Author Topic: Please Identify the uniform  (Read 580 times)

Offline Karen Beatty

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Please Identify the uniform
« on: Tuesday 19 August 14 17:46 BST (UK) »
This is a photo of my great Uncle.  I believe the photo is taken between 1903 and WWI.  I believe he may have been in the Greek Cavalry,  the family was living in Florina,Pisoder,Thesoloniki,Kastoria or Near the Turkish border.  Any help would be appreciated. :)

I am very happy to receive a response from John915.  I have been looking for years and love to hear an answer from you.  It is obvious I have no Idea how to thank you in a seperate memo as I am not used to this site yet.  Again THANK YOU!!!

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Please Identify the uniform
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 18:42 BST (UK) »
Good evening,

He is a brigadier in the Greek army circa 1910/1920. Whether he is cavalry I can't tell as yet, a little more research needed.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 August 14 07:14 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, Brilliant pic, you should really post it on the Photograhic Restoration board they will restore the pic, they are extremely professional.

James

Offline apwright

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 August 14 09:38 BST (UK) »
He is a brigadier in the Greek army circa 1910/1920.
There's no way he's a Brigadier(-General)! A general officer would wear boots & spurs and carry a sword, etc. He wouldn't be dressed and equipped as a footsoldier.
I think you must be looking at modern Hellenic rank insignia, where crossed-swords over a single star = Brigadier/Taxiarhos. Back then, a Taxiarhos wore a single silver star on a gold shoulder board.

I reckon they are crossed cannons, and the fellow is an artilleryman. No other rank insignia that I can see, so perhaps only a humble Gunner.

And it's pre-1915, when the coloured shoulder boards were replaced by plain khaki shoulder straps.

Adrian

Offline Karen Beatty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 August 14 18:03 BST (UK) »
It has been a frustrating time to identify the uniform of my great uncle.  I searched the internet for a very long time with no result.  Thank you all for getting me closer to the goal.  Another puzzle piece is in place.  I look forward to more questions asked in the future.  Many thanks again to all.