Author Topic: PARISH RECORDS Robert MARSHALL & ELIZABETH MCGROUTHER  (Read 2528 times)

Offline NicholasJB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
PARISH RECORDS Robert MARSHALL & ELIZABETH MCGROUTHER
« on: Monday 01 January 07 01:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I'm looking for more information on the parents of my ancestor Christina (Christian) Marshall (1795-1876), who was born in Bothwell. Her parents were:

Robert MARSHALL (a farm servant) and Elizabeth McGROUTHER or McGRUTHER.

I don't have their marriage dates or any information on when/where they were born or died. Christina was christened in Airth, Stirling on 11 Jan 1795. The second daughter, Agnes was also christened in Airth. However, the third daughter, Anne Bruce Marshall was christened in Larbert in 1797. Their fourth daughter, Isabela Marshall, was christened in Torphichen, West Lothian in 1802. The last daughter was also christened in Torphichen in 1811.

Any help on finding birth, marriage or death info on Robert Marshall and Elizabeth McGrouther would be helpful. I would really like to find the names of their parents.

Happy New Year. :)

Nicholas J. Bridgewater
England: Booth, Bridgewater, Brown, Buckley, Cooper, Hopley, Holt, Hughes, Kirkham, Laughton (Lawton/Lotton), Lewis, Stevenson, Tunley, Yates

Scotland: Eaton (Ayton), Bell, Carr, Carrie (Kerrie), Cobb, Fyfe, Kent, Miller, Ochterlony (Auchterlonie), Taylor

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: PARISH RECORDS Robert MARSHALL & ELIZABETH MCGROUTHER
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 January 07 01:44 GMT (UK) »
Nicholas

Done a search for female marshall child born in Bothwell parish and Airth parish and no returns fitted in. The nearest Marshall birth to 1795 was1814 at Bothwell. Maybe someone can tie them down on a census record., although maybe a bit early for 1841.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 January 07 12:38 GMT (UK) »
ROBERT MARSHALL
Spouse: ELIZABETH MCGROUTHER
17 JAN 1794   Auchterarder, Perth, Scotland

This is the only marriage I can find between the two names. The dates seem to fit but for now, they're only a possible match.

Offline Duncan Don

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth McGrouther/McGruthar and Robert Marshall married on 7 January 1794 at Airth and on 17 January 1794 at Auchterarder.

Elizabeth Compton (Betty) McGruther died in 1855 in Bothwell age 86 widow of Robert Marshall, agricultural labourer. On her death certificate she is wrongly described as born at Dunkeld, for on 4 March 1767 Elizabeth Compton McGrowthar/McGruther was born the seventh of 15 children to Duncan McGrowthar/McGruthar at Bow of Machany (subsequent children were born at South Kinkell).

Duncan McGrowthar/McGruthar of Callander and Christian Clemmett were married at Crieff on 5 June 1757 and also recorded their marriage at Monzie on 16 June 1757. Their 15 children were baptised at Monzie, Muthill Episcopal Church and Trinity Gask from 1758 to twins born in 1780 .

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Duncan Don,

There are some different spellings of the McGruther surname, took me a while to look thump for myself even after you posted, well done. Hope original poster logs back in to see.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline NicholasJB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 November 14 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Duncan McGrowthar/McGruthar of Callander and Christian Clemmett were married at Crieff on 5 June 1757 and also recorded their marriage at Monzie on 16 June 1757. Their 15 children were baptised at Monzie, Muthill Episcopal Church and Trinity Gask from 1758 to twins born in 1780 .

Many thanks. :) That's very helpful.

Is there any information available on Duncan McGrowthar or Christian Clemmett's parentage?

Best wishes,
England: Booth, Bridgewater, Brown, Buckley, Cooper, Hopley, Holt, Hughes, Kirkham, Laughton (Lawton/Lotton), Lewis, Stevenson, Tunley, Yates

Scotland: Eaton (Ayton), Bell, Carr, Carrie (Kerrie), Cobb, Fyfe, Kent, Miller, Ochterlony (Auchterlonie), Taylor

Offline paulbenn

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 January 17 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Bit new at this but came across your interest in Ann Bruce Marshall who has just popped up in my tree. Think she was born either when yours was or maybe a few years later. Think mine married william Bennett 1833 and appears in censuses with him subsequently but then appears to end up as a pauper poor old soul. Any connection to yours ?

Offline NicholasJB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 January 17 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi. The only details I have are that Ann Bruce Marshall was christened 4 November 1797 in Larbert, Stirling, Scotland. She is the sister of my ancestor Christina/Christian Marshall b. 1795 in Bothwell, Scotland. If you have anything you want to share, please get in touch.