Author Topic: Scottish Bankruptcy records  (Read 4685 times)

Offline siouxchief

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Scottish Bankruptcy records
« on: Monday 08 December 14 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Does anyone know if the Scottish bankruptcy records are any good for detail if I went about trying to see them?  Found this and I'm pretty sure this is the same Patrick Kennedy who was my relative and an egg seller at the time in Glasgow:

http://catalogue.nrscotland.gov.uk/nrsonlinecatalogue/details.aspx?reference=CS318%2f21%2f230&st=1&tc=y&tl=n&tn=n&tp=n&k=Patrick+kennedy&ko=a&r=&ro=s&df=1840&dt=1885&di=y

Not sure if this search searches the poor records so if anyone knows that too it would be useful. I didn't specify a catalogue.

Thanks
David

Offline ITBookworm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Scottish Bankruptcy records
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 December 14 16:20 GMT (UK) »
I can't 100% say for the rest of Scotland but I do know that the poor records for Glasgow (and at least some for the rest of Lanarkshire) are held by the Mitchell Library in Glasgow. If you are able to visit then they have a computer index and you can then see the original record if you find anyone.

If you can't visit the library I believe you can request a lookup - I will have a look and see if I can find the link.
Dempster, Harvie, Comrie, Adams
O'Neill, Curry, Dunbar, Crichton

Offline siouxchief

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 December 14 16:23 GMT (UK) »
That would be great, happy to pay for lookup but can't find any reference to this lookup facility online.

Offline ITBookworm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 December 14 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,

Having had a search around here and the site for the Mitchell itself it looks like there isn't a specific link to ask for a look up you just use the general email for the archives on the page below (in the contact us box on the left hand side)  :)

http://www.glasgowlife.org.uk/libraries/the-mitchell-library/archives/Pages/home.aspx

I think they get a reasonable number of enquires so don't expect an immediate answer but they should answer eventually.

Good luck.
Dempster, Harvie, Comrie, Adams
O'Neill, Curry, Dunbar, Crichton

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 December 14 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Re Mitchell library - City Archives - use their contact email address on the web site to contact them.

Re bankruptcy - this is announced in the Edinburgh and London Gazettes of the period
(The London Gazette, Publication date: 28 November 1876 Issue: 24388 Page: 6671)

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 December 14 16:50 GMT (UK) »
If you are  not near Edinburgh you can ask the NRS for a copy to be made - the access for the record is 'open'. Email from their website & they will send a price which you will have to pre-pay.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline siouxchief

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 December 14 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank you folks, maybe a coincidence but the Mitchell library just replied to my email I sent a few days ago so thats great news. Thanks for the Gazette link, the site isn't allowing me to search at the mo but will try again later when it stops erroring and i never knew this was a source of information online :-). Must check out asking the NRS too for a copy.

Offline siouxchief

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 December 14 17:23 GMT (UK) »
Found the gazette info:

"' The estates of Patrick Kennedy, Ham, Butter, and Egg JL  Merchant, 12. West Milton-street and 39, Stobcrossstreet, Glasgow, were sequestrated on the 23rd day of November, 1876, by the Sheriff of Lanarkshire. The first deliverance is dated the 23rd day of November, 1876."

I assume these addresses are a business address as I don't recognize them as his home address unless I got the wrong person?

Thanks for the help

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 08 December 14 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
You wondered whether it would be worth sending for the documents.

I sent for my gt. grandfather's 1874 bankruptcy hearing which took place in Glasgow and the outline of the result was in the Glasgow Herald Newspaper.  (He blamed the American civil War as the start of his woes because his trade relied on merchants that traded with the USA, and when that export market was shut down the whole of the UK felt it.).

I received a thick bundle of papers, which included
*reports by each of the creditors who had been appointed by the Sheriff; 
*a list of all the assets,
*plus the outcome of letters to debtors who owed money to my gg. 
*Plus a list of who bought what & the price at the auctioning of his assets (it turned out his brother-in-law had bought back his personal belongings for him - including the 7 portraits of the family).

From the documents - It turned out that his creditors had decided that to get as much of their money back as possible & that as some of the creditors were also competitors in the same market (thus had the expertise) would take away some component parts and produce as many finished products as possible so that they could be sold to the public.

The nicest thing about the final page was that all his creditors and the Sheriff thought my gg was an honourable man thus no further action was taken.

The awful realisation was that I think the 7 family portraits must have been that pile of old oil paintings that my father burnt in the bonfire back in the 1950s  :-\
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke