Author Topic: Cotton Family in Pennsylvania  (Read 3460 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Cotton Family in Pennsylvania
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 19 September 09 10:51 BST (UK) »
Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 19 September 09 11:04 BST (UK) »
Since Charles was "quite elderly" when he passed away, there might be a write up in a local paper.

You could try writing to the Manchester Library, asking it they might have archived newspapers for 1976.  If not, they might be able to tell you where to look for the newspaper.
http://library.ci.manchester.ct.us/reference.html

If you are able to find an obituary or a write-up, it might give you further details about the family.

[My mum's greatgrandmother was 105 when she passed away.  Her town newspaper had an article about her life and included a photograph of her.  Maybe the Manchester Newspaper might have done something similar for your Charles?]
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Jan Ann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I Know,If I Get to the Core then Answers R There!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 19 September 09 11:49 BST (UK) »
Cheers Lisa ;D ;D ;D
Jan :-*
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

TIVEY, WILDE,
Alker, Barmore, Birchall, Bird, Bryan, Chant, Clare,  Crump, Dow, Edwards, Fairbrother, Faulkner, Frearson, Frogson, Glew, Halliday, Heathcote, Hesford, Holliday, Jones, Knight, Massey, Mather, McKenna, Mee, Melling, Neal, O'Brien, Ottewell, Pimblett, Pinks, Price, Quinn, Rampling, Richards, Richardson, Rowley, Royle, Shakespeare, Shaw, Sheldon, Tandy, Thompson, Wade, Walker,  & more!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 19 September 09 15:57 BST (UK) »
Sorry for the copyright problem.  I retyped everything.  I will make sure to put it in a totally different format next time.  [I will also reread the details to make sure I am doing it correctly!]

Offline kashteen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 05:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Am a new user and don't know what buttons to push, but Charles Henry Cotton is my grandfather and Dorothy Edith Cotton is my mother. Florence is my aunt and Larry and Sharon are my cousins.

Offline kashteen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 05:31 GMT (UK) »
Could not remember Mom's hometown but saw Swissvale on the Pittsburg map. Rang a bell. Then googled Mom's name and found this chat site mentioning Swissvale with people asking about my grandfather. Well, I just wonder who is researching my family. Could we be family? Small world!

Offline kashteen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 07 November 14 05:58 GMT (UK) »
Jan Ann..  I am Charles Cotton's grandson. Can I be of any help?

Offline johnnyboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 17 November 14 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Jan Ann..  I am Charles Cotton's grandson. Can I be of any help?

Hi Kashteen: Welcome to Rootschat. Since you have posted three times here, you can now send a personal message to Jan Ann--if you haven't already received one from her. Just scroll up to her post at the top of this page and click on the third icon to the right at the bottom of info below her name. The Personal Message icon looks like a document page.

After reading through this thread again, I noticed that your grandfather was a steelworker at Carnegie Steel, so my guess in my first post on p. 1 that he worked at Rankin, Braddock, or Homestead was correct. Carnegie Steel, which was started by Andrew Carnegie, became U.S. Steel in 1907 or so.

Regards,
John  :o :o :o
ENGLAND (all Yorkshire but one)
SLATER: Ovenden, Halifax, and Massachusetts
DOBSON, LONGBOTTOM: Thornton (Bradford)
DRURY: Darton, Halifax, and Massachusetts
NEVIL(LE): Wigan (Lancs.), Darton
MEGSON: Dewsbury, Ossett
GARSIDE: Woolley, West Bretton

SCOTLAND
ROBERT HENDRY: b. 1856, Who-knows-where-shire, Scotland; 1882 to US
DEMPSTER, HOUSTON: Lesmahagow, Glasgow, and Massachusetts
GALBRAITH, MEIKLE: Kirkmichael, Ayr.; Hamilton, Glasgow, and Massachusetts

Offline Jan Ann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I Know,If I Get to the Core then Answers R There!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 18 November 14 09:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Johnnyboy  ;)

Kashteen has been in touch via PM and I have briefly replied to him. I am very busy at the mo with home improvements  etc and cant get to my files. I have informed Kashteen I will get back to him soon.
Cheers for the interest everyone.  :D
Regards
JanAnn
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

TIVEY, WILDE,
Alker, Barmore, Birchall, Bird, Bryan, Chant, Clare,  Crump, Dow, Edwards, Fairbrother, Faulkner, Frearson, Frogson, Glew, Halliday, Heathcote, Hesford, Holliday, Jones, Knight, Massey, Mather, McKenna, Mee, Melling, Neal, O'Brien, Ottewell, Pimblett, Pinks, Price, Quinn, Rampling, Richards, Richardson, Rowley, Royle, Shakespeare, Shaw, Sheldon, Tandy, Thompson, Wade, Walker,  & more!