Author Topic: **COMPLETED** Kirkintilloch/Lenzie 1911 census look-up  (Read 6479 times)

Offline rosneath

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
**COMPLETED** Kirkintilloch/Lenzie 1911 census look-up
« on: Friday 18 January 13 18:55 GMT (UK) »
If anyone has easy access to the 1911 census, I wonder if they could help me.  I'm looking to find out who was living at Rosneath, Kirkintilloch Road, Lenzie in 1911 and also next door at Ravelston, Kirkintilloch Road.

I've searched on Scotland's People and there is an entry but before I pay to view, I just wondered if anyone could help.

I currently live at this address and believe the house was built in 1905 so this is just academic interest for me.

Thanks
Isabel
Armstrong and Cotter (Co. Cork),  Cooper and Davidson (Aberdeenshire), Cosgrove (Co. Down/Co. Longford),
Cotter (London/Cornwall), Ker (Edinburgh/Roxburgh), Martyn (Cornwall), Orpen/Palmer (Co. Kerry), Pryn (Cornwall), Garnett/Radcliff (Co. Meath),
Wilkie (Roxburgh)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Kirkintilloch/Lenzie 1911 census look-up
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 January 13 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Isabel

As you are likely aware, Scotlands People is the only source of the 1911 Scottish Census and it is pay to view. You may be lucky and someone is connected to that particular address....however, maybe not. SP don't let you search by address only, so that actually won't get you anywhere as a search  :-\

From what you say, you are living there. Where is your nearest local history library? I would check with them to see whether they have the local voters rolls/electoral rolls books to see whether you can check the address for the years you are interested in.

Monica  :)

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 January 13 22:48 GMT (UK) »
You can search the 1915 Valuation by place name. George Henry McClunan was the owner and lived at Rosneath. The adjacent house is listed as unnamed owned by James Cameron. This is the house next to the "Craigs."  George was living in Cadder in 1901 and in Aberdeen in 1911 but this doesn't preclude him from owning the property or  that Rosneath hadn't been built, perhaps it was owned by someone else.

As Monica indicated you might find the earlier valuations at the Library.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline rosneath

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 January 13 14:05 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both Monica and Don.

I had just put in Rosneath, Kirkintilloch Road to the SP advanced search free text box and it came up with 1 result which I thought would be likely.

GH McClunan might have been the builder and it was speculative so he rented it out.  However, we match the next door house in layout but the stained glass is different, suggesting the prospective owner had some say in the fitting out.

I didn't know about Valuations so will ask at the Kirkintilloch Library.

Thanks again
Isabel
Armstrong and Cotter (Co. Cork),  Cooper and Davidson (Aberdeenshire), Cosgrove (Co. Down/Co. Longford),
Cotter (London/Cornwall), Ker (Edinburgh/Roxburgh), Martyn (Cornwall), Orpen/Palmer (Co. Kerry), Pryn (Cornwall), Garnett/Radcliff (Co. Meath),
Wilkie (Roxburgh)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 January 13 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Just as a by and by, GH McClunan still showed at Ros-neath in 1920 and also 1921 (Telephone Directories). Occupation a traveller, from what is shown.

Is the Kirkintilloch Library named the William Patrick Library? If so, they do have the local valuation rolls going by the East Dunbartonshire Council site. An explanation of what they consist of here www.eastdunbarton.gov.uk/pdf/HCS%20Leisure%20Culture/HCS-LCS-A-Source%20Sheet%20Valuation%20Rolls%20May%202008.pdf

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosneath

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 January 13 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Monica, thank you.  Yes my local library is the William Patrick ... I can see a trip there coming up!

I found George Henry McClunan on the Scottish 1901 census and then in the England 1881 and 1891.  I noted that he was living in the parish of Cadder in 1901 at Hazelwood, Grove Park and that his very young children were born in Lenzie. I found a historical map of Cadder parish and learnt that it covered that area of Lenzie so he certainly lived in the area from 1898.

If he was in Aberdeen in the Scotland 1911, maybe his wife Mary was in Lenzie with the children.

Thanks
Isabel
Wilkie (Roxburgh)

Offline rosneath

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 19 January 13 17:49 GMT (UK) »
No, found Mary with her parents in Blackpool.  No children so they might have been at home in Lenzie with a nurse or governess.

Also found GH at Rosneath in the July 1911 phone book.  For the previous 4 phone listings he had been at Beaconsfield in different roads so it was obviously a house name they took with them.  The final listing of it was January 1911 in Kirkintilloch Road.  Whether they actually moved between January and July 1911 or whether Beaconsfield became Rosneath, I have yet to ascertain!

Thanks to all that have pointed me in the right directions.

Isabel
Wilkie (Roxburgh)

Offline yokerbrian

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 January 13 00:05 GMT (UK) »
You can also check the Sasines (Property Records), - see info in the Scottish resources section at the top of the forum.

These are held by the Registers of Scotland (Land Registry) www.ros.gov.uk

Or you can pop in to Hanover House, Douglas Street, Glasgow to the Customer Service Centre - you will be able to get details of ownership over the years
KELLY (Glasgow), DUNLOP (Ireland, Glasgow), PATERSON (Coatbridge), PATTERSON (Midlothian, Berwickshire), YOUNG (Eastwood), MUIR (Kilmarnock) CAMERON (Stirlingshire, Glasgow, Angus)

Offline Smartie16

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 29 September 13 11:35 BST (UK) »
Dear Isabel

I came across all these posts purely by accident and was in fact through in Kirkintilloch yesterday (I live in Edinburgh) visiting a friend in the area who took me to see a house he believed was called 'Rosneath' as it's been so long since I last saw it (from the outside) that I couldn't remember where it was.

The house called Rosneath was in fact built for the McClunan family.  My father, Ronald McClunan and his sister, Jeannette, grew up there.

George Henry McClunan was my great grandfather.

Lesley