Author Topic: Looking for cottage,Crumlin??  (Read 4510 times)

Offline Sheila Whittingham

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Looking for cottage,Crumlin??
« on: Thursday 12 April 12 10:28 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find the cottage where my 3xGrandmother Caroline flower, her son John and his wife Maria and children lived in 1874.
I only have vague details from a newspaper report  of their trial for the torture and manslaughter of Maria, for which they both received 20 years penal servitude.
They moved to Wales from Bristol after Caroline's husband died in 1870, and John worked at the Aberbeeg colliery smithy as a striker earning 5 shillings a day,most of which he drank away in the Hanbury Arms.
Witness's at the trial held in Blackwood were Ellen and Gareth Lucas "residing at the Trynant, in a row of 12 houses, next door to the Flowers.
Mr.Lewis of Pentwyn.
Eliza and William Bessant "living at the Trynant, near where the deceased lived"
Jemima and Enoch Filer "residing in Trynant Row, two doors from the Flowers house.
I found two Crumlins on the modern map and wondered in which the Flowers lived.
The story cast a blight over the whole village and the account of the treatment of Maria makes harrowing reading.If you are descended from any of the witness's or can shed light on where the house was situated I would love to hear from you.Nobody in the family has ever mentioned this terrible event, and I only found it during family research.
Thankyou
Sheila
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Wynn.Wynne,Cowdrey,Cholerton,Stortz,Whittingham,Potter, Garnett,Flower,Gray,Given,Matthews,DeBruyne. Short.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for cottage,Crumlin??
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 April 12 10:40 BST (UK) »
What you are looking for in Pentwyn Crumlin.
Trinant is just south of that town, and east of Blackwood.

Use Google Maps for Trinant Methodist Church!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 April 12 10:52 BST (UK) »
Many Thanks. Have found the area, now all I need is to find a row of 12 cottages,if they still exist.
Sheila

Wynn.Wynne,Cowdrey,Cholerton,Stortz,Whittingham,Potter, Garnett,Flower,Gray,Given,Matthews,DeBruyne. Short.

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 January 13 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Just in case you have not resolved this, I think I may have found what you want.  I found Enoch Filer & his wife Jemima on the 1881 census living in a place called Rampin Row, Cwmcarn, South Wales - couple of miles from Crumlin.  This is a row of 12 cottages!!!

Here are 3 links that will help:

1.  http://your.caerphilly.gov.uk/cwmcarnforest/history/cwmcarn-and-coal

2. http://www.crosskeys.me.uk/photos/morgan2/image021.h

3. http://cymdeithastwmbarlwm.blogspot.co.uk/2011/07/lost-farmsteads-of-cwmcarn-valley.html#!/2011/07/lost-farmsteads-of-cwmcarn-valley.html

RayD
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 January 13 15:35 GMT (UK) »
Forgot to say that on the 1871 census, William Bessant and his wife were living in the next street to Rampin Row (don't know far away - can't make out the name of the street).

RayD
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 January 13 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Sorry - seems I have led you astray.  Have just checked the 1871 & 1881 census again and Rampin Row is definetly in Crumlin and not CwmCarn.  I got swayed by the mention of "the Rampings".

However it looks like the cottages were Rampin Row - but they are definetly gone now and up to present I have been unable to locate their exact location.  I live locally so will ask around and see if I can find any more information.  Where was the newspaper report from?

RayD

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 January 13 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Go to www.old-maps.co.uk
Use the search term - Woodland Drive Tirnant - (not necessarily the exact position)
Choose the first address
When the map loads,choose the 1879-1880 1:2500 historic map from the right hand list.
Ramping Row will be "south west" of the centre of the map.
Use one-off magnification or Windows zoom to enhance detail.

Regards
Roger

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 January 13 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Roger

What a great resource!  Excellent.  Ton Tir Bel are the next group of houses to Ramping Row on the 1871/1881 census

Ray

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for cottage,Crumlin?? SOLVED
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 January 13 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou everyone.This family matter has now beeen resolved, and a fellow researcher has sent a photo of what he believes was the  12 cottages, demolished in the 1930's.Called "The long Row" Trinant also known as "The Rank" and is a row of 12 cottages in a slight curve.Newspapers all over the country ran the story which can be found on newspapers online.Caroline died in a womans prison at the age of 82 and Jonathan served his time and is believed to have died falling under a coal wagon.If anyone knows where Maria is buried I would be grateful as I would like to visit her grave.The photograph was too large to put with my text but if anyone wants to see photo,please E mail me privately and i'll send .
Sheila.