Author Topic: 1865 New York State Census  (Read 4080 times)

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
1865 New York State Census
« on: Saturday 24 May 14 15:29 BST (UK) »
Although the 1865 New York State Census images are unindexed, the information provided by FamilySearch says, "To search the collection by name fill in your ancestor’s name in the initial search page. This search will return a list of possible matches."  Is it really possible to search that census in this way?  I have tried a number of people who I know were living in Brooklyn at that time but no results are ever listed for 1865.  Is there any other sort of simple way to locate people on this census?
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Re: 1865 New York State Census
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 May 14 01:28 BST (UK) »
To answer my own question, you cannot search the 1865 NY census as described by FamilySearch; it doesn't work.  And I haven't found any shortcuts.  Consequently, I have been going through it page by page.  This wouldn't be too bad if you have people in a small town.  Unfortunately, I am searching for people in Brooklyn.  After looking at 504 pages [3 wards], I have found two of the six families I am looking for.  Still a long way to go.

BUT ....  it is worth it.  This is truly a fantastic census.  In addition to the usual population data, it includes data on housing, deaths and marriages, and specific data on all current and former military personnel.  Also data on handicapped persons [deaf, blind, insane, etc].  Also data on farms, livestock, industry, businesses, churches, newspapers, stores, and bars.  Also general economic conditions and other miscellaneous notes [some amusing].  In short, a very highly recommended census.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 May 14 12:47 BST (UK) »
I suspected that those instructions were just copied from a page about another census. 

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 May 14 01:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Erato:

Silly question, but I guess this particular census is not on one of the popular pay sites?  If not, is there any other way that we can try to help you?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 May 14 02:13 BST (UK) »
I don't know if it's on any of the 'popular pay sites.'  If it is, I could mention some names.  Otherwise, I could assign you a couple of wards to look through [just kidding].

If they ever do index it at FamilySearch, Brooklyn Ward 1 is going to be a nightmare.  The census taker must have been only barely literate and his handwriting was incredibly bad.  He always recorded the O'Briens as O'Brine and there are hundreds of them.  And there thousands of other obvious misspellings.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 May 14 02:33 BST (UK) »
I just tried to send a message; it didn't work.

My son just dropped in.  I have to go.

Please feel free to give us names.
--------------------
I'm back.  I would normally enjoy looking through a ward for the names (I enjoy the hunt and getting results),  ;D  but we are busy with family things right now.

If you would like to share details, maybe we'll be lucky and find something?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 30 May 14 03:55 BST (UK) »
The names I am looking for are:

1.  Jane Richmond [widow, born abt 1814 in Scotland] and her children William H. [abt 1842], Ellen C. [1846] and Marion C. [1849].  All children  born in Brooklyn, NY.

2.  Matthew T. Boyd [abt 1836 in NY] and his wife Mary Jane [abt 1838 in Brooklyn] and their son Richmond K. Boyd [1862 in Brooklyn].

3.  Valentine Boyd [aka James V. Boyd, abt 1812 in Ireland] and his wife Ellen [abt 1813 in Ireland] and their children William James [abt 1839], John [abt 1841], Charles H. [1843], Thomas J. [abt 1847] and Sarah [abt 1850].  All children born in Brooklyn but I'm not sure all of them were still living.

4.  Francis F. Braillard [abt 1846 in Switzerland]

With the exception of some of the Boyd children,  I'm sure all of these people were alive in 1865 and living in Brooklyn.  If you find one, what I'd like is the ward and page numbers, then I can download the image from FamilySearch.  I have already searched wards 1, 7, 8, and most of ward 4.  I chose them because I thought they were the most likely ones.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 30 May 14 04:06 BST (UK) »
Ok, I'll have a look around.  Hopefully we'll get some results.   :)  Thank you for posting all of the details

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 30 May 14 04:19 BST (UK) »
I don't see an 1865 New York census.  You have the families on the 1860 and 1870 census, correct?