Author Topic: John MAYHEW, Francis HUBBARD, James BARRITT/BARRETT - Suffolk Families  (Read 27608 times)

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
Re: John MAYHEW, Francis HUBBARD, James BARRITT/BARRETT - Suffolk Families
« Reply #27 on: Monday 12 September 11 16:06 BST (UK) »
Michael and Linda,

Welcome both of you to Rootschat  ;D

You have both now made three postings to the Suffolk Message Board so you can contact each other by Private Message - that way you can exchange email addresses and personal information directly.

Pat ...

Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline fivebees

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 12 September 11 20:43 BST (UK) »
hi barretts and kin,

after reading through the thread, the following points might be helpful.

1. gwenda webb of launceston, who is now in her 80s has done extensive research on john barrett the convict going forward.  she has failing eyesight but still takes an interest in our very colourful past.  she has written a paper on the descendents of john (johny) barrett which is deposited in the tasmanian state library along with a box of the primary documents and notes.  she recently had a whole page published in the launceston examiner about john barrett and his timber yard in launceston.  it is worth reading.  i recommend for those who are interested to contact gwenda.

2. i have economics and business degrees and worked in the business faculty at a university in melbourne before retiring.  so i might be able to shed a little light on the reasons why the barretts left suffolk for london and why many ended up in australia.  i recommend you have a look at a few internet sources such as wikipedia for better understanding of my thoughts about our origins.

the late 1700s was a time of great turmoil in the british empire. african slavery (cheap labour) was coming to an end in north america and the british were being thrown out of america.  furthermore, the industrial revolution was in full swing with the introduction of mechanisation of manufacturing and also agriculture.  while the luddites were smashing up machines in the factories similar protests (riots) were occuring with mechanisation in agricultural areas such as suffolk. 

furthermore, there was a huge debate going on between the free traders and the protectionists.  it was really no different to what we see today.  economics students today still learn about david ricardo's principles of comparative advantage.  in the early 1800s the corn laws were introduced to protect farmers from competition from imported wheat by charging a tariff.  corn was the generic name for wheat (not maize). domestic production had expanded during the neopolonic wars since there were no imports.  city folk protested against the high prices due to the laws, and farmers introduced mechanisation to reduce costs when tariffs were reduced.  the result was that many farmers and others left to find work in the cities, especially london.

london became hopelessly overcrowded leading to poverty and petty crime.  this was the time of charles dickens and the barretts lived in the area he wrote about.  to solve the problem of a shortage of labour in the emerging colonies in australia, convicts were taken from the streets of london for cheap (slave) labour, never to return.

i guess we all know this, but i still find it very "romantic" that out roots lie in dicken's london.

my contact is (*).  please tell me a little about yourself and your contact(s).

i'm happy to send you any of the references  collected so far.

btw, i have the barrett's family bible which was a gift from amos to john.

regards

michael b

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline T_NZ

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 10 October 11 01:36 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am a great-great-great-grandon of "Honest" John Barrett, living in NZ. Here's what I know:

- He was transported on board the Champion Ship at age 14, for highway robbery.
- He spent nearly 20 years in Van Diemens land before being pardoned
- After being pardoned he went on to marry and have 12 children.  The details of these children are provided here: http://www.tasfamily.net.au/%7Emeryl/barr.htm

I was a descendant of the 12th and final child, Esther Maria Barrett.  She went on to marry John Rich (1862-1939) and joined him on board the Royal Tar bound for Paraguay on the New Australia Mission (details of which can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Australia ), before settling in New Zealand.

If anyone has any further specific information on this man's life, or his time at Van Diemens Land, this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Offline deon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 10 October 11 02:41 BST (UK) »

Hi
I assume that you have checked out the previous threads and using the links that Michael has given you have been able to glean that there is info to be found and exchanged. I would suggest that Michael rather than me  has the most info on the Barretts in Tassie though I am happy to share. I do have a brief history of your family in NZ that was given to me after it was provided by your family in NZ but more info would not go astray. I have provided Michael and others with photos of John Jnr and his wife Anna Mercy Knight and Michael has provided maps for properties at Bangor etc. To date no one has located John's wife Ann Broadhurst so she remains a mystery. This is my husbands family not mine but I think that I have learnt more than he knows.

Linda

Offline Mistertee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 16 March 12 09:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi TassieGirl123, fivebees, BobHed and others.

James Barrett & Frances Mayhew are my 5th Grandparents.  I am descended from their son James m Margaret Moorcock.

James and Rebeca's children are; Robert, George b 11 Oct 1792, James b 8 Jan 1795, Fanny b 21 Feb 1797, William b 7 Feb 180, Harriot b 1 Jan 1805, Rebbecca b 6 Dec 1807, Richard b 5 Feb 1809, John b 6 Jun 1812, Dennis b 9 Oct 1814 and Amos b 20 Oct 1816.

On the Moorcock side; Mary b 30 Apr 1793, Elizabeth b 7 Dec 1794, Martha b 13 Apr 1797, Maria b 13 Nov 1798, Margaret b 25 Feb 1800, Melicent b 22 Jan 1803, Mercy b 1806 and William 21 Nov 1807.

If anyone wants more information on the Barrett's in the UK let me know and I can pass on what I have.

Regards,
Mistertee.

Offline fivebees

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 16 March 12 13:58 GMT (UK) »
hello mistertee,

i would love to know your full details.

it's really great to finally make another barrett contact in the uk.  linda and i have had a lot of dialogue with bob brock who lives in the south of england, but as things go, his research has moved along another branch away from the barrett family in australia from his connection with anna mercy knight, a cousin, who married john barrett jnr (see below).

i am a direct descendant of "honest" john barrett the convict who was sentenced to death at the age of 14 years for the alleged theft of an umbrella in london. he had his sentence commuted to transportation (asia 2) for life to van diemen's land (now the state of tasmania). amos (george v) and rebecca plus son (harmony) were also convicts with similar petty crimes. the old bailey court reports for all three can now be be found on the internet and make interesting reading.  i'm happy to send you the references.

researching our family history has been difficult since up until about 20 years ago, tasmanians rarely spoke about their convict origins.  they just wanted to bury the past and went to great lengths to cover it up.  it was called "the stain" and books are now written about it.  today, it is a big "industry" in tasmania.  some convict descendant call themselves "australian royalty".  hahaha

we know that john worked as an indentured labourer on what is now a large merino sheep stud  property near ross in central tasmania until receiving a pardon, then became a very successful timber merchant in launceston, was very active in the weslyan methodist church, had many children, then moved to turners marsh about 20 kms ne of launceston.  he owned a slate mine nearby which was exported to victoria for roofing. barretts are still spread all over n and ne tasmania, and a few like my line moved to the mainland for work in the 1920s. his siblings were less successful than john, upon who they relied for support at times.  i still have the family bible presented by amos to john.

amos was a french polisher and cabinet maker in hobart, and rebecca, from what we can deduce, had a pretty awful life after marrying a free settler through convenience so he could buy land and she receive a pardon.  how she died is somewhat inconclusive. her son who came on the harmony with her died at around 30 years, which is when her husband left the scene.

please email me at (*) with your full mailing address so i can send you a research paper on john barrett prepared by gwenda webb, a barrett cousin in launceston. she is over 80 now with failing sight so has relied on the rest of us to carry on with the research.  i still owe bob a copy.

on my part, i am now 62 and retired from a senior lecturer position in the business faculty at a university in melbourne and have been studying ceramics for several years as part of a career change.  i am the son of geoffrey barrett, the son of reginald henry barrett, the son of robert henry barrett, the son of john barrett jnr and anna mercy knight, who was the son of john the convict. bob's connection is through anna mercy knight.

my research objective is to trace the barrett line from john the convict back to suffolk where we believe from our research, they were all born.  since it was a time of considerable turmoil in england brought about through the corn laws, and the agricultural and industrial revolution, somehow the barretts ended up in london.  apparently john had a metal works making cutlery - a cutler.  so the socio-economic context has been part of my investigations. 

from my library research so far in australia i thought they lived at 16 st martins lane london since amos was arrested around the corner, but bob believes they probably lived in spitalfields. his logic is pretty sound.  it still remains a bit of a mystery to me why three of james and rebecca's children were delinquent and the others seemed to get by ok.

my wife liz and i hope to visit the uk soon, but not for the games, so i can walk the streets of london, visit suffolk, and understand a little more about my roots.

please contact us soon since we would really love to find out more about the uk family tree.

cheers

michael geoffrey barrett

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline BobHed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 16 March 12 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Due to some problems with my computer (or my fingers), my reply has been sent to a new stream in the Suffolk strand titled "Barrett / Moorcock families). Hope that doesn't cause problems for anyone.

Offline dunvr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 17 March 12 00:54 GMT (UK) »
fivebees

Quote: my research objective is to trace the barrett line from john the convict back to suffolk where we believe from our research, they were all born.  since it was a time of considerable turmoil in england brought about through the corn laws, and the agricultural and industrial revolution, somehow the barretts ended up in london.  apparently john had a metal works making cutlery - a cutler.  so the socio-economic context has been part of my investigations.

Note: I cannot get further back than James Barret who married in Suffolk in 1792 but I have suspicions on his ancestry

Rebecca(h) Mayhew bp 31st Oct 1773 m  28th Jun 1792 m James Barrett/Barritt,

The Mayhew line I have back to 1694 and the Hubbard line back to 1680 with a possible link back to 1621. Whilst I had many Parishes searched in Suffolk for these names, James Barrett's line draws a blank.

There is a William Barrett who married 1st May 1733 in Thorndon to Mary Lillastone from Stoke Ash and in my view they are the grandparents of James Barritt/Barrett who married 1792. James Barrett called one of his sons William Barrett who was baptised 10th Feb 1800 in Stoke Ash, elder brother of your John Barrett born 1812. There are elder children to James & Rebecca but here are some of the younger ones  from the OPR.

10 Feb 1800      William   son of   James & Rebecca   Barrett/Mayhew
26 May 1805      Harriet   dau of   James & Rebecca   Barrett/Mayhew
6 Dec 1807      Rebeccah   dau of   James & Revecca   Barrett/Mayhew
26 Mar 1809      Richard   son of   James & Rebecca   Barrett/Mayhew
8 May 1811      John   son of   James & Rebeca   Barrett/Mayhew
26 July 1812      John   son of    James & Rebecca   Barrett/Mayhew

Interestingly here is an early burial

6 Nov 1651   Alice   Borrett      Thorndon   wife of George Borrett

George & Alice should be an ancestor since James & Rebecca called their son George Barrett (my ancestor). Other burials in Thorndon ar:

15 Oct 1792   11 Nov 1792   George   son of   James & Rebecca   Barrett (late Mayhew)      
25 Feb 1797   27 Feb 1797   Fanny   dau of   James & Rebecca   Barrett (late Mayhew)      

The above George as stated is my direct ancestor.

An interesting Marriage entry here for Eye Parish:

21 Dec 1773   Robert   Barrell?   Single   OTP   Frances   Goooderham   Spinster   OTP

Note Barrell should be Barrett as shown by some births:

Ok baptisms in Eye parish and note we are missing 1173 -  1779:

4 Oct 1779   John   son of   Robert & Frances   Barrell
4 July 1782   Mary Ann   dau of   Robert & Frances   Barrel
28 Aug 1785   Mary   dau of   Robert & Frances   Barrel
9 Nov 1788   Ann   dau of   Robert & Frances   Barrett

Could James Barrett/Barritt born abt 1774 be an elder son of Robert & Frances?

I think he is. Even John Barrett born 1812 called one of his sons Robert Barrett . Ok so:

John Barrett bp 26th Jul 1812, Stoke Ash, Suffolk
Married Ann Broadhurst 1824 - 1881
Marriage 15th Nov 1842, Launceston, Tasmania
John Barrett died 26th Mar 1888, Tasmania

Issue:

James Barrett b 1843 so named after John's father
John Barrett b 1845 named after John
Rebecca Barrett b 1847 named after Rebecca Mayhew
George Barrett b 1849 named after my ancestor
Mary Ann Barrett b 1851
Robert Henry Barrett  probably named after Robert Barrett who married 1773
Harriet Louisa Barrett b 1854
Martha Amelia Barrett b 1856
William Charles Barrett b 1858 named after William Barrett 1733
and others not shown

So we know the Barrett's were strong in Thorndon and Stoke Ash Suffolk. There for the proposed line currently looks like this:

George Barrett m Alice ? She died 6th Nov 1651 in Thorndom, Suffolk
issue:
Barrett??
Issue:
William Barrett b abt 1715 m 1st May 1733 to Mary Lillastone
Issue:
Barrett??
Issue:
Robert Barrell/Barrett born abt 1750 m in Eye 21st Dec 1773 to Frances Goodehar
Issue:
James Barrett/Barritt born abt 1774  m 1792 Rebecca Mayhew
Issue:
John Barrett and others

Hope that helps

Offline dunvr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 17 March 12 01:28 GMT (UK) »
To add another possible name in the line

John Barrett born abt 1675 married 30th Nov 1693 to Mary Mayhew in Bedingfield Parish Suffolk

Very possible William Barrett born around 1715 is one of their younger children