Author Topic: Rawlings of Boston and de Carteret's of Jersey  (Read 1997 times)

Offline genealogistsykes

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Rawlings of Boston and de Carteret's of Jersey
« on: Saturday 16 November 13 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, I've found out that my ancestors are related to the de Carteret's of Jersey, Channel Islands. However, I'm having trouble pinning down a birth for an ancestor. The information found below is all I know:

John Rawlings (Jean Rawlins) was born in 1636. In June 1660, at the age of 24, he is a cloth worker and merchant of Southampton (I assume in England - However, It could be in the USA) and is admitted a Free Commoner as a clothworker having been apprentice to his father on the 16th of June 1648. He becomes a deacon of a French Church and marries Anne Delamotte, daughter of Joseph Delamotte, on the 21st of September 1669 in St. John's Church (I assume in Jersey). Anne dies on the 18 of April 1670 and John then re-marries to Judith de Carteret daughter of Dr. Phillip de Carteret by the Minister of Millbrook Church.

Judith de Carteret was the daughter of Phillip de Carteret, grandaughter of Francois de Carteret (1601-1670), great grandaughter of Helier de Carteret (b.1535), great great grandaughter of Francois de Carteret (b.1510) and great great great grandaughter of Richard de Carteret (b.1488) of the Vinchelez de Haut Branch of the de Carteret family of Jersey, Channel Islands.

John Rawlings and Judith de Carteret had 3 children:
-  Rev Gershom Rawlings (1685-1757)
- John Rawlings
- Phillip Rawlings

Gershom Rawlings, the son of John and Judith, was born in Boston, Massachusetts on the 29th of Jan 1685. He entered Harvard in 1701, 1703, and 1704. He graduated in 1705, at the age of 20, with an M.A. On the day of graduation Judge Samuel Sewall gave Gershom a $20 bill. Post graduation, 6 months after, Gershom taught at Woburn, earning £15. Whilst at Harvard, Gershom was the "scholar of the house" and looked after the college buildings. Edward Holyoke (1689-1789) was a personal friend of Gershom's and they both graduated in 1705. Holyoke would later become the 9th President of Harvard and his son Dr. Edward Augustus Holyoke would marry Judith Pickman - a relative of Gershom Rawlings. Gershom did not take his second degree in 1708 which would of been an A.M. Gershom Rawlings, a reverend, married Mary Cropley on the 12th of November 1747 in Holborn, London, United Kingdom and died at his residence in St. John's Square, London on the 14th of December 1757. - I'm not sure if he had any children.

Phillip Rawlings, Gershom's brother, married Hannah Parsons on the 19th of August 1708 in Boston. They had the following children ( as far as I know - I found this out on the Jersey Archive website as they were involved in a inheritance case):
- Judith Rawlings - wife to James Worth (becomes widow).
- Hannah Rawlings - wife to James Hinks.
- Esther Rawlings

Hannah and Judith were born in Boston. Judith was born on the 11th of August 1712 and Hannah was born on the 5th of July 1715.

I can't seem to locate a birth for Phillip Rawlings. - I assume he was born in Boston seeing as his brother Gershom was.

Lastly, John Rawlings, brother to Phillip and Gershom, had a son John Rawlings who had a son, Carteret Rawlings. This one is interesting. I've got an ancestor by the name of "Captain John Rawlings" who had a son called John, and John (the son) may of had a child called Carteret Rawlings - seeing as John (the son) had a brother called Carteret Rawlings. The problem with this is that I can't link the birth of John Rawlings brother to Gershom and Phillip to Captain John Rawlings - although Im positive that they are the same person. Captain John Rawlings married firstly Miss Elsden (he had one daughter with her) and then secondly to Love Prout formerly English and had issue:
- Judith
+ 5

I would appreciate it if someone could find a birth for Phillip Rawlings and link Captain John Rawlings to the John Rawlings - son of John and Judith. I'm sure they are the same person.

Thanks,

GenealogistSykes.

Offline genealogistsykes

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Rawlings of Boston and de Carteret's of Jersey
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 November 13 23:01 GMT (UK) »
I've just downloaded Rev Gershom Rawlins will and it states that Judith Rawlings wife to Clark Gayton was his niece and it also refers to his nephew Carteret Rawlins who lives in Jersey and his brother Phillip. Looks like I was correct with my assumption.

Does anyone know how I would find out when Judith Rawlings (nee. de Carteret) and John Rawlings arrived in Boston?

Offline Lisa B

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rawlings of Boston and de Carteret's of Jersey
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 November 14 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi I to descend from Richard de Carteret and also have other lines of decent from the de Carteret's.
Lisa