Author Topic: Family Trees.  (Read 1860 times)

Offline reflector

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Family Trees.
« on: Saturday 26 July 14 19:08 BST (UK) »
Why do people not check what they have on their trees, l am trying to breakdown some brickwalls and when l put my ancestors name in a tree came up and l thought l would check it out and unless my ancestor was popping across the pond every couple of years to one wife and having more children and then popping back to have children in uk he even names his son in US in 1877 the same as the son in UK in 1887 , found other errors as well he has even put my ancestors wife and children in UK on tree but it dosnt make sence, then l thought maybe the children are not his in US but second wifes but there is a baptims in 1877 with him on register. Had my rant feel better now but it is a warning never use other peoples trees unless certain l would rather leave my research unfinished.

Sandra
Travi
Clark London/Hertfordshire
Dilley London
Trout Devon
Wickert london/Germany
Rowe Devon/London

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Family Trees.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 July 14 19:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra

You will see on many threads that we strongly advise people to check out all info they find on other family trees

Unfortunately - some researchers are careless and just "claim" people who appear to "fit" the profile they are looking for without obtaining BMD certs to verify the info.  This can, and does, cause a great deal of confusion and additional work for others - plus expense incurred in obtaining wrong certs

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 July 14 21:16 BST (UK) »
If the tree is on Ancestry, just beware of a little bug they have!

If people put a person in a tree, but do NOT put their country of birth, sometimes Ancestry defaults to the US equivalent! ::)

For example, Suffolk in Virginia. Or Somerset in Kentucky. Or Essex in Connecticut.
The list goes on and on!!

So, the tree owner may NOT have put USA on the record, but it just appears that way! ;D ::) :-\
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline rusted

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 July 14 00:22 BST (UK) »
I have a swag of people on St Helena Island at around the time Napoleon was imprisoned there, it really annoys me seeing the trees with all these people on St Helena Island in the USA. The truth is just so much more interesting.
Scott Richards Collas Williams

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 July 14 12:48 BST (UK) »
Sadly the set up on Ancestry allows you to have as many trees as you want.

Many researchers will have a 'real' Private tree which they have researched meticulously.  Then a slew of Public trees for different branches of the family, on which they add all the Ancestry 'hints', so research done just a load of info added, some may re-visit these trees and move data about.

Due to people have what I call a 'hint' tree I have found some really odd things.  One poor soul died so many times it was quite funny.  The owner had obviously added every death found in that name!

However, there are some very good Public Trees on there.  I would say that in general if the tree owner is in the US, these poor people are so anxious to find their English roots, they will add all and sundry on with gay abandon.  Their excuse is that it is so hard to research in the UK if you are not living there!

But we in the UK are far more likely to have done some research.

I know I have a tree on Ancestry and I can assure you that I have researched it, spend a fortune on BMDs and research in libraries all over the country.  It is Private, but if anyone can prove they are connected I am more than happy to allow them access.  Many have failed my exacting standards!   ;D ;) ;D
Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)

Offline reflector

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 July 14 13:39 BST (UK) »
Even if it is not the US the mistakes are to obvious to be put on a tree, but hey dont like things made easy in this game do we.
Back to trying to see what did happen to the family.
Thankyou
Sandra
Travi
Clark London/Hertfordshire
Dilley London
Trout Devon
Wickert london/Germany
Rowe Devon/London

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 July 14 14:06 BST (UK) »

I still have an old tree, very much out of date, on GR.  I had two requests recently for "can I see your tree". I asked for more information on how they think they are connected and so far have not had a reply from either; genuine requests or name collectors? Guess I'll never know :-\

Suey
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 July 14 17:52 BST (UK) »
I'd also really like it, if you do, as I do from time to time (When I get really desperate) start snooping around on public trees in Ancestry, if it WASN'T all American ones offered up, when on your character you're hunting for half a clue about, you KNOW they never sailed over the pond. A huge pity there isn't a "Not...." box to tick when you search. I'd spend a lot of time ticking "Not USA".
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline rusted

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 28 July 14 22:35 BST (UK) »
Quote-----A huge pity there isn't a "Not...." box to tick when you search. I'd spend a lot of time ticking "Not USA".

There actually is, Just go into edit search and set collection to whichever country you wish to search in, if you set it to Scotland thats the results you will mainly get. You may get a few English and Irish records but not too many US ones at all.
Once you get used to ancestry's search its can be a powerful tool, it gives you easy access to some very good records, Its how the individual uses them that can be a problem.
Scott Richards Collas Williams