Author Topic: Watson - Ulgham - early 1800s  (Read 3898 times)

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Watson - Ulgham - early 1800s
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 15 June 14 23:41 BST (UK) »
Although both 1813 I think that is a different marriage Davidft. The one I thought might be a possibility was a bit further afield in Hartburn. Bride was Mary Woodman.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 15 June 14 23:54 BST (UK) »
Think that may be two marriages ruled out then

There is this will in Hartburn if you come to a dead end but I think it may end up just telling you its not yours

William WATSON, farmer, of formerly of West Shaftoe in the parish of Hartburn in the county of Northumberland but late of Whalton in the same county [Hartburn (Northumberland), Northumberland].
Date of death: 1832

Date of probate: 10 March 1832
•will, 16 April 1823 (DPRI/1/1832/W17/1-3)

•registered copy of will, 16 April 1823 (DPRI/2/43 p168)

Have you manages to follow Joseph or Isabella to see if that helps ?
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 16 June 14 00:02 BST (UK) »
Some straws for you to clutch at

Joseph and Ann's first four children are

Mary - named after paternal mother
Isabella named after dead sister or Ann's mother ?
John named after Ann's father ?
William named after paternal father

may help find the parents again

Possible marriage, NB it does not say William is dead

Name:     Joseph Watson 
 Spouse's Name: Ann Berkley     
 Event Date:    1838   
 Event Place:    Newcastle Upon Tyne, St.Nicholas, Northumberland, England   
 Father's Name: William Watson     
 Spouse's Father's Name: Thomas Berkley 
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 16 June 14 06:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the will info Davidft. I had not seen that. Will take a closer look to see if there were other Williams in Hartburn or if it will exclude the one I thought might be mine.
I had found 6 children for Joseph, but had not found his wife Ann´s surname, so that helps too.
I have not yet found any more about Isabell.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 18 June 14 22:14 BST (UK) »
I had a look in the Northumberland marriage index for any William Watson married to a Mary before 1816.  There were three possibles

1813  Mary Woodman - Hartburn (this would be the one mentioned above)
1814  Mary Hutchinson - Warkworth
1814  Mary Splifford - Tynemouth

The index starts in 1813 so if they were married before that then this won’t help.

Christine

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 18 June 14 22:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Christine.

So far I have been leaning towards the Mary Woodman marriage in Hartburn which also has a potential next generation Joseph Watson which would fit nicely with my own William having a boy Joseph. No concrete evidence yet though that this is the right one.

Will take a closer look at the other two options that you have found. Have a lot of other ancestors in Tynemouth at that time too, so who knows they may even be neighbours of some of them if it turns out to be the Splifford one. Best of all would be if it ended up being Warkworth. Fascinated to see how close they lived to my house on Castle St :)

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 18 June 14 22:59 BST (UK) »
Just had a look at the 1841 census for Warkworth. Could be onto something here. Found William Watson age 50 and Mary 48 living in Hadston. William is an ag. lab. which would fit. They have 5 kids, the eldest Mary being born in 1824 which is a fairly late start given their ages. Given that my William and Mary produced three kids from 1816 to 1820, who all were old enough to be away from home in 1841, it is not inconceivable that this is the same family. Only 6 miles from Ulgham to Hadston.

Another plus point worth a closer follow up is that 3 of my autosomal DNA matches and two of my aunt's matches have Hutchinson in their surname lists.

Getting late and I have an early start tomorrow so further musings on this family will have to wait until tomorrow.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 18 June 14 23:20 BST (UK) »
Could not resist just one (or two) more search(es) before bedtime. Found a Mary Hutchinson baptized in Felton in 1791 to parents Joseph and Mary. Plus subsequent censuses which may be the William Watson & Mary from 1841 in Hadston moving around Northumberland each time, where he is shown as from Ryle and she is from Felton. Definitely going to take a closer look at all of this on Thursday.

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 19 June 14 00:00 BST (UK) »
Ulgham Grange is nearer to Warkworth than to Hartburn

Christine