Author Topic: Manorhamilton Estate - Dennison  (Read 11959 times)

Offline Stev1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Manorhamilton Estate - Dennison
« on: Wednesday 26 July 06 08:10 BST (UK) »
William Dennison (Denison) worked as a Head Groom at an estate at or near Manorhamilton in the 1860s. Can anyone help with identification of this estate.

The address" Lockris, Cloonclare, Co Leitrm" keeps cropping up in this story but I have been unable to establish who lived there.

Can anyone help please.

Offline kintree

• RootsChat Senior
  • Thicker than water
    • View Profile
Re: Manorhamilton Estate - Dennison
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 July 06 14:35 BST (UK) »
The Clements family seem to have owned most of the land in Co Leitrim - the Lords Leitrim are from that family.

Robert Denison is shown as occupier of a couple of plots in the Griffith Valuation, both held from a Clements.  So you may get joy in any estate papers of the Clements family.

The townland of Loughros is in the (enormous) parish of Cloonclare. But it doesn't look like the centre of an estate - it seems to be the side of a mountain.

See www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?lat=54.3134&lon=-7.9613&scale=50000&icon=x
STEVENSON County Derry;  KINSMAN;  BATTERSBY Dublin

Offline Stev1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 July 06 00:19 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the information.

I had thought that Lockris might be really Loughros but I rejected the idea for the reason you state. I believe Cloonclare is also the name of a townland in the parish of Cloonclare so I thought that Lockris was the name of the house in the townland of Cloonclare?

Stev1

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 July 06 22:48 BST (UK) »
Hi,
here's a site which might help - http://www.askaboutireland.ie/show_narrative_page_by_place.do?page_id=1436

The Clements lived at Lough Rynn House.
good luck
heywood

this looks good too - http://www.loughrynn.net/
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kintree

• RootsChat Senior
  • Thicker than water
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 July 06 09:59 BST (UK) »
Heywood

Thanks for that - I particularly like "Not surprisingly he was assassinated...", as if this were everyday behaviour!

The Clements family lived in various places; but Stev1 is looking for where his Denisons lived. I suppose it is possible that as Head Groom William Denison might have had no fixed abode, and might have been required to follow the entourage from estate to estate ?  Anyone got ideas on that ?

Adrian

Offline Stev1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 July 06 12:10 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for all the input.

Lough Rynn would appear to be too far from Manorhamilton for my comfort. There are a number of other Denisons in Griffiths who have leased land from Owen Wynne. He had a 1000 acre estate at Lurganboy just outside Manorhamilton towards Sligo. Also William the Head Groom ended up owning a pub on the quayside at Sligo. Owen Wynne owned large chunks of Sligo Town. Any thoughts on this scenario?

Offline kintree

• RootsChat Senior
  • Thicker than water
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 July 06 13:26 BST (UK) »
Stev1

Although Lurganboy is certainly nearer Manorhamilton, it seems to be in the Civil Parish of Killasnet - this goes against your documentary evidence which suggests Cloonclare parish (or even Cloonclare townland).

[Later modification]: Lewis Topograhical Dictionary tells us that much of Killasnet was in the (Church of Ireland vicarage) Union of Cloonclare.

What is the nature of your documentary evidence ?  You have called it a story - was it a story meant to be taken literally ?

Adrian

Offline kintree

• RootsChat Senior
  • Thicker than water
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 29 July 06 13:53 BST (UK) »
Stev1

An 1831 muster shows John & Thomas Denison in a company led by Captain Andrew Johnston. Does this connect with anything ?

And William Dennison Snr & William Dennison Jnr are in a company led by Captain John James Cullen.

http://www.rootsweb.com/~irllet/RayWhittinger/1831_Mar_Leitrim_Militia_Muster.htm

Adrian

Offline Stev1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 29 July 06 15:37 BST (UK) »
Adrian

Thanks again for your interest.

William was not in the army - as to his father - I don't know his name or occupation.

As in these situations there are facts and there are facts. William was born 1839 or 1840 fact. He worked on a big estate at Manorhamilton and later owned a pub in Sligo Town fact. He had 5 children 4 of whom were born at Lockris, Cloonclare, Co Leitrim and one (a middle child) was born in Co Fermanagh - all were born away from home while the family was resident in Sligo - nearly fact. The 4 were definitely born in Co leitrim and in my father's documented history he states that they were born at this address. He may have got the name or spelling wrong. My father states that he was an orphan while my Uncle states that he was the youngest of 3 boys by some 14 years and both his parents had died while he was young (how young?). He fell out with his brothers over the will and the brothers bought him off by first getting him a job in the big estate and then buying him a pub. Hearsay but the circumstantial evidence would point in this direction although it raises issues about how the brothers had the influence etc. But it does answer how an orphan would be able to afford a pub.

Clearly Lockris is central to unlocking this story. If he had fallen out with his brothers and he was either de facto or actually an orphan then who was living at Lockris that his wife visited to have her children? We know that her parents lived in Co Fermanagh, nearly fact. She was born and raised in Co Fermanagh. It is just possible that they moved to Manorhamilton but unlikely for they would have had to return to Co Fermanagh for the birth of the middle child and then come back to Co Leitrim for the birth of the remaining children. I know that the "centre of gravity" of William and his family was Manorhamilton even when they lived in Sligo. As a young boy Manorhamilton was talked about a lot.

Its like a detective novel!

Stev1