Author Topic: Two Alexander Pollocks  (Read 6696 times)

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Two Alexander Pollocks
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 17 May 14 11:18 BST (UK) »
Hello margmasson,
     Most of my ancestors were hand loom weavers (1841, 1851, 1861) but by 1871 Census many of them are listed as labourers. I think a combination of American Civil War (1860-65) where ports in the Southern States were blockaded to stop exports, and the opening of large mills that could buy cheaply in bulk from elsewhere, made cotton difficult & expensive to obtain & virtually put an end to Cottage Weaving.
     So 2 different occupations for Alexander might not mean 2 Alexander Pollocks.

1851 Census. (Ancestry)
Alexander (Hand Loom Weaver, Cotton) & wife Catharine are at Dipple, Kirkoswald.
Oldest child Elizabeth age 12. b abt 1839 would fit in with 1839 marriage of Alexander Pollock & Catherine Nicol.
     1861 Census.
Alexander Pollock (Cotton Weaver) is at 1 Dipple, Kirkoswald. Catherine not on this Census.
Daughter Elizabeth is 21. Catharine Robson 67 Mother-in-law.
     1871 Census.
Alexander Pollock (Ag Lab) & wife Catherine are at Dipple Cottage, Kirkoswald.
William Rowan, grandson age 2 is also in the household. (Scotlandspeople have a marriage for Alexander Rowan & a female Pollock 1871 at Kirkoswald) Grandson Alexander Pollock age 6 is also living with them.
     1881 Census.
Alexander Pollock (Ag Lab) & wife Catherine are at 1 Dowhill Cottage, Kirkoswald.
Grandson Alexander Pollock age 15 is still living with them.

The 1871 Rowan/Pollock marriage on ScotlandsPeople should give parents names.

Good luck with you search.  Regards,     Dod.

"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline margmasson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 17 May 14 11:46 BST (UK) »
 Thank you Dod.I think I am becoming convinced that Elizabeth Quinn and Elizabeth Caddon are the same woman.
                                   Marg
masson:aberdeen
pollock:ayrshire
Scott:Dorset
Weatherley:hertfordshire
Direen Tipparery
Healy Clare

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 17 May 14 13:17 BST (UK) »
Hi  Marg,

Another entry worth looking at-
1851 Census -
Kirkoswald, Dipple

Robert Pollock    Head    age 27     Farm Labourer               born Kirkoswald Ayrshire
Mary Pollock       Wife     age 22     Farm Labourer's Wife     born Girvan, Ayrshire
Elisabeth Pollock  Dau     age 2                                            born Kirkoswald, Ayrshire
Elisabeth Pollock  Mother Widow   age 68  Pauper- Formerly General Servant  born Ireland

Could the above be the mother of Alexander Pollock? With a bit of luck this lady died after 1855 and you might find a death cert for her. That could clarify her maiden name.

And on the 1841-

Kirkoswald, Dipple

Robert Pullock        age  20         Tile Maker                           born Ireland
Elizabeth Pullock     age 50                                                     born Ireland
Wm Wallace            age 50    Cotton Hand Loom Weaver               "
William Wallace       age 20         Tile Maker                                    "
John Wallace            age 18   Cotton Hand Loom Weaver       born Ayrshire
Martha Wallace        age 16                                                            "
Margt Duran            age 50    M.S  (?)                            born Ireland   occupation as enumerated

Think this is the same Robert and Elizabeth/Elisabeth as 1851 although this Robert has place of birth Ireland. Probably Ireland is correct and by 1851 Robert was making himself Scots born (I've come across a good few occasions in my own family history when Irish born suddenly become Ayrshire born on the Censuses  ??? )

Good luck with your research,
Looby :)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 17 May 14 13:50 BST (UK) »
Meant to add to last post-
I agree with Dod - changing occupations was common - folk found work where they could.
Tile making was the main industry in the small area of Kirkoswald circa 1840. But changing from a tile maker to a weaver then a labourer is perfectly possible.

Offline margmasson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 17 May 14 21:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Looby. I did send you a reply last night (Aus time), but for some reason it hasn't appeared.I got the cert, for Catherine Robertson.Widow of Joseph Robertson. Father Nicol.No given name. Mother not known. Informant Alex Pollock, son in law.I am more convinced than ever that there is only Alexander Pollock and he is my G G Grandfathers brother. I also think Elizabeth Quinn and Elizabeth Caddon are the same woman.I think "Elizabeth Quinn" on the 1839 marriage is incorrect. Irish accent, nervous Groom, who knows? Might be a mistake by the Mimister. I've seen that before! (havn't we all?) On my parents marriage the priest misspelt my paternal grandmothers name, If my father had not  told us about it, I would have thought my grandfather was married to a different woman! One of my "brick walls" has come tumbling down! I want to thank you and all the others who have helped me. How good is Rootschat! So many people so willing to help, so we can enjoy our great hobby.
                         Many thanks
                                    Marg.
Direen Tipparery
Healy Clare

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 18 May 14 02:16 BST (UK) »
Hey Marg,
Pleased to have been able to help.
Good luck with the rest of your research.
BTW - both Catherine Robson/Robertson and Elizabeth Pollock were described as Paupers. You may find that they applied for Poor Relief and there may be records still in existence.

Offline margmasson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 18 May 14 11:41 BST (UK) »
Hello Looby. Are the Poor Relief records available and is it possible to access them? Was being a Pauper similar to an age pension?
                                   Marg.
Direen Tipparery
Healy Clare

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 19 May 14 09:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Marg,

Yes Poor Relief records are in many cases available to research, but it's not going to be easy from Australia as to my knowledge (which is by no means expert) they are not online. Maybe another Rootschatter might pop up and say they are - lets hope so!

Being a Pauper was not the same as being what we would call a pensioner. Paupers were people who were unable to financially support themselves or work to earn money - the elderly, the sick, the disabled, orphans, women abandoned or widowed with children etc.
Here are a couple of links which will describe the system better than I can -
http://www.scan.org.uk/familyhistory/myancestor/pauper.htm

http://www.nas.gov.uk/guides/poor.asp

The good news is that records for both Catherine Robertson and Elizaberth Pollock appear to exist.

http://www.ayrshire-roots.co.uk/poorrelief.php

You need to register for this site  - no cost it's free - and give yourself a username and password.
A search for Elizabeth Pollock and Catherine Robertson gave these results -

Elizabeth Pollock  age 66    widow maiden name McAdam     born Ireland
Catherine Robertson age 68  widow maiden name Nicol                born Ireland
Catherine Robertson  age 76  widow maiden name Nicol               born Ireland
In fact there could be multiple applications (especially in the case of Catherine). Ayrshire Poor Relief site also has the option to request copies of the records . I have never used it so do not know the process or if there is a charge.

Re. Elizabeth Pollock's maiden name of McAdam - again I suspect that could be a corruption of Caddon??

Good luck with the searches and if you go ahead I'd be interested to know how you got on  :)

Offline margmasson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 19 May 14 11:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that,Looby. I will see how I get on.
                      Marg.
Direen Tipparery
Healy Clare