Author Topic: Mabel Carnell - WW1 War Bride  (Read 2696 times)

Offline slewi4

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mabel Carnell - WW1 War Bride
« on: Tuesday 11 April 06 08:40 BST (UK) »
Is anyone out there looking for Mabel CARNELL, born circa 1900, who married an Australian Soldier William HAWLEY at Hyson Green 20 Sep 1919? They returned to Australia in about 1921. I have found William on the Electoral roll at Nambour in Qld in 1922, then they seem to disapear. There were no children born to them in Qld - I don't know if they had any at all. William's mother's obituary (May 1934) states that he "died in Brazil as a result of war infirmaties". I have not been able to confirm the Brazil part, but according to his service record (available at www.naa.gov.au), his 'war infirmaties' consisted of deafness in one ear and a really bad case of tinnatus in the other.
There used to be a link to a digital copy of William's service record, but it has now been removed. It contained a transcript of the marriage certificate which stated that her father was deceased, and if I recall correctly, his name was John.
Mabel does not appear to have stayed in/returned to Qld. Perhaps she went back to Nottingham.
Coincidently, the HAWLEYs were originally from Nottinghamshire.
I hope this is useful to someone out there.
Sandra
England: Brown Kingscliffe NTH, Ellis Balsall WAR, Lewis Hereford HEF, Oliver Morpeth NBL, Wall Coventry/Balsall WAR, Watkins Eardisley/Clifford HEF
Ireland: Culhane Limerick; Doolan Clare
Wales: Lewis BRE/DEN, Jones Eglwysbach DEN

Offline knight65

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mabel Carnell - WW1 War Bride
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 December 13 20:59 GMT (UK) »
This is an old post but if its still active, I can fill some gaps re Sarah Carnell.

Mark