Author Topic: Where did this man serve ?  (Read 6011 times)

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where did this man serve ?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 01 September 14 17:12 BST (UK) »
Smudwhisk
what you have there is a Silver War Badge listing which was on the same card as some of the Medal Index Cards are on.
If he had been awarded medals they are usually stamped on in a box showing which of three he was entitled.
If there is nothing and it says as yours does "list" that means he was pensioned off and has Silver War Badge but no overseas service.
If you marry it up with the rolls on ancestry it will give his badge number and date of enlistment and discharge if its not on the card

There were three types of Medal Index Card

Uk service including Ireland didn't entitle you (in most cases )to medals.

Forgot to mention....sometimes there are two cards...one with just an initial then surname
National Archives Discovery is sometimes better at searching than ancestry.

hope this helps.

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: Where did this man serve ?
« Reply #19 on: Monday 01 September 14 17:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Ady

I agree, it was the award of the SWB but it does appear in the same "collection" on ancestry, and for that matter at the NA, as the Medal Roll Index Cards.  I originally had a printout from Documents Online which was digitised from the microfilms, although from memory I think it didn't contain my grandfather's full name, just first name and middle initial.  I still have it somewhere.  The ancestry images are digitised from the original cards so have retained that image rather than the former as better quality.  I also have a copy of the War Office Roll entry for my grandfather which Jim1 was inferring too.

I accept I used the wrong terminology originally, but my point was that some men awarded the SWB do have cards which appear in the Medal Roll Index even if they weren't awarded medals but just the SWB. ;)  Hence some of the confusion.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day