Author Topic: blyth buildings  (Read 23350 times)

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: blyth buildings
« Reply #54 on: Friday 20 June 14 11:03 BST (UK) »
This image is Edith and William with their pit pony show. I am not sure whether it was in the first Hippodrome on Union Street or the second one in Rink Street. I think probably the first.

I think I ought probably to leave this subject alone now since it is diverting the original subject of this thread.

I think it is such a shame that current younger generations of folk in Blyth do not know what a special town it has been and still could be but for a little ingenuity and foresight. Blyth was a forward thinking and innovative town, embracing new technologies at the first opportunity. I know it has hard times, but it could be turned around.

P
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline TriciaK

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Friday 20 June 14 11:19 BST (UK) »
There was another theatre in Blyth with a connection to Stan Laurel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjfyuN1PN3Y
My Mum and Dad met there while taking part in an amateur show, he played the piano, she was in the chorus.
Knott - Northumberland; Yorkshire (?Bridlington.)
Fenwick, Johnston - Northumberland.
Dixon; Hutchinson - York.
Shaw - ? Glasgow

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Friday 20 June 14 11:29 BST (UK) »
Yes TK, I was thrilled when I first learned about this a few years ago. Blyth should be cashing in on that fact, and there should be a statue of Stan in the market square which is just yards away from where the theatre stood. I think there is a sculpture of him in Ridley Park. Blyth should be having Laurel and Hardy events with look a like competitions and awards. It could be fun and draw in crowds. If you get people in the heart of the town, hopefully they will spend money.

P
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline dolly dimples

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Friday 20 June 14 20:38 BST (UK) »
  Your like a magician PH, you keep pulling them out the hat!
    Great picture that, and real ponies too !
  I agree that Blyth should be keeping our history going..... but one lives in hope!
    My one regret is that i had no interest in history until I started my family history, and now I cant get enough, ah well !  many thanks for all your time spent here.  Dolly

Northumberland. Main.Hertfordshire.Brash.Dryden
East Lothian.Brash. Dryden. Cumberland.Henderson.Joyce.
Plymouth.Charlick. Canada.Boulds.

Offline wombat87

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 20 August 14 13:36 BST (UK) »
Phodgetts would you be able to email me? As my great great Grandfather was William Tudor and I would love to know about him. As my grandad does not know much either and if you are able to help that would be great.

Offline (David) Jim Smith

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Friday 10 November 23 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Re William Tudor and his circus - I am researching Tudor's Circus in Cambridge and would very much like to get hold of your photos of the Blyth circus building and of William and Edith and the ponies.

I understand I have to make three posts before I can use private messaging, so this is my third! I have found that William Tudor had temporary circus buildings here in Cambridge in 1888 (with Charlie Keith), 1893 and 1895. In 1896 he built a permanent circus building and ran it until 1891. I'm happy to share any material if you are interested.