptions with any of them and I am very slowly being able to add that information. Thanks for making that possible. Without your original question I would not have been able to fill in the blanks for this particular shot.

Enjoy. :)

P