Author Topic: Deciphering a Newbould family occupation-is it a local firm?  (Read 2344 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Deciphering a Newbould family occupation-is it a local firm?
« on: Wednesday 14 May 14 15:02 BST (UK) »
In the 1871 census for Sheepshed Leicestershire, in Ancestry entry Ed22 Sched146 piece3257 fol83 page30, there is a Newbould family living at Queen street.
I'm sorry that I'm not clever enough to copy the image onto here, but the Head of family, William Newbould, and eldest son, have entries under the "rank, profession Occupation" column that I can't make sense of at all.
The entry by William seems to me like "J K W Merino", and that for his son John reads "J K W" in a similar manner. I wonder if there was some local firm that this relates to? After all, anywhere called "Sheepshed" might have some connection with sheep, and Merino is a sort of sheep, and in the 19th century was I think a fashionable light but warm cloth?
Could anyone help me by either:
a) providing a better interpretation of the entry?, or
b) letting me know if there was some such firm in the area?
I thank you for at least looking at my question - it's probably obvious to all but me.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Deciphering a Newbould family occupation-is it a local firm?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 15:10 BST (UK) »
FWK is Frame work knitter - Merino  ;D

http://rmhh.co.uk/occup/f.html

http://www.wirksworth.org.uk/A11-FWK.htm

you were not far off  ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 17:18 BST (UK) »
Ah, thank you. my problem is that I can always see so many different possibilities that I confuse myself! Probably not the Newbould / Newbold s I'm looking for then.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 17:39 BST (UK) »
Shame it isn't who you are after though

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nel gin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 May 14 03:59 BST (UK) »
You said it's not the Newbould you were looking for, who are you looking for? I don't see anyone with the name spelled as you do, but I see Newbold.

The William Newbold you're looking at on page 30 is definitely F W K. Same for his son John and other people on that page.

Maybe you can let us know who you're looking for then we can keep an eye out.

Not sure if this will hurt of hinder you.
Leicester Chronicle 19 March 1881 - Wddings
Newbold - Bennett - On the 15th nst, at St Winifred's Chapel, Sheepshed, Mr William Newbold to Miss Mary Bennett.

Just saw it in passing so thought I'd post it.