Author Topic: Alfred TAYLOR b Wales, UK 1896; died Montoursville, PA 1992  (Read 2127 times)

Offline jansel70

• RootsChat Extra
  • G'day from Gold Coast - Perfect every day!
    • View Profile
Alfred TAYLOR b Wales, UK 1896; died Montoursville, PA 1992
« on: Thursday 23 October 14 09:46 BST (UK) »
Alfred Taylor, my wife's grandfather, lived in Pennsylvania from the mid 1920s until his death. He married Blanche Adaline Clees in 1945. The attached restored photo (thanks to RootsChat photo restoration forum) is the only one we have of him. We believe the photo was taken c1950/60 in a general store in Loyalsockville, PA (known to the locals as 'Slabtown') which was, for many years, operated by him and his wife.
Any assistance, information or comment in helping to confirm the date and location would be very much appreciated.
Many thanks.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Alfred TAYLOR b Wales, UK 1896; died Montoursville, PA 1992
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 October 14 10:26 BST (UK) »
Noticed the entry on FIND A GRAVE by a Clees surname for Adeline Clees Taylor -  Maybe if you contact - they may be able to give you more information.  ???

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=111782295&ref=acom

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=111782467

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline TeaCozyDozy

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 October 14 15:29 BST (UK) »
Are you certain he was born in Wales? I'm finding an Alfred matching your description born in York (England). Father is Edward Taylor? Married Blanche in Virginia?

Offline Razzle_Dazzle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Hey, y'all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 October 14 15:45 BST (UK) »
Oops! Sorry! I am TeaCozyDozy^. (Not sure when I started that account!)

Having looked at the findagrave links in the previous post, I think I must've been barking up the wrong tree there. Looks like your Alfred's dad is not Edward.

Lloyds: Denbighshire, Lovells: Leicestershire
Cooks: Nottinghamshire, Hodsons: Nottinghamshire

Other Fam: Derbyshire and Northamptonshire

And a bunch of hillbillies in America!

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 October 14 16:00 BST (UK) »
To confirm Virginia Marriages shows (as transcribed) :- Blanche ...Fry Clees - born 1913 Farragut, Penn and single - parents Alfred Franklin Clees and Jennie Mae Fry. Married 10 October 1945 - Alfred Taylor.  FHL Film Number: 31997
Alfred was divorced and Blanche single.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XRQB-VN9

You may be able to use the Family History Library's photoduplication services to get a copy - limit is 5 requests per month.

https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Photoduplication_Services

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline jansel70

• RootsChat Extra
  • G'day from Gold Coast - Perfect every day!
    • View Profile
Re: Alfred TAYLOR b Yorkshire, UK 1896; died Montoursville, PA 1992
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 October 14 22:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra and Razzle_Dazzle.....Thanks very much for your responses, and I have an apology to make. You both have the right Alfred Taylor. He was, of course, born in Thornaby, Yorkshire but moved to  Cardiff, Wales sometime between the 1901 and 1911 censuses. Sorry about that - my focus has been on Wales and Pennsylvania, and I got the important birth detail wrong. Bad error on my part😪.

I have tracked him pretty well since he arrived in New York in 1929 - including the marriage to Blanche Adaline Clees,  and have made contact with some current step family descendants in Pennsylvania....but unfortunately have not yet got a lot of detail of his life there. Was hoping to maybe pick up some more info with the photo post. I'll continue searching and pursue the Family Search Photo Duplication Service. Thanks, again.....Sel

Offline Allcanadian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 December 15 22:54 GMT (UK) »
This Alfred Taylor was my great-uncle.  I have more pictures of him and even a letter he wrote to one of my great-aunts. I know quite a bit about the family history of the Taylors - please feel free to contact me.  I've attached another photo of him in his store!

Offline Allcanadian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 December 15 23:06 GMT (UK) »
p.s. I was wrong - actually the letter is from his wife Adeline to my great-aunt! 

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 28 December 15 01:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Allcanadian,

Welcome to Roots Chat.  I just wanted to let you know that we have a rule against posting photos of living or possibly living people.  Unless you have information that the children in the last photo are definitely deceased, it will need to be removed.  If you & jansel70 would like, you could exchange e-mail addresses via our Private Message system and send information privately that way.

Thanks!