Author Topic: Cossar family from Lasswade/Borthwick  (Read 8490 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Cossar family from Lasswade/Borthwick
« Reply #18 on: Monday 13 January 14 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Just curious...why would someone have connected Archibald to a potential sibling Isabella here http://i-83-67-41-189.freedom2surf.net/fam08122.htm  No parents' details. Might be worth looking at in case in provides anything new?

I can only see one child for them, in Temple 1810 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTTJ-TRJ

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sandir03

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 14 January 14 00:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,
            Yes, I also saw that link for Archibald and "sister" Isabella.

I must admit, I did search for a connection to husband Thomas Collin (Collan / Collins / Colen / Colbin) and found the following links -

1. Marriage to an Isabella Cosser  - Event Date: 08 Jun 1803,  Borthwick, Midlothian, Scotland 
            https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XT1J-TM5
2. Three children with Isabella -
     a. Janet Colen  - Birth Date: 19 Oct 1804  - https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTTF-QLM
     b. John Colbin  - Birth Date: 12 Aug 1806 - https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTTX-BFQ
     c. George Collan - Birth Date: 22 May 1810 - https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTTJ-TRK

I did a bit more digging around and the only Isabella I could find that would fit the date ranges and the naming conventions for her children was an Isabel Cosser born 20/07/1794 in Greenlaw, Berwick to George Cosser and Jean Watherstone  (Waterstone??). 

What do you think?

Regards,
       Sandi

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 14 January 14 09:24 GMT (UK) »
I would certainly leave Isabella as a possible sister in pencil for now.... ::) You have some of her details now, if you are ever to find further info that can help you further.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 17 January 14 23:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi sandi, Sorry for the delay as I have been busy doing other work.

Erected in memory of Archibald Cossar who died at Carrington 31st
December 1808 aged 49 years, also Jean Cossar his Daughter who
died 2nd April 1805.
                ( Damaged Stone Outside East Window of the Church )

In the old burial book there are two entries a Mrs Cossar and a Robert Cossar sadly no dates, they are either in the Lair or just own it but it is number 94 in the old plan and 63 in my new plan and they share it with an Agnes Falconer perhaps a relation. 

Henrietta Cossar born14 Dec 1798 - John Cossar born 2 July 1801 - Robert Cossar born 25 Sept 1803 - at Temple parents Archibald Cossar and Henrietta Johnson.

There are loads of Cossar names in Temple which one exactly are you after ?.

Please see photo attached, this was quite readable in 2006 but the rain we get seems to wear them away quicker, I remember this stone and it is a crime it has gone like this.

Regards.

Archie.

Offline sandir03

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 18 January 14 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Archie,
        Many thanks for all the Cossar information you have posted....much appreciated.

Currently I'm trying to track down and build information about Archibald Cossar, his wife Henrietta Johnston and their children. Also information on Archibald's and Henrietta's families.

I had no information on Archibalds birth year but your information says he was 49 yrs when he died so this gives me something to go on as now I know roughly when he was born. I have no information on his parents as yet nor any siblings.

The Mrs Cossar referred to could be Henrietta and the name Robert is the name of their youngest son.

I have no idea who Agnes Falconer is.

I may have further questions later on about the other Cossars buried in Temple

All helpful information. Thanks very much.

Regards,
         Sandi

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 18 January 14 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandi,

Hendreta Johnston christening 30 August 1767 at TEMPLE - Robert Hepburn Johnston christening 16 Jun 1764 - Andrew Johnstone christening 8 September 1765 TEMPLE - John Johnston christening 4 April 1771 TEMPLE - Father John Johnston Mother Ann Amos.

As for Mr. Hepburn I have this regarding Clerkington.

Mr Robert Hepburn, who bought the estate in 1749, named it ‘Clarkington’ again, but in 1821 it was bought by the fourth Earl of Rosebery, a descendant of Sir Archibald Primrose, and became Rosebery once more. The original Clerkington House disappeared in 1812 when a new mansion was built on the site by the Hepburn family. Much modified in the late 19th century, this is known today as Rosebery House.

Regards.

Archie.

Offline sandir03

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 19 January 14 02:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Archie,
         Just a question about headstones and burials.

You mentioned headstones have multiple names. Does this mean that there are multiple bodies buried there. i.e. all the peoples names mentioned on the headstone are all buried in the same plot?  Or are only some buried in the plot and the additional names are just a memorial to them?

Thanks one again for the info.

Trying to figure out where the Robert Hepburn name fitted in as John Johnston and Ann Amos had a son called Robert Hepburn Johnston born June 1764.

It's also interesting what you mentioned about a Mr Robert Hepburn buying the estate in 1749, etc. I have info on Archibald Cossar being a Gentlemans servant to Mr Hepburn at Middleton, when he married Henrietta Johnston in Oct 1790.

I have Ann Amos' parents as Alexander Amos (Allexander Amoss / Amess / Ames) and  Euphan Buchanan (Eupham / Elspeth?). They appear to have had 5 children - Abraham, Alexander, Patrick, James and Ann

Still searching for any info on John Johnston, his family and his marriage to Ann Amos.

Regards,
         Sandi

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 19 January 14 15:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandi,

I spoke to Funeral Director who told me that many old burial Plots had up to 10 people in them the last being about 3 feet from the top, this all changed when reports of foul smells coming from Plots. I don't know when the Law was brought out but it was as you know the last body is 6 feet from the top so reducing any smells that will occur when the body starts to waste.

Robert Hepburn was a Commissioner of Customs in Scotland, he is referred to as being in Clerkington.

REPORT:

At Middleton near Edinburgh Robert Hepburn esq of Clerkington was found dead at his apartment in the City road having shot himself in the head by a Pistol, he seemed to be lower in spitits but had breakfast and had his hair dressed, he seemed to be ready to go about his usual business when a 9.00 o'clock the family heard the shot. This was around 1798, they do not know why he had done it.

He had a son called Archibald but his name is down as ( Archibald Hepburn Mitchelson ) and owned Middleton Hall perhaps some experts can explain why his name is different, but in a court case he states his father was Robert Hepburn of Clerkington.

Middleton House was up for sale around 5 years ago for 8 million pounds but went for 4 million instead.

Lord Roseberry was the next one to take over the Lands at Clerkington and one of the Roseberry's is still there today.

What makes you think that Archibald Cossar was born at Lasswade ?.

Regards.

Archie.

Offline sandir03

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 12 March 14 05:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
 Trying to find further information on the Cossar/Cosser family.

I have from Scotlands People the following info on a William Cossar –

1894 Deaths in the Parish of Lasswade in the County of Edinburgh. – entry no. 75

William Cossar (Coal Miner) married to a Jessie Smith (Janet?) died 21st May 1894 @ 10 am at
9 Louisa Row, Rosewell, Lasswade. He was 69 years old (born abt. 1825) and died from Asthmatic Bronchitis – 10 years.
His parents are listed as William Cossar (Farmer) deceased and Elizabeth Cossar MS Logan deceased.

Son John Cossar was witness.

Would appreciate any help with parents William and Elizabeth’s origins and information on any of their children as I can’t seem to find any information.

Many thanks in advance.

Sandi