Author Topic: help with linking me to a 1000 year old Cardigan lineage!!!  (Read 21431 times)

Offline meaty

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: help with linking me to a 1000 year old Cardigan lineage!!!
« Reply #9 on: Monday 05 November 12 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Yes there is that possibility, thanks for reminding me.

Offline meaty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 12 September 13 21:15 BST (UK) »
Right well I have located Thomas Jones, Trewyddel, Gwenlli, Llandissiliogogo parish marriage certificate to Sarah James at Llangynllo Church 29/10/1839. Thomas gives his address as Llynddu, and Sarah's is Penyrallt. Do I presume these properties are also in Llangynllo Parish? I believe there is a Llynddu Farm in Plwmp, near Llandissiliogogo. I do not know of a Penyrallt.

Thomas' father is a Jno Jones (which I believe is an abbreviation of Jonathan?), a Labourer. Sarah's father is James James, also a Labourer.

So now I need to establish if one of these two was the cousin of Dafydd Siencyn Morgan, but also bearing in mind that it could be the wife of either of them. So, I need to locate a record of their marriage(s), which are pre-1837. How do I do this? at the record office or is there a way online?

Thanks

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 12 September 13 22:04 BST (UK) »
Jno or Ino are both common abbreviations of John.

Offline meaty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 13 September 13 13:20 BST (UK) »
Ah brilliant! Thank you for confirming.

As stated, there is a Llynddu farm in Plwmp (not far from Llandissiliogogo) and also there is a Penrallt in Nanternis, also near Llandissiliogogo. Seeing as they made their home in Llandissiliogog in 1841 census, I think its quite possible that these could be their residences at the time of their marriage.

Just need their Births next!

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 13 September 13 13:30 BST (UK) »
Thinking that the name David Jenkin Morgan might imply David son of Jenkin Morgan,I looked for a will of Jenkin Morgan of Llan(n)granog(where the father was sexton).
Sure enough there is an 1812 date proved will(though written in 1801),wherein Jenkin Morgan nominates his children Dasvid,Jacob,Jane,Mary and James.His wife,Johannah,did not apparently survive to see the proving of the will.
Furrther,there is a burial record in Llangran(n)og of a Jacob Morgan born 1758,making him contemporary with David(born circa 1752),reinforcing the likelihood that this is the family in question.
However,I do have a little difficulty imagining  cousins in the current conventional sense being born 60 years apart.
Are there any other clues in the obit you mentioned-other family members?

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 13 September 13 14:50 BST (UK) »
There is a baptismal record for Sarah James in Llangynllo in 1815,parents James James and Elizabeth.A likely marriage is James James to Elizabeth Jones,Llandyfriog,1813:-

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KCL9-DXY

Regards
Roger

Offline meaty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 14 September 13 13:54 BST (UK) »
Hi and thanks for your replies.

You are spot on there, that is indeed the will of Jenkin Morgan, the father of David Siencyn/Jenkin Morgan 1752-1844. I also have Jo(h)anas Will. Johana married Jenkin on 21st June 1797. She was his second wife as his first wife (Davids Mother) died when young. None of the articles pertaining to David in the National Library are able to shed light on Davids mothers name, so that is also a mystery.

Interestingly, Johanna was the mother of Christmas Evans 1766-1838 the one eyed minister from Llandysul. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_Evans
So that is another well known name in this family tree.
I have been through the graveyard in Llangrannog but have been unable to find the grave of Jenkin (died 1812) or Joana (unsure as to exact date of death – cant make out the date on the will). Seeing as Jenkin was the sexton of the church I would assume he is buried there. The church has been rebuilt so the former church was probably smaller and so Jenkin and Joanna may lie under the foundations, or just simply not have a headstone.

Hi yes 60 years would appear to be quite something, I agree. Going back to my family tree – all I have is the funeral report of James Jones the son of Thomas Jones, Trewyddel, Gwenlli, Llandissiliogogo, (my GGG Grandfather) which states “His father Mr Thomas Jones Trewyddel was a cousin of Dafydd Siencyn Morgan to whom a memorial was unveiled at Llangoedmor two years ago”. It is the truth or inaccuracy of this sentence that everything rests upon. Ideally I’d like to locate the Obituary of Thomas Jones, died 1903.  According to The National Probate Calendar his will states his address as Cefncoed, Llandissiliogogo – does anyone know how I order this will? The National Library said they didn’t hold it when I found the record for it, and told me to write to somewhere in Leeds, if I remember correctly.

Cracking work finding the baptism and marriage! Thanks so much! How do I go about ordering these records? Do I just locate them at the archives or National Library?

Thanks very much

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 14 September 13 15:45 BST (UK) »
I haven't ordered a will myself,but the advice,address and form(PA1S) are here(I hope):-

http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/probate/copies-of-grants-wills

The records you are interested in are generally pre registration(1837) and while some may be on Family Search,detailed copies of parish registers(other than non-conformist) are generally on FindMyPast for which you will need to buy credits or take out a subscription.

A number of relevant addresses may be close to each other as follows(though inevitably there are many similar addresses,making it difficult to be sure)

The address in the probate,Cefn Coed is the same as the address in the 1901 census.There is such an address in Coed y Bryn,Llandysul.This is close to a property called Nant y Pobty(or Bobty),which is where Sarah James parents lived.Further,although it does not appear on current maps,there is also a Pen yr Allt close by.
Go to www.old-maps.co.uk and use the search term- Blaenllan-it is not relevant but convenient.
Choose the Llandysul option and when the map loads.use the up arrow to find two of the above in Coed Y Bryn.
Return to Blaenllan and then click on the map between there and Rhippin du(upper left).Then choose the earliest 1:2500 map from the historical list on the right.This should give Pen yr Allt.
There is a property transcribed as Llynddy in the early censuses in this area but I haven't located it on the map.
Whether it helps or is purely of academic interest,there is a reference in Y Cymmrodor(at www.archive.org) to a nephew of David Jenkin Morgan,called James Davies,the report being given by a Benjamin Williams who was the author of "Enwogion Ceredigion".

Regards
Roger

Offline meaty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 14 September 13 23:24 BST (UK) »
Ah brilliant, so that is the place in Leeds. I will make an application on Monday, at £6 it is pretty cheap. Thank you.

I had not visited findmypast before and it appears they do a 14 day trial so I will sign up to see what I can find. Thank you for this suggestion.

I thought that the Cefncoed address given is the property directly behind his home, Trewyddel, but what you have suggested is very persuasive and using the maps as you say it is easy to see all those properties are within close distance of each other. Thank you for the detailed description it is very much appreciated. I also have an 1841  Census return for Cefn coed/Afon coed? and it has a John and Sara Jones aged 55, in residence. I wonder if these may be Thomas Jones parents, and if so, he then returned to their property to live with a sibling, before his death.

Nice find in Y Cymmrodor too, I am aquainted with Enwogion Ceredigion as Dafydd Siencyn Morgan has a piece included, but I cannot find this piece regarding James Davies -  when I search it yields 0 results? Could I trouble you for the volume number please?

Thanks very much.