Author Topic: Army uniform  (Read 438 times)

Offline Leslie Howard

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Army uniform
« on: Tuesday 05 August 14 11:16 BST (UK) »
This photograph of my grandfather was taken 1913-1915. I know this because the girl, my auntie Olive only lived that long. Unfortunately none of our family know what regiment he was in or where he served. He was born 1881 and died 1953. When the 1911 census was taken he was living in Wavertree, Liverpool. I wonder if anyone can tell by his uniform what his regiment is.   

Offline genechaser

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Army uniform
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 August 14 11:28 BST (UK) »
Hi

Looking at the Lanyard on the left shoulder and the Badge on the breast pocket of the boy.

The soldier is in the Royal Artillery.

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 August 14 19:41 BST (UK) »
He is also wearing spurs so most likely Driver rank.

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 August 14 20:28 BST (UK) »
Hi, welcome to Rootschat, just to add my opinion, I have to agree with what has been said, certainly looks like the child is wearing a Artillery badge, and your Grandfather is wearing spurs so most likely driver with the Royal Artillery.

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline alan o

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 11:08 BST (UK) »
Lots of regts wore lanyards in WW1 and not just the RA.  It's a common fallacy that a lanyard=RA.  They were used for the practical purpose of securing clasp knives and the like.  other than that i would agree.

Have you checked whether his medal card is on Ancestry as they are free to review this month?