Author Topic: llanrhos  (Read 8238 times)

Offline familyline

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: llanrhos
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 28 June 14 10:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Jo and Ellenmai,
Thankyou both for helping me it doesn't help living at the other end of the world, the last time I got home I only managed to get to the shops at Llandudno. Ellenmai you have the right family with Hugh and jane Roberts living at graig lwyd also brother  John and Elizabeth john is a stonemason on census and on the parish records. Griffith Roberts is not my line.Hugh to what I can gather was a ag lab but also a mariner? His wife Jane Roberts her father Anthony Roberts was a mariner so perhaps.I have various places for Hughs childrens birth being Pen y Cae llanrhos Towyn llanrhos and pydcio Llandudno perhaps some of these names might ring a bell these names are from the parish records. As for Tynewydd Hughs father William lived there and Williams father Thomas also Thomass son john was a publican according to the 1851 census in tynewydd on the 1911 census Thomas is living at 2 tywyn llanrhos. Hope this might help you know where I am.
Regards
thankyou for your help
Lynne

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 28 June 14 14:02 BST (UK) »
Jo is right about some of the burials probably being at St Hilary's Church, Llanrhos and at that time they would have been in the Old Churchyard.
William Roberts Ty Newydd was buried 9/9/1822 at Llanrhos.
John Roberts Graig Llwyd (Sailor) was buried in Conway 29/12/1806 probably at St Mary's Parish Church as that fits with the time span for burials there. I found a short article about the drowning, it happened on Christmas Day 1806. The Ferry was the only means of crossing the River Conway and it was transporting the Irish Mail Coach over when it capsized. Thirteen people were on board and only two survived. 6 of them were buried in Conway including John.
I shall go and study your last lot of information to see if I can glean anything to help to search further. The weather here today is awful so have a few hours spare.

Ellen

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 28 June 14 15:54 BST (UK) »
Hello Lynne,

You may find it worthwhile to post on a site local to Llandudno, Conwy and surrounding areas. This is The Three Towns Forum.

http://threetownsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php

Some of the names you mention seem familiar and I wonder if I have seen posts/requests about them on this site. There have been a number of posts about mariners in Llandudno. There is a lot of interest in these.

Nest time you visit Llandudno, you won't have time for the shops!!

Jo.

Offline paintedlady

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 28 June 14 18:59 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

A lot of my ancestors were born and lived in Llanrhos in the 1700-1923 period and although some of them graduated to Old Colwyn,Colwyn etc, quite a few are buried in St. Hilary's churchyard.  There are also some who are buried in Llandrillo yn rhos even though they lived in Llanrhos, with the ones who moved to Old Colwyn buried in Llanelian and the others in Colwyn buried in Bron y Nant.  Makes it rather hard to find as they are spread along the coast!

Offline paintedlady

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 28 June 14 21:33 BST (UK) »
I just had a thought whilst re-reading the postings on this topic of Llanrhos!

My great,great great grandparents, as are my great, great grandparents, are buried in the grounds of St. Hilary's churchyard.  I have the plot numbers for their graves and have visited to take photos and lay some flowers on the occasions i get over to Wales.  However, in the plot where my great,great,great grandparents grave should be situated it would appear that when the church was extended in 1865, and my ancestors were buried in 1836 and 1840 respectfully, i am wondering if the extension was built over their graves, as where their graves should be is where the extension lies and their headstone is not in situ but lying near the church itself and not above the grave.  Is it possible i could find out where their remains now lie, if indeed they are underneath this extension or even if they were buried in another part of the church grounds?  I find it upsetting to think their remains may be underneath such an addition to the church!  Anyone know how i can find this information out please?  Thank you.

Offline familyline

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 29 June 14 12:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Jo and Ellenmai,
Firstly Jo always got time to go to the shops, when I was there I was wondering if my relatives were working there if only you could meet them. Ellenmai our weather is bitterly cold only 6 degrees all day fire on full. thankyou ladies for helping me. Thomas was the sailor or mariner that drowned in the river Conway parish records quote a old mariner drowned in the river Conway aged 81 on the 29 dec 1806.Ellenmai if you have time perhaps you could find out where john Roberts was a publican in tynewydd its on census 1851, was it a pub,hotel ? Don't know anythink about tynewydd would it still be there today. Very interesting about Thomass death shame being a mariner and cant swim.so it looks like I am looking at st hillarys and st marys when I get home again. To the person who asked about peoples burial places all I can say is years ago I live in Redditch Worcs and they built the shopping centre over old graves I am led to believe the grounds have to be over 100 years old and then the graves arnt disturbed the shopping centre was built on stilts over the top of the graves. I cannot help any further.
Thankyou ladies
Regards
Lynne

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 29 June 14 15:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynne,

I'm getting a bit confused about which John Roberts you are looking for  ??? The one you mentioned earlier on was 66 when he died in 1883 is it this one? The John Roberts you just mentioned on the 1851 Census, who is a publican was born 1775 in Llandudno.
Paintedlady your best bet to try and find out about St Hilary's is either telephone the Conwy Archive at Llandudno on 01492577550 they are open Monday to Thursday or you could e-mail them archifau.archive@conwy.gov.uk they are very helpful.

Ellen

Offline familyline

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 30 June 14 06:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Ellen,
Sorry you are right the John of Graig Lwyd did die in 1883. This is another John he is the son of Thomas the mariner who drowned in the Conway river, this john was born 1771 in Llandudno and according to the 1851 census was a publican in Tynewydd, just wondered if you knew the name of the pub and if its still there today. Sorry didn't mean to confuse you.
Regards
Lynne

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 30 June 14 10:27 BST (UK) »
Hello lynne,

There is an excellent site which covers North Wales Mariners:

http://www.welshmariners.org.uk/

I did a search on Thomas Roberts and there were quite a few hits:

http://www.welshmariners.org.uk/search.php

This might provide more information on your ancestors.

Jo.