Author Topic: Rogers Family  (Read 15514 times)

Offline supermiffy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rogers Family
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 16:37 GMT (UK) »
HI Sean,

Thanks. I think that the Rogers might have moved to Dun Laoghaire by the time this was recorded. I have found some in the census but they don't seem to be the same class which although is entirely possible, seem a little unusual.

I hope that didn't seem classist... just trying to put the most obvious picture  together.

INcidentally. Here is a photo of my grandfatehr Brendan Rogers... the tird I have tracked down so far.author=seanmac link=topic=428060.msg2930439#msg2930439 date=1262618273]
(by kind permission of Noel Farrell)

1901 Navan Town Roots(taken fron 1901 census)

Alexander Reid (25)
Rogers Bridgetm Maggie.

Barrack lane (1)
Rogers Michael & Mary; Margarite, Bernard, Joseph, May. Bridie, Lilian, Christopher, Michael.

Bridget st (25)
Rogers Michael, Bernard, Margaret, Josephine.

Fair Green (9)
Rogers Pat & Mary; Michael, Henery, Annie, Mary.

There are no Rogers mentioned in Thom's 1938 Directory of Navan Town.

Electors List 1937/37 Navan Town;
Athlumney;
Rogers Bernard, Mary.

Barrack lane;
Rogers Mary, Michael, Patrick.

Blackcastle Demesne;
Rogers Margaret.

Cannon row;
Rogers Christopher, Mary.

Emmet tce;
Rogers Bridget, Henry, Joseph, Mary, Matthew.

Liscarton;
Rogers Mary, Michael, Josephine.

Poolbot st;
Rogers Annie, Michael.

St Patricks tce;
Rogers Hilda, Margaret, Mary.

Pubs in Navan; (1892)
Rogers Michael, Trimgate st (Lord Russell)

Offline supermiffy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 16:45 GMT (UK) »
 Ah, I think you are right, I do recall a church acss from the Shopping Mall around the corner from Eblana Hall.

Brendan also was the organist at
St. Mary's R.C. Cathedral, Dublin in  1882... is that still standing?
Thanks shane,  I really appreciate your help.  I didn't know that Brendan Seniors name was John.

The dates fit with the length of marriage (43 years ) at the time of the 1911 census. His wife is listed at Catherine on the census but i think  Kate will do nicely.

I never had a maiden name for Catherine before either. Will do some research on the Glynns/

I am planning to pop over from Scotland in the summer, basing ourselves near Navan so I would love to have a look around to see if I can find any traces  of the family.

They were Roman Catholic but i do think they left the Navan region completely for Dun Laoghaire.

This Brendan was also the resident organist at St Mary's Pro Catherdral in Dublin. Do you think  he have been buried in their graveyard or somewhere closer to Dun Laoghaire. I thin k the Church that was nearest Eblana Halls is now a shopping mall.

the old RC (St Michael's) church burned down in 1968 but was replaced - see : St Michael's - Irish-Architecture.com   As far as I remember the church is very close to Eblana Ave - the shopping centre is across the road (Marine Rd).

Shane

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 17:26 GMT (UK) »

St. Mary's (Pro-Cathedral) Marlboro St  is still there ... my gg-grandparents were married there in 1877

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline supermiffy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 17:42 GMT (UK) »
 I wonder if he was the organist that played for them. Incidentally. I was contacted a few years ago by Keirna Anthony Daly  I think he was from UCD and he was doing research on my grandfather  to include him in it. The book can be seen here..

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Catholic-Church-Music-in-Ireland-1878-1903/Kieran-Anthony-Daly/e/9781851822041

St. Mary's (Pro-Cathedral) Marlboro St  is still there ... my gg-grandparents were married there in 1877

Shane

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 18:31 GMT (UK) »
..Brendan was also the resident organist at St Mary's Pro Catherdral in Dublin. Do you think  he have been buried in their graveyard or somewhere closer to Dun Laoghaire....

I found an article on his funeral in the Irish Times dated 28th November 28, 1932 (Mon)

Funeral was in St. Michael's, Dun Laoghaire, he was buried in Glasnevin... I'll post the rest of the details later..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline supermiffy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 23:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Shane, I appreciate that!

..Brendan was also the resident organist at St Mary's Pro Catherdral in Dublin. Do you think  he have been buried in their graveyard or somewhere closer to Dun Laoghaire....

I found an article on his funeral in the Irish Times dated 28th November 28, 1932 (Mon)

Funeral was in St. Michael's, Dun Laoghaire, he was buried in Glasnevin... I'll post the rest of the details later..

Shane

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 06 January 10 08:41 GMT (UK) »
further details...

Date  : 28th November 28, 1932 (Mon)
Headline : Funeral of Mr. Brendan Rogers

Following Requiem High Mass at St. Michaels', Dun Laoghaire, on Saturday, the funeral of the late Mr. Brendan J. Rogers. for over thirty years organist to the Pro-Cathedral, Dublin, took place to Glasnevin Cemetary.  Archdeacon Murphy, P.P. was the celebrant. (others mentioned Rev. M.V. Ronan, Rev. W. McDonald, Rev. L. Potter)

In the Choir were : Very Rev E.J. McGough (PP Dalkey),  Rev L. Sheehan (Adm Pro-Cathedral), Rev. J. McArdle (Pro-Cathedral), Rev. J. Fitzgibbon, Rev. M. Clarke, Rev. W. Laffan, Rev. M. Grant (Dun Laoghaire)

The chief mourners were :- Miss T. Rogers (dau), Sean, Frank and Flying Officer. J. Rogers RAF (grandsons); the Misses R[?]. and I. Rogers and Mrs. M. Carroll (grand-daughters);  Mrs. N. Rogers (dau-in-law), J. & R. Glynn (nephews) Misses I. S. F. Kelly, Mr. & Mrs A. Kelly, Miss R. Kelly, Miss Lacy,
Miss Nolan (cousins)

also mentioned is the Very Rev. Canon McMahon, Holy Cross College Clonliffe - did he attend the college at some stage ?

I'll pm you a link to a scan of the full article..

I also found an article on the death of another Brendan J. Rogers in 1919.. son of Brendan snr - see : http://www.jstor.org/pss/3701601

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline supermiffy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 02 November 13 20:42 GMT (UK) »
I visited Glasnevin and he is right beside the important circle where the notables are buried at the entrance near the main building however his grave was unmarked. I nearly cried!

further details...

Date  : 28th November 28, 1932 (Mon)
Headline : Funeral of Mr. Brendan Rogers

Following Requiem High Mass at St. Michaels', Dun Laoghaire, on Saturday, the funeral of the late Mr. Brendan J. Rogers. for over thirty years organist to the Pro-Cathedral, Dublin, took place to Glasnevin Cemetary.  Archdeacon Murphy, P.P. was the celebrant. (others mentioned Rev. M.V. Ronan, Rev. W. McDonald, Rev. L. Potter)

In the Choir were : Very Rev E.J. McGough (PP Dalkey),  Rev L. Sheehan (Adm Pro-Cathedral), Rev. J. McArdle (Pro-Cathedral), Rev. J. Fitzgibbon, Rev. M. Clarke, Rev. W. Laffan, Rev. M. Grant (Dun Laoghaire)

The chief mourners were :- Miss T. Rogers (dau), Sean, Frank and Flying Officer. J. Rogers RAF (grandsons); the Misses R[?]. and I. Rogers and Mrs. M. Carroll (grand-daughters);  Mrs. N. Rogers (dau-in-law), J. & R. Glynn (nephews) Misses I. S. F. Kelly, Mr. & Mrs A. Kelly, Miss R. Kelly, Miss Lacy,
Miss Nolan (cousins)

also mentioned is the Very Rev. Canon McMahon, Holy Cross College Clonliffe - did he attend the college at some stage ?

I'll pm you a link to a scan of the full article..

I also found an article on the death of another Brendan J. Rogers in 1919.. son of Brendan snr - see : http://www.jstor.org/pss/3701601

Shane