Author Topic: McMichan(McMeekan)-Dickson of Carlaverock, Dumfries  (Read 6687 times)

Offline ruthamy05

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
McMichan(McMeekan)-Dickson of Carlaverock, Dumfries
« on: Sunday 25 February 07 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Need information on the family of John McMichan b1784 Carlaverock, married to Mary Dickson abt 1808...they had nine children that I know of.  Their daughter Jean/Jane had a daughter named Agnes (illigit) b Jan 16, 1839. On the baptism record written in the margin it says:  "Farish, the reputed father denies".......this child is listed on both the 1841 and 1851 census as Agnes Farish.  I would very much like to find out what happened to this daughter.

Jean/Jane McMichan is my great grandmother and I would like to find out about Agnes Farish to complete our family.

Related names in the McMichan family were Scott, Wright, Johnstone, Sturgeon, Crombie, Merrick.

Hope to hear from anyone with interest in this family.

Thanks,
Ruth, Pittsburgh PA

Offline fredthompson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Meikle Trochry, Little Dunkeld, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: McMichan(McMeekan)-Dickson of Carlaverock, Dumfries
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 April 11 01:26 BST (UK) »
hi ruth
i have Sturgeon in the family from dumfries
William Sturgeon died 19 Oct 1936 at 43 Brooms Rd Dumfries
wife Sarah nee McGauhie died 26 jan 1922 Dumfries
they had 2 daughters and one son that i know of Geane Sturgeon born 9 feb 1892 dumfries, died 29 dec 1942 Lake Cargellico, NSW, Australia (My grandmother on my mothers side) Married Frederick Charles Cairns (born 6 dec 1904 at "Highbank" Station, Lake Cargellico) on the 15 dec 1927 at "Northcote" Station, Hillston, NSW Australia.
Alice Nelson Sturgeon born 3 apr 1895 Dumfries Died 1978 Penrith, NSW Australia Married William Nicolson (born 1891 Shetland isles) 18 march 1926
son of William and Sarah,  James born abt 1902 this is all i know of him.
hope this helps
fred
McLeish, Cairns, Davis, Strang, Sturgeon, in the following areas of Scotland, fife, stirlingshire, Haddington, Also in Australia in New South Wales, Queensland and Victoria

Offline fredthompson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 April 11 01:36 BST (UK) »
hi ruth
more on the sturgeons
William Sturgeon in my last post was the son of Charles Sturgeon born 1838 Dumfries his wife was Mary Casey born Dumfries 1840.
Charles father was William Sturgeon born 1793 in Dumfries died 1862 Dumfries
unfortunately that is all i have on the sturgeon side of the tree
fred
McLeish, Cairns, Davis, Strang, Sturgeon, in the following areas of Scotland, fife, stirlingshire, Haddington, Also in Australia in New South Wales, Queensland and Victoria

Offline meowkat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Robbie Pew 1913-1944
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 June 11 18:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruth!

It's me Katrina. Agnes still remains a mystery to me too. I've been so busy over the last couple of years, that I haven't made any further discoveries on the family.

Fred,

I think your branch of the Sturgeons may be a differnent one. I've gone through all the Sturgeon records from Dumfriesshire and Kirkcudbright and there seems to be two distinct branches. One which originated in Dumfries, the other in Kirkcudbright, but which also ended up in Dumfries. There were these two distinct branches in the 1600's. Unfortunatley I can't find any older records. It's possible that the two branches were linked, but there is no hard evidence to say whether or not this is the case.

I've traced as many decendants as possible  of Adam Sturgeon (son of John) born in Dumfries about 1657 and those you have mentioned aren't in this tree. This makes me think your ancestors might come from the Kirkcudbright branch. 

In the summer I might have some free time and I'll see what I can come up with to help you with your tree as somewhere, I do have a list of all the Sturgeons who were baptised or married in both Dumfriesshire and Kirkcudbright since about 1630, as well as all the statutory records for Dumfries from about 1855-1900
Rutherford, McKune, Elliot, Pew, Anderson, Little, Sturgeon, Manuel, Weild, Rutterford, Atkinson, Kirkup, Bradley, McKay, McDole, Whelan, Coulthard, Nile, Baker, Jardine, Glover, Seeker, Cartmer, Thompson, Ricahrdson, Huggon, Falcon, Blain, Scott, Hewitt, Irwin, McChrystal, Millar, McMichan/McMeekan, McKinlay, McLachlan, Gillogy, King, Bryant, Dixon, McCauley, McDavid, Hastie, McLauchlin, Fitzpatrick, Moore, Shanks, Bell, Corrigan, Woods, Mulhall, (Del) Dykes, Allgood

Offline fredthompson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: sturgeons of Dumfries
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 June 11 00:06 BST (UK) »
hi Katrina
thanks for you feed back, well i'll just have to keep looking for my sturgeons.
i do have another clue geane sturgeon my grandmother was married in scotland to a Bertram or Bertrum Rance in dumfries around 1910

Offline Colin1959

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 October 12 16:03 BST (UK) »
hi ruth
i have Sturgeon in the family from dumfries
William Sturgeon died 19 Oct 1936 at 43 Brooms Rd Dumfries
wife Sarah nee McGauhie died 26 jan 1922 Dumfries
they had 2 daughters and one son that i know of Geane Sturgeon born 9 feb 1892 dumfries, died 29 dec 1942 Lake Cargellico, NSW, Australia (My grandmother on my mothers side) Married Frederick Charles Cairns (born 6 dec 1904 at "Highbank" Station, Lake Cargellico) on the 15 dec 1927 at "Northcote" Station, Hillston, NSW Australia.
Alice Nelson Sturgeon born 3 apr 1895 Dumfries Died 1978 Penrith, NSW Australia Married William Nicolson (born 1891 Shetland isles) 18 march 1926
son of William and Sarah,  James born abt 1902 this is all i know of him.
hope this helps
fred

Hi

I don't know if the following is of any use, but...

I am a great grandson of a William Sturgeon and Sarah Sturgeon (McGaughie). The 1911 census shows them residing at 39 Loreburn Street, Dumfries with 7 of their children. One of these is shown a 'Alice Sturgeon', age 16. Her occupation is listed as a glovemaker. My grandfather, David Sturgeon is also listed there. The census also lists William and Sarah as having 16 children who were born alive and 10 who were still alive at the time of the 1911 census.

Colin

Offline fredthompson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 October 12 22:45 BST (UK) »
hi colin
i too am a great grandson of William and Sarah
Alice Nelson Sturgeon is my grandmothers sister, her name is Geane (jean) Sturgeon, Alice married William Arthur J Nicolson in Melbourne Australia on the 18 Mar 1926, William was a Sailor on the SS Moreton, he was born on the Shetland islands on the 12 Feb 1889. i have not yet found when Alice or Geane came to Australia, but going by what you have told me it must be between 1911 and 1926. in 1936 she is living in the western suburbs of Sydney in New South Wales, Nana Geane had married before coming to Australia, a fellow named Bertram Rance at the aged of 16 and had a child to him in 1916 (27 July), Bertram William Rance, in the 1901 census she is aged 7.  After she came to australia she married my grandfather Frederick Charles Cairns. and had one child my mother Alice Cairns who was born in 1931 and then Geane died in 1942. i dont have any photos of Alice but her daughter is still alive as at 2010 i spoke to her over the phone as she still lives in Sydney and i live in Queensland, i do however have only one photo of Geane Sturgeon taken before 1931 in rural NSW. you can contact me direct email (*) if you do that then i can send you an invite to my Ancestry.com family tree so you will be able to see what i have on our relatives. i'm not sure what relations we are but some kind of distant cousins
look forward to your reply fred

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Sturgeon 1950

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 February 14 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi,  I have a lot of Sturgeon info from Dumfries and would welcome the opportunity to contact Fred Thompson in Australia.

Bill Sturgeon