Author Topic: World War 1 Medal Card Question  (Read 11676 times)

Offline forester

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: World War 1 Medal Card Question
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 31 January 12 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Wavey,

That's a lot to take in at this time of night. Ady can take the late shift  :)

At first glance and the way my searches went, there appears to be a continuity between the Inniskilling Fusiliers officer and the RSR one.

Like Ady, I can only find the one MIC on the NA, nothing, even with the barest of searches, for the MC. I can only assume that it is amongst those that have been lost over the years.

I'm more than happy to look at the medal index card etc and have PM'ed you.

Phil
Sussex: Satcher (Hamsey) and Gatton (East Grinstead)
Leicestershire: Pratt
South Wales: Evans (Neath)
Poland: Gonet, Deren

Forest Row: War Memorial and Camp WW1
Lewisham War Memorials & WW1 Graves

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 31 January 12 23:45 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the record for James Snr He doesnt even have a child James or Joseph listed on his family info.(page 3 of surviving record)

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline Paul Caswell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me in my natural state
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 01 February 12 00:14 GMT (UK) »
Interesing thread,

The Ordre de Leopold 1918 medal that you mention also doesn't seem to appear on the card at all - or I can't find it. This again makes us think that the medals card does not actually belong to either James senior or the man who later added Joseph to his name.

My grandfather's Medaille Militaire is not mentioned on his medal card. I suspect this applies to all "foreign" medals.

Paul
Caswell - Durham(Jarrow), Northumberland(Berwick), Dorset(Netherbury)
Drury - Middlesex(Kensington), Shropshire(Oswestry/Selattyn)
Turner - Dorset(Parkstone)
Speight - Essex(Braintree), Kent(Gravesend), Westmorland(Kendal)
Stockley - Dorset(Corfe Castle)
Amey - Suffolk(Haverhill)
Cousins - Norfolk(Ketteringham)
Sears - Bedfordshire(Potton), Cambridgeshire(Gamlingay)
Census information is Crown Copyright

Offline wavey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 01 February 12 07:04 GMT (UK) »
I am following every piece of information that you all put up on here for me and each piece helps - honestly! So grateful as I have been stuck now for 6 months or so whilst waiting for the MOD request for service records. Anything else that occurs to you would be fantastic as the military aspect is nearly all news to me! I will find this man whatever it takes - his daughter - my relative too - wants to know who her father was as his later life was shrouded in secrecy too. The man she knew as James Joseph (her dad) was certainly in Sussex in the 1930s and 40s as she and her siblings were all born there and she remembers a military man who was sometimes around - but not often in the 30s. A bigamous marriage we have recently discovered has ensured that no one would really talk about him and now, sadly, no one (adult) who knew him is still alive.

Offline Tyrannosaurus

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 01 February 12 13:08 GMT (UK) »
It sounds a bit like a case reported at length in The Irish Times, Dublin, 21 Feb 1934. Is it him and have you seen the article? Send me a PM with an email address if you want a copy.

Basics:
James Nulty, Rockville Street; mother’s name, Catherine; he has a sister, Kathleen; married, February 1921; left wife October 1931; imprisoned for conspiracy to fraud; on release went to England; married there bigamously; first wife died November 1933; uncle Shortt took charge of children of first marriage, Kathleen and Lily; Mark and Bernard Shortt charged with abduction; Grand Jury found “No Bill”

No mention of anything military.

FreeBMD has a marriage to a Mabel A Curtis, March quarter, 1933, Hendon, and another the same quarter the following year, Winchester, presumably the first bigamous, the second legit.

Rex

Offline wavey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 01 February 12 14:23 GMT (UK) »
That's him!!!!! Amazing!!!!! Please could you send me the article? Not sure how to send you a pm but will try now. I can't believe we missed that but all of that fits!!!

Offline wavey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 01 February 12 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ady! Just seen your comment about there being no James Nulty listed as one of James Nulty senior's children - it seems that he only listed the children still at home at that point in 1914 as both John and James had left home by then and neither of them are listed on the papers yet both are listed at home with this family as sons on the 1911 census. John was in the army in 1914. Gawd knows where James was - doesn't seem to be much of a likelihood that he was also in the army as I am now convinced that none of the medals on the card are his. Still hoping to work out whose they are!!

Offline wavey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 01 February 12 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello all! Rex has sent me an article that shows that our James Nulty was convicted of fraud in his twenties and bigamy in his thirties. I am now almost certain that he did not serve in the first world war and probably not in the second either. The medals card is therefore interesting!

Offline forester

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 01 February 12 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Wavey,

Bit by bit.

I don't know what's in the article Rex sent you, but after searching all the Gazettes, I found one more entry for James Joseph Nulty in the Belfast Gazette (link below). He entered the Civil Service in Belfast as a clerk in the Dept of Labour on 1st July 1922.

http://www.belfast-gazette.co.uk/issues/290/pages/25

Does this fit in with the fraud conviction?

Phil

Sussex: Satcher (Hamsey) and Gatton (East Grinstead)
Leicestershire: Pratt
South Wales: Evans (Neath)
Poland: Gonet, Deren

Forest Row: War Memorial and Camp WW1
Lewisham War Memorials & WW1 Graves

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk