Author Topic: (Newport) 1861/1871 Census Lookup Requests Please For Sarah Anne Rossiter  (Read 6463 times)

Offline rcuser

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "The truth is out there",Special Agent Fox Mulder
    • View Profile
Re: (Newport) 1861/1871 Census Lookup Requests Please For Sarah Anne Rossiter
« Reply #9 on: Monday 29 October 07 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith,

Thanks for clarifying that.

Best wishes

rcuser
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching Rossiter, Finn, Wright, Vaughan, Bloor, Acton, Clay, Moorhouse, Foxall, Hart, Knott and many other families

Offline crow

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 06 November 07 01:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Just had some certificates back from the Newport Rossiters.
Sarah Jane Rossiter was born 13th December 1863, Marshes Road, Newport. Mother Selina Rossiter, informant Caroline Rossiter. (no father)

So it seems I was wrong and Sarah Jane was Selinas daugther, despiter the census stating that it was her sister.

Other info if you are interested.
Elizabeth Rossiter, born 28th May 1858, Marshes Road, Parents John Rossiter and Caroline Rossiter (Stone)

As I've mentioned before I think the 1861 census is Caroline (nee Stone) the age is near but birthplace wrong.

Death 4th January 1862 Marshes Road, Newport, John Rossiter, age 47, road labourer, George Davis present at death.
Could this be Carolines John, age is a few years out.

Death 19th November,1879, 10 Marshes Road, Newport
Ann Rossiter, age 40, Wife of William Rossiter, Labourer, William Rossiter present at death.

On Carolines marriage to William Rossiter in 1881, William states that he is widowed, I suspect this is the William above and although again the age is different I think it could be the same William and Ann who are in the 1871 census with Francis.

Marriage 15th March 1869, Charles Rossiter & Mary Ann Veal, Bristol, both 18, Charles is Mariner, Both living at New Bread Street, Bristol. fathers John Rossiter & George Veal.
This is Carolines son who has moved to Bristol and married. I found him in the 1871 census. It confirms that his father was also John Rossiter.
Other certs not connected but might be of interest to your research.
Birth 23rd June 1848, Mint? Frome, Charles Rossiter son of Job Rossiter and Ann nee Langford.
Marriage
15th April 1849, St Woolas, Newport, William Rossiter 22, Susan Davis 20, fathers William Rossiter sadler and Evan Davis, labourer.
In 1851 Susan is already a widow with a son called William and living with her parents, so I have no idea where her husband was born.

Marriage, 22nd December 1869, Newport, William Rossiter 20, gas lamp fitter, Annie Elizabeth Thomas 18, both living Thomas Street Newport, Fathers William Rossiter deceased, Edward thomas.
This is the previous William Rossiters son.

Deaths
9th February 1906, 109 Durham Road, Newport, William Rossiter age 76, labourer, W. Poulson, Step son in attendance.
This is Carolines husband who she married in 1881, Selinas 2nd husband was in attendance.

Death
6th February 1910 Shaftesbury St, (originally Marshes Road)
William Rossiter age 72, Shoe repairer, Heart failure due to being hit by motor car. Certified by Coroner.

I have a few more certs to arrive will let you know more.

Thanks
Keith

Offline rcuser

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "The truth is out there",Special Agent Fox Mulder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 06 November 07 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith,

Many thanks for that long & very informative post.

Will get back to you when I have digested the information and developed any useful insights.

Thanks again for that.

Best wishes

rcuser
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching Rossiter, Finn, Wright, Vaughan, Bloor, Acton, Clay, Moorhouse, Foxall, Hart, Knott and many other families

Offline ronwilliams

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 15 October 12 21:24 BST (UK) »
Evening
Just joined the site, I am tracing my history and have links to Selina Birt, Selina and William Rossiter and the Stones prior to this on my mothers side.
Any information that you could share on this tree will be of great help.