Author Topic: John Anderson, crew member Clydesdale "left behind by mutual consent" July 1868  (Read 1111 times)

Offline helenjean

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
"My" John Anderson b. April 1846 has proved elusive in Scotland!  His father, also named John Anderson, was a Deep Sea Pilot in the Merchant Service in Glasgow, Scotland and John Jnr was his eldest son (my great grandfather, William, was John Jnr's youngest sibling). For some reason,  ??? John snr registered John jnr's birth by Sheriff's warrant in July 1866 (i.e. some 20 years after the event), so I wondered if it was to do with John Jnr's career, perhaps also in the Merchant Navy. I have found an AB John Anderson, crew member of the Clydesdale leaving Glasgow in May 1868 and arriving at Quebec on 4 July 1868, where he was "paid off", and "left behind by mutual consent". I realise John Anderson is a very common name, but I have drawn a blank in Scotland, and wondered how I might go about tracing this John Anderson's movements after arrival in Quebec. The (missing) John Anderson is the only one of my great grandfather's seven siblings that I haven't been able to trace after the Scots census of 1851. Any clues or leads would be much appreciated!  Thanks in advance  :)  Helen
Anderson, Wylie,(Glasgow Scotland) Gallagher and Weir, (Co. Donegal, Ireland to Glasgow, possibly also to Canada) McCormack, (Ireland to Scotland),  Leigh, (England to Australia) Thomas (England to New Zealand)  Hatfield and Hoare (England to Australia) Bacon (England to Australia) Parenti (Italy to Australia) da Silva (Azores to New Zealand)

Offline lorrainec

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Our sun worshipper!
    • View Profile
Re: John Anderson, crew member Clydesdale "left behind by mutual consent" July 1868
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 August 14 19:18 BST (UK) »
Don't know if this is your John Anderson ... but I found one, a seaman who deserted in Quebec in 1866.

Do you have access to ancestry?  It's in the Canada, Seafarers of the Atlantic Provinces 1789-1935

This is what it says:

Name:
John Anderson

Record Type:
Crew

Birth Year:
abt 1844

Birth Place:
Sweden

Vessel Name:
Elizabeth Cann

Vessel Type:
Barque

Voyage Departure Date:
31 Aug 1866

Voyage Departure Port:
Quebec, Canada

Voyage Arrival Date:
27 Oct 1866

Voyage Arrival Port:
Glasgow, Scotland

Vessel Registration Number:
Y857016

Vessel Registration Place:
Yarmouth, Nova Scotia

Year Vessel Constructed:

Date Joined Present Ship:
11 Sep 1866

Place Joined Present Ship:
Canada, Quebec

Crew Number:

Completed What Signed On To Do?:
No

Discharge Date:
11 Sep 1866

Discharge Place:
Canada

Discharge:
Deserted before sailing

Registry of Last Ship:
English

Company From Last Ship:

Capacity (Rank):
Able-bodied Seaman

Could be yours!
Lorraine
Clewes - Canada
Humphreys - Surrey, Grenada, Canada
Clark - Scotland

Offline helenjean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John Anderson, crew member Clydesdale "left behind by mutual consent" July 1868
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 August 14 21:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply Lorraine:

No, this one would not be "my" John Anderson - (his date and place of birth was 1846, Greenock Scotland) and he was definitely not a deserter although there was one deserter listed from the Clydesdale, (and he forfeited his pay) but John Anderson was left behind by mutual consent and paid off along with several others on the same voyage. This info was on Ancestry.

I will follow up on Canada's Seafarers of the Atlantic Provinces on Ancestry, now that I have somewhere to start.
Cheers ;)
Helen
Anderson, Wylie,(Glasgow Scotland) Gallagher and Weir, (Co. Donegal, Ireland to Glasgow, possibly also to Canada) McCormack, (Ireland to Scotland),  Leigh, (England to Australia) Thomas (England to New Zealand)  Hatfield and Hoare (England to Australia) Bacon (England to Australia) Parenti (Italy to Australia) da Silva (Azores to New Zealand)

Offline helenjean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 August 14 07:05 BST (UK) »
Hello again: I have discovered since posting that this is definitely NOT "my" John Anderson, so this topic, I guess, can be marked "completed".  Many thanks to Lorraine for you interest.  ;D Helen