Author Topic: Plas Du Talysarn Pen y Groes  (Read 6804 times)

Offline litherland lass

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Plas Du Talysarn Pen y Groes
« on: Friday 07 January 11 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Tracing my Grandfather Evan Roberts from Bron y Foel Terrace Llandwrog born 1886. He was a Stonemason and his father Robert Roberts was a Quarry Labourer. I have photos of my late mother when she was about 12 and her brother and my nan and another lady in the front garden of Plas du in 1933 a few months after my grandfather's death aged 44 in Liverpool. I have been to the property and met with the current owners and they let us look round. I am trying to find the connection to the place and the woman in the photo, on checks made we know there was a couple named Richard Hugh Jones his Ellen and their daughter Mary Elizabeth Jones.  Is Plas du near Bron y Foel Terrace  and Cesarea Terrace Llandwrog? as these were addresses where my grandfather lived. I am intruiged to find out if it was just a holiday cottage or belonged in the family because it is way off the beaten track so how did my nan get there from Liverpool or even know about the place unless it belonged to someone in her family.
Any info will be greatly appreciated as I am trying to build up a picture of my grandfather's past. There's no one left in the family to ask. I am looking to get a scanner so will post photos.

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Plas Du Talysarn Pen y Groes
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 January 11 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Is it anywhere near Llandudno Junction?

You ask similar  questions to those going through my mind.   My great grandfather was born at Glan Conway around about 1846.   Then in 1911 his son was living in Seaforth Road, getting married to someone from Beechwood Road.           

Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline litherland lass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 January 11 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi ScouseBoy
No, it's not.
I have actually been to the property. the cottage / house is in Talysarn and is called Plas Du.
thanks anyway from another scouser exiled now in southport

Offline jajones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 January 11 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi, have you any further information about Evan's father, Robert Roberts you mentioned. I have a Robert Roberts born in 1859 in Llanllyfni & another in Maenllwyd Llanllyfni in 1824.
Alwyn

Offline litherland lass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 January 11 09:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jajones,
going by the census for 1891 and 1901 Robert Roberts was born in Llanengan near Abersoch around 1849.
He married a Gwen Williams from Rhyd-Ddu,Beddgelert. Yet to work out / obtain marriage lines, but not far off doing that.
Pauline

Offline litherland lass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 January 11 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Does anybody know how I can obtain or get contact details of the slate /quarry mines around the Lllandwrog area. On checking through my records of my great grand father and grand father and his brothers (Robert Roberts great grand father, Evan my grand father, and his brothers Ellias, Benjamin) they are all recorded on the census forms for 1891 and 1901 as working in the slate quarry mines . they lived at Ceasarea Terrace Llandwrog

Offline Rol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 08 January 11 17:05 GMT (UK) »

Hello Pauline,

Does anybody know how I can obtain or get contact details of the slate /quarry mines around the Llandwrog area ...

You could try following up some of the refs. in Jeremy Wilkinson’s Gazetteer and Bibliography of the Mines and Quarries of North Wales,  to be found at this url.  The best initial way in would probably be to use the Search by Mines and Quarries option,  then enter Caernarfonshire and Llandwrog to pull up the various company names.  But I fear that the hunt for your men in such records would prove very laborious;  even if you can identify the company that employed them,  the survival rate for wage-books is likely to be very patchy.

Plas Du is an interesting choice of name.  I wonder if it hints at some sentimental (or substantive) family connection with the well-known old house on the borders of Llanarmon and Llangybi.  Probably not -- but intriguing all the same . . .

Rol

(Crown and other relevant copyrights acknowledged, including - but without limitation to - census information from wwwnationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline litherland lass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 08 January 11 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Rol for the info.
I've been to Plas Du and the couple who live there now had the deeds to the property. Unfortunately no mention of Roberts on them. the only thing I could take from the deeds and the electorial register covering the period 1925 to 1950 was of the same family name of Jones.
Assuming Richard Hugh Jones and Ellen Jones where either brother and sister or husband and wife. Mary Elizabeth Jones appears of the electorial register 1930 could be a daughter of theirs. I think it is this lady that is in the photo's with my mum and nan.The search goes on.
Pauline

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 15 January 11 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi
For those who are taking an interest and don't know the area, Plas Du is behind the housing estate on the right hand side of the B4418 from Penygroes to Rhyd Ddu, less than half a mile from Talysarn - postcode LL54 6AY. So it's on the floor of the Nantlle valley, on the southern side.
Bronyfoel/Ceserea Terrace face each other, about 4 fields to the East of the village of Y Fron; postcode LL54 7BP. So they are on the hillside above the valley, on the North side at an altitude c.900 ft, c. 600 ft above the valley floor. This group of houses are now known as Tai Bronyfoel, with the houses on the left side being known as Tai Ceserea; (Tai = Houses). They are only about 2 miles apart in a straight line, but about 5+ miles along the road.
Emyr