Author Topic: SNOWBALL Family of Harlow Hill, Northumberland  (Read 4855 times)

Offline ssnowball

• RootsChat Extra
  • John Snowball my 2X great grandfather b.1822
    • View Profile
SNOWBALL Family of Harlow Hill, Northumberland
« on: Thursday 09 February 06 23:06 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to get information on George Snowball of Harlow Hill near Ovingham, Northumberland.
He was born around 1758/9 but probably elsewhere.  Accurate dates if posible required. George appears to have died in 1824 and was buried at Ovingham St. Mary the Virgin Parish Church on 10th June aged 66. Married to Mary Laidler on 25th June 1786. Taking it back from here to find George's birthplace and parentage is proving very difficult. If it's any help this couple had 3 children, Mary b.1787 Fulan's Moor (probably transcription error for Fewland's Moor, near Harlow Hill), John b.1790'ish Harlow Hill  and George b. 1793. Any info. on these children would also be very useful. ???
Names: Snowball
Areas: Northumberland.
          Co.Durham

Offline CB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: SNOWBALL Family of Harlow Hill, Northumberland
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 February 06 17:31 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if you are aware, but i have seen this family name on either the 1841 or 51 Census of Alnwick. I would of thought that with such a surname they may be related.
Hope this is of some help,
CB.
Bell, Foreman, Bryson, Cock, Ward, Scott.  - Alnwick area.
Jobling, Gilbraith, Slowther, Wears, Trotter, Skelton, Farmer. - Sunderland Area.
Wells, Priest, Groom, Plane, Surfling, Pegg, Cox.  - North Norfolk.
Wade, Wells, Cockcroft. -  Stockton.
Hallas, Cockcroft.  - Leeds area.
Palmer, Wears.  - Hartlepool.

Offline cherryberry

• RootsChat Member
  • Where's that mouse???
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 April 07 22:53 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to get information on George Snowball born around 1758 of Harlow Hill, near Ovingham, Northumberland.
Accurate dates if posible. He died 1824? Harlow Hill. Married to Mary Laidler in 1786. Taking it back from here is proving difficult. If it's any help this couple had 3 children, Mary b.1787 Fulan's Moor, John b.1790ish Harlow Hill  and George b. 1793. Any info. on these also very useful.

I hope you don't mind me  just mentioning  but I have been looking at the church of St John Lee today Looking  for Rutherfords.  I came across a head stone for Snowball  and  Harlow hill is not that far for there.  We went past it to day in the car coming back home  it stuck in my mind as I used to live in  Harlow Hill Harrogate  ;D

also i have the St john lee  bmd parish register if you like i can pass on what i find about snowball family as there are a few mention on there
Regards Cherryberry

Northumberland  Rutherford, Irwin
Jarrow co Durham. Rutherford, Douglass, Kilgour. Fairweather. Gallagher,Rogers.Hymers
South Sheilds Co Durham Elsy Rames.
Norfolk Elsy. Feathstone Amis
Leeds Yorkshire Rigby Gaunt Gillett
South Petherton Somerset Marks,Sweet Gayleard Lawrance,Marsh

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ssnowball

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 April 07 10:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for the response. I haven't yet looked beyond the immediate area of Harlow Hill/Ovingham, so anything that you come across in your own research will be gratefully appreciated. SS.
          Co.Durham

Offline layreader1810

• I am sorry my email are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • I'm cool
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 May 07 18:31 BST (UK) »
Hi SS Iwas recently looking for relatives in Church Bank Cemetery, Willington Quay, Tynemouth Distrct and there are some Snowballs buried there.
Hope it helps with your search. LR
Anderson, Cairns, Cotman, Foster, Franklin, Galloway, Taylor, Washer

Offline ssnowball

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 May 07 20:40 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your contribution.
SS
          Co.Durham

Offline SueAlexander

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 February 13 17:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I have just started researching into my Great Grandmother Hannah Augusta Snowball and came upon your most interesting posts.  I have a copy of an oil painting of Hannah, her death certificate and other details of her family but would love to learn any more information about the time of her birth in the USA or details about her parents John Snowball and Sarah Laidler. Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks Sue

Offline ssnowball

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 February 13 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I have just started researching into my Great Grandmother Hannah Augusta Snowball and came upon your most interesting posts.  I have a copy of an oil painting of Hannah, her death certificate and other details of her family but would love to learn any more information about the time of her birth in the USA or details about her parents John Snowball and Sarah Laidler. Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks Sue

Hi Sue

I've sent a message with my email so can then send you a large amount on John Snowball and his family, photos, documents etc. Let me know if it gets through! Regards
Steve
          Co.Durham

Offline Christine Cleal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 July 14 13:30 BST (UK) »
The Bishop of Durham's transcripts of the Births, Marriages and Burials of the Parishes of the County of Northumberland have whacks of Snowballs from 1764 on. They are free, available on line, but take ages to plough through.I know, I have done it as the *** Rutherfords changed parishes every few months. Happy hunting!