Author Topic: Crantock Parish Registers - GEORGE  (Read 2019 times)

Offline Goldberry

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Crantock Parish Registers - GEORGE
« on: Monday 24 June 13 06:27 BST (UK) »
I have a Prudence Rosewall who married Bennet George on 9 Dec 1830, Cubert, Cornwall.

Bennet George was buried in Cubert on 1 Mar 1858, age 55 (so born circa 1803?) http://cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/more-info/?t=burials&id=1541427

According to the 1851 Census (Freecen, so unable to provide a link) he was born in Kenwyn c 1802, but I'm unable to find a baptism for him.  I found mention of a baptism of a Bennet George in Crantock 1802, but I can't see this date in the viewable parish registers on FSO, so I don't know who the parents were.

There were a couple of George families (at least) in Kenwyn - those of Abraham and Martin, but there is no record of a baptism on COPC or FSO for a Bennet (which appears to be a family name originating from the marriage of Martin George to Elizabeth Bennet in 1726, St Merryn). I've even read through the pages of the original Kenwyn parish register on FSO to no avail.

The families seem to move around a lot (especially Bennet and Prudence, according to the censuses), so there's a possibility that Bennet might have been baptised in Crantock, even if he was brought up in Kenwyn.

I'm eager to try to find his lineage, as it might well help to solve a brick wall problem that I'm currently struggling with.

I'd be grateful for any help. Thanks.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Crantock Parish Registers - GEORGE
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 June 13 07:38 BST (UK) »
From the 1851 census (just so everyone can see!):
Class: HO107; Piece: 1905; Folio: 502; Page: 13
Treveal, Cubert, Cornwall

George, Bennett  Head  M  50  Ag Lab  Kenwyn, Cornwall
George, Prudance  Wife  F  46  b Ludgvan
George, James  Son  M  18  Lead Miner  b Cubert
George, Ann  Daughter  F  17  Lead Miner  b Cubert
George, William  Son  M  14  Lead Miner  b St Erth
George, Bennet  Son  M  12  Lead Miner  b Crowan
George, Elizabeth  Daughter  F  11  Scholar  b Cubert
George, Martin  Son  M  6  Scholar  b St Agnes
George, Eliza  Daughter  F  4  b St Agnes
George, Mary  Daughter  F  3  b Cubert

There is this marriage from Cornwall OPC?
18th June 1805  at Redruth
Bennett George  to  Mary Williams

The marriage of Bennet & Prudence:
9th December 1830  at  Cubert
Bennet George, widower, husbandman, of Cubert
Rosewall, Prudence, spinster, of Cubert

And a previous marriage?
6th March 1826  at Cubert
Bennet George, of St Mary's in Truro
Jane Cornish, spinster

Witnesses: John George & Ann Cornish
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 June 13 08:28 BST (UK) »
There were a couple of George families (at least) in Kenwyn - those of Abraham and Martin, but there is no record of a baptism on COPC or FSO for a Bennet (which appears to be a family name originating from the marriage of Martin George to Elizabeth Bennet in 1726, St Merryn).

A search of baptisms, from 1800 to 1810, of a Bennet turns up 44 hits! ;D

So it seems to be a fairly common Cornish forename?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Goldberry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 June 13 08:53 BST (UK) »
Yes, I've often come across children having the same middle name as the mother's family surname, and I once got involved in a Bennett family where patriarchal naming conventions were applied.

I've also come across patriarchal naming conventions when researching the Welsh side of my family.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 June 13 12:07 BST (UK) »
Name may have originated earlier than this;
(which appears to be a family name originating from the marriage of Martin George to Elizabeth Bennet in 1726, St Merryn). 

FreeREG has a Bennet GEORGE Marrying Amy WILLIAMS, 04 March 1716/17 St Colan, Colan, Cornwall
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 June 13 12:20 BST (UK) »
Between 1700 and 1730, there are 62 baptisms of a Bennet(t).
Between 1650 and 1700, another 43.
Between 1600 and 1650 another 31.
Between 1500 and 1600, there are another 22.

Earliest baptism is 1552 at St Neot, Bennet Piper.

So the name is much, much older, and probably just a Cornish Forename! ;D

Offline Goldberry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 June 13 12:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the info on the christian name.  It certainly would explain why the name is spelled with a single 't'. 

However, unfortunately that in itself doesn't really help me in my quest.  I really need to find out who his parents were if anybody can help.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 June 13 13:44 BST (UK) »
Cant help I'm sorry.

I did notice this though on FreeREG;
Marriage;
1838 St Carantoc, Crantock, Cornwall
William CORNISH, Bachelor of Cubert Parish
Emma GEORGE, Spinster

Will have a look around as Emma may be a Sister?

EDIT cant findthem to confirm her POB or DOB ::)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 24 June 13 16:48 BST (UK) »
There is always the possibility that the parents weren't married ... George could have been the mother's surname, or could be a stepfather's surname or Bennett's real father's surname that he adopted although not baptised by that name ...

Just as a for instance: there is a Ralph Clements + Ann George marriage in Kenwyn in 1803 (John George as witness). It would seem that Ralph was born 1786 in Gwinear and died 1866 in Gwennap. There are no baptisms to the couple at the OPC site. I can't find Ralph in a single census (at Ancestry or FS). Ann could have had a child pre-marriage, or the couple could have promptly split and Ann had a child with another partner. Just as a for instance, I stress. ;)

The Emma that Trish pointed to - good idea - seems to be Emma George, daughter of Richard and Mary Ann, baptised 1816 Crantock:
http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/more-info/?t=baptisms&id=1947157
The earliest baptism for them is in Crantock 1814, with baptisms up to 1829.
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?