Author Topic: McConnell Marriages 1840s-70s  (Read 11102 times)

Offline plumpyone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
McConnell Marriages 1840s-70s
« on: Tuesday 02 April 13 09:34 BST (UK) »
Hi there
I've done quite a bit of research on my McConnells since my last posts but have hit a bit of a brick wall as many common names causing difficulty sorting out those in my branch - can anyone help with providing more info on any of these marriages as they are all currently potentials, fathers names would be particularly helpful!
thanks a mill

11 Nov 1845    Samuel McConnell to Sarah Jane Acheson Kildarton CofI
22 July 1846    David McConnell to Martha Anderson Kildarton CofI
9 Jan 1852      John McConnell to Sarah Gordon Loughgilly CofI
3 Jan 1852      Andrew Fiddis to Mary McConnell Newry
23 Sept 1852  William Edgar to Mary Ann McConnell Newry
26 Jan 1856    John McConnell to Eliza Jane Little Kilcluney CofI
12 Feb 1857    William McConnell to Alice Pepper Newry
15 Oct 1858    John McConnell to Hanna Jane McConnell Loughgilly CofI
24 July 1858    John McConnell to Martha Jane McBride Armagh 1st Presby
26 Oct 1861    Henry McConnell to Agnes McClellend Newry
4 Apr 1862      Samuel McConnell to Isabella McComb Bessbrook Presby
1 Jan 1863      John McConnell to Lucinda Gibson Mullaghbrack CofI
13 July 1863   William McConnell to Elizabeth Thompson Newtownhamilton CofI
26 Mar 1867   Thomas McConnell to Mary Jane Dougan Kilcluney CofI
22 Dec 1869   Thomas Proctor to Jane McConnell Kingmills Presby
4 Mar 1870     John McConnell to Matilda Orr Keady Presby
24 Mar 1871   Alexander McConnell to Martha Jane Patterson Bessbrook Presby
24 May 1873   David McConnell to Elizabeth Moorhead Drumbanagher 1st Presby
31 July 1874   John W McConnell to Lucinda Kerr Downshire Road Presby Newry
8 Feb 1875    James Warnock to Agnes Elizabeth McConnell Ballymoyer CofI

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McConnell Marriages 1840s-70s
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 April 13 09:42 BST (UK) »
11 Nov 1845    Samuel McConnell to Sarah Jane Acheson https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FGF5-SZW
22 July 1846    David McConnell to Martha Anderson https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FGF5-W2W
9 Jan 1852      John McConnell to Sarah Gordon- father Hugh McConnell https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FGCV-WFJ
3 Jan 1852      Andrew Fiddis to Mary McConnell- father John McConnell https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FGCV-8S9

You can continue searching LDS database for the rest of the marriages-
https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/1584964
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline plumpyone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 April 13 15:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks, got a lot of them sorted and ruled out.

A few still causing me some problems re possble connections - very interested to hear from any descendents so we can compare notes!  In particular -

22 July 1846 David McConnell & Martha Anderson Kildarton CoI

26 Oct 1861 Henry McConnell & Agnes McClelland Newry Reg office

22 Dec 1869 Thomas Proctor & Jane McConnell Kingsmills Presby, (this couple lived in Ballytyrone and I'm very interested in making contact with any descendents)

Also looking for anyone out there who may be related to Moses McConnell from Tullyah (there are at least 3 generations of Moses')

Any info appreciated.
Many thanks

Offline damcconnell_uk

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 September 13 13:07 BST (UK) »
Hello plumpyone

I am the great grandson of a Moses McConnell born in St Quivix, Ayr in 1859.
His father also Moses born in Ireland and died in Dalmellington in 1862.
His father also called Moses McConnell was from Ireland.
So 3 generations of Moses.
I have tried tracing Moses McConnell in Ireland with no success.

Sincerely
David McConnell, Kirkcudbright , Scotland

Offline plumpyone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 September 13 12:03 BST (UK) »
Hi David,

Not sure how the various Moses' in my ancestry are linked to my family tree - there is a scant information available !  All of this relates to lands in Tullyah, which is a rural townland in the south of county Armagh

I'm fairly sure that David McConnell (my ancestor) and a John McConnell inherited 17 & 18 ‘Tullyagh’ in 1827.  Then in 1829 a Moses McConnell inherited 19&19a ‘Tullyagh’.  From this I think its likely that these 3 inherited from two different persons, X probate 1827 and Y probate 1829.  its only a small leap to conclude that X and Y likely inherited from a single common ancestor, i.e. their father who held all four plots and split the farm between them - this would mean that the that Moses, David and John above were cousins. 

David McConnell is my direct ancestor - Davids farm is traceable in my family right up to the late 1920s when my grandmother sold up and moved into Newry. 

from info on Griffiths valuation Moses'  lands pass to a David (not the same David as in my direct line) in the 1880s and then to an Alexander in 1909

I've also found out that the Moses who held the lands in at the 1864 valuation had the following children - Isabella (who married Davidson), David, Moses and Jane (possilby marries Proctor)

I've drawn a blank after this - does any of this fit with your family history?

There are also Moses McConnells listed in the 1800s in Donegal and in Tyrone but they are no connection of mine

regards

Offline INNIS

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 October 14 20:26 BST (UK) »
Hi   My great grandfather was a Moses Mcconnell   from Killea  Newtoncunningham in Donegal  he married  Martha Mcnair   or Macanair   1840 s  1850 s   roughly   ..i got this information  on the Church of Latterday Saints  website  .although it didnt give their marriage date etc   of which I cannot find at all .. This website stated that their son John was born  in 1865 stating they were the parents .. They alaso had a daughter Jane  born before John  i cant get any trace of her birth either  .. But  Jane Mcconnell  married  James Watt from Fahan in Donegal  in 1882  They had a son James  ..they then moved to Scotland  ..they were my great grandparents .........I have hit a brick wall with lots of my research  on my mothers irish side  ...as previous members have said there is a few Moses Mcconnells  mentioned  from Ireland  ..if anyone recognises  anything iv written please let me know  many thanks  ..INNIS  ... Ps  great website  ..

Moderator comment: edited for content. Please avoid using capitals as it looks like you're shouting. New members are encouraged to take a moment to read our guidelines for posting

http://www.rootschat.com/help/posting_guide.php

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 October 14 15:34 BST (UK) »
Civil registration of Catholic marriages began in 1864 (along with births & deaths) and non-Catholic marriages from 1845. For earlier dates you need to see if church records survive.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!