Author Topic: need your help to find more information  (Read 3608 times)

Offline Wendl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Shaking the Irish Family Tree from Canada
    • View Profile
need your help to find more information
« on: Wednesday 20 July 05 21:32 BST (UK) »
Hello again,

Trying to find more information on a William W. Moffatt b 11 Apr ?? and a Robina Moffat b. 02 Nov ??, according to the signing of the Ulster Covenant in 1912 they were at Milford, Armagh.  However, appears they moved to Bangor at some point.  Have a letter written Sunday Jun 8th 1947, was written at 6 Primrose Ave, Bangor Cnty Down.  The body of the letter outlines various Irish Moffatts(various spellings) and where they emigrated to.  As well there is an indication, that William and Robina had an Uncle by the name of Samuel Wallace who died in Canada 13 Oct 1895.  there is also conversation about a Mrs. Gray of Armagh corresponding with a Mable McEhern who was a granddaughter of Samuel Wallace.  Is anyone familiar with any of this information? families? Would love to hear your insight.....

Thanking you in Advance
Wendy 
Barrie/Barry-Forfar
Broun/Brown-Kirriemuir, Forfar, Angus
Carr-Belfast
Close -Belfast, Antrim and Down, Mageraghall; Ontario, Canada 
Crowe- Belfast
Gardiner/Gardner-Belfast, Scotland
Hennion- USA
Hedley- Belfast
Lawlor-Belfast, Down: Ontario, Canada
McPherson-Esquising, Ontario
McKernan-Australia
Ramsay-Kirriemuir,Scotland
Thompson-Derry; Ontario-Canada
Walker- Kirriemuir,Forfar,Dundee Scotland
Wilkinson-Belfast

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: need your help to find more information
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 September 06 00:57 BST (UK) »
Hiya Wendy,

I have just looked at my 1970/71 "Spectator" Bangor Directory. Two Moffatts are shown.

Moffatt, John T. "St Margarets" Ballymacormick Road. This road was off the Groomsport Road.
Moffatt, Robina, 6, Primrose Avenue. Primrose Avenue ran off Central Avenue to Gray's Hill. 

I'd say Robina was born in the late 1880s or early 1890s. Her death notice or obituary may well give more information. I wonder if she lived to be 100. That would give a better chance of finding a little more detail.

Offline Wendl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 September 06 15:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Christopher...

Thanks so much for the information....I'll have to get a friend to check the obituaries for me....with regards to Robina....I assumed she was born in the late 1800s....and I believe that James aka Jimmie Moffatt would be her brother.  Jimmie was a foreman at one of the Linen Mill's in Belfast prior to coming to Canada.  I hav'nt been able to locate which one as of yet.... Once again thank you for taking the time to respond...your information is of great help.

All the Best
Wendy
Barrie/Barry-Forfar
Carr-Belfast
Crowe- Belfast
Hennion- USA
Hedley- Belfast
McKernan-Australia
Wilkinson-Belfast

Offline KatC

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 September 07 23:59 BST (UK) »
Possible parents for your Jimmy are Robert Moffett and Agnes Heaney who had James Moffett         
8 MAY 1873.  May 8th matches with your Jimmy's birth date, though you had 1875. 

However, I have been transcribing some 1901 census records and found quite a few people people omitted  the horizontal bar at the top of the '5'    It took me a while to realize that the '5' was not a '3' which is what the bar-less '5' looked like.  I don't know if the transcriber of the above information misread the form or if the original records were in yearly order so an error would have been impossible. 

Robert George Moffatt b. 1879 to Robert and Agnes Haning at Ennislare,, Armagh might another son of  Agnes Heany and Robert.   I would gather the handwriting is poor on the forms.

Offline Wendl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 September 07 00:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Kat,

Yes indeed Robert and Agnes are the Parents of our Jimmie, and your right, since the original posting we have found that Jimmie was b. 8 May 1873 in Market hill, Armagh....His father was a Postman, as well Jimmie was named after his paternal Grandfather....Believe the Robert you speak of may be related as well, have a cousin in Belfast who had sent me similar info.

Im anxious to sort William W. as we have a letter that was written by him the 1940's, that outlines some of the Moffatt genealogy is quite an intersting read.

I sincerely thankyou for taking the time to respond to my query and offer your insight, all the little bits help to fit the  pieces into this big puzzle called my family genealogy.

Cheers...
Wendy
Barrie/Barry-Forfar
Carr-Belfast
Crowe- Belfast
Hennion- USA
Hedley- Belfast
McKernan-Australia
Wilkinson-Belfast

Offline Jane Gray

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 April 14 19:31 BST (UK) »
hello Wendi, i have just come across this 7 years later. WW Moffat was my great grandfather and Robina my great Aunt. William was the Manager of a Linen mill and the family lived in Ivy Lodge near Lurgan NI. Jimmie is not a brother, I have no idea who he is. Robina had 2 sisters Henrietta my Grandmother and Jane my great Aunt who was the matron of Baltimore hospital. William and my unmarried great aunt retired to Bangor where they both died, Robina in the early 1980s. I have access to the family bible and happy to find out more if you wish. Jane Gray Edinburgh

Offline plumpyone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 07 April 14 14:11 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I believe we may have a common ancestor - William Moffett of Collone, Co Armagh.  As far as I've found out William had at least two sons, Thomas and James.  Thomas 1794-1872 was my great-great grandfather and his brother James was the father of the Robert mentioned in these posts. James married a Jane Wallace and they had at least five children, including Robert born 1845.

Let me know if you need more info

Offline plumpyone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 07 April 14 17:35 BST (UK) »
Meant to add - you'll find some info here (a family tree compiled by another branch of the family) http://jamesreaney.co.uk/moffett.htm

I dont really have much more info about the Moffetts, (I have plenty about the Fultons), but would love to hear what you know